Author Topic: Planning to topwork Ugly Betty...suggestions?  (Read 1766 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Planning to topwork Ugly Betty...suggestions?
« on: February 18, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »

I love the taste of Ugly Betty and it is the first to flower in my yard, season after season, but the tree has been a poor producer in my yard. This year was the worst; a tree covered in flowers and not even one fruit has set. The tree, I have noticed, is susceptible to powdery mildew. Has Zills stopped propagating it?

I am planning to maybe let a branch stay and graft a couple of new varieties onto the tree. I have Sugarloaf in mind; I like the taste and have heard that the tree is very productive. What other variety is productive and really good, taste-wise?  Suggestions welcome.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Planning to topwork Ugly Betty...suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
Following. My ugly Betty has not even flowered in its 4th season

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:39:47 AM »
What about Guava mango?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
Ugly Betty has been a big disappointment for us as well. Gary Zill’s ugly Betty trees, which are much older of course, have seemed to produce well

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
I have a small Ugly Betty Tree (like 3 ft tall) that I have had for over a year now. It flowered like crazy this spring and set half a dozen fruits. I let them get to grape size and then culled them (tree is too small to hold fruits anyway). But in our desert climate Ugly Betty seems to be a very happy camper.
- Mark

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 03:31:13 PM »

I love the taste of Ugly Betty and it is the first to flower in my yard, season after season, but the tree has been a poor producer in my yard. This year was the worst; a tree covered in flowers and not even one fruit has set. The tree, I have noticed, is susceptible to powdery mildew. Has Zills stopped propagating it?

I am planning to maybe let a branch stay and graft a couple of new varieties onto the tree. I have Sugarloaf in mind; I like the taste and have heard that the tree is very productive. What other variety is productive and really good, taste-wise?  Suggestions welcome.

Sugar loaf has an amazing flavor, do you know for sure about it's productivity?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
I'm thinking if you have the space it probably takes 10 years to evaluate a variety's productivity since so many factors play into it.
-pruning
-soil
-weather-wind-temp-rain-dry-fog-hail-
-fertility
-wind
-disease prevalence
-biennial habit
-insects
-microclimate

For instance, this year almost all mango trees in my area had a bad year, but a very few were outstanding. Certainly that wasn't variety and almost as certain it was weather related. Most had good flowering. I noticed much higher fruit load on trees on the east side, but others noticed good fruiting on the north. However, some varieties with low exposure did just fine. We had a norther wind storm not too cold but wind to 50 mph who knows what that did it shredded bananas. Very tough decisions to make with so many variables....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk