Author Topic: Fruit fly control in South Florida  (Read 1343 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Fruit fly control in South Florida
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »
For those of us that live in South Florida where we're primarily dealing with the Caribbean fruit fly, what methods are you using to control, stop, and/or viciously murder them?

I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube from Hawaii, Ghana, etc., but I'm more confused now given that different fly species seem to have different means of control.

Not sure if protein baits, apple cider vinegar, etc. work to control our local fly population, but I need to start being proactive with loquat season approaching and the flies fattening up on carambola now.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit fly control in South Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
You can delete some from your property but too many wild or uncared for loquat that you get overwhelmed with new bugs anyhow

Bag some or plant a mango instead are your choices most likely

Nectarines instead of peaches solved one problem but I removed the loquats because of the flys

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:47:09 AM »
Does anyone out there have any actual solutions that don't involve burning trees to the ground?

I'm guessing we lost around 150 lbs of loquat and at least a couple dozen peaches this year to the fruit flies. Peaches can be bagged in organza bags which somewhat works, but I don't see that working for loquat. Does anyone down here use an effective trap to at least reduce the population?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
Following.
Har

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »
People around here use Ferula asafoetida gum and arabic gum mixed with hot water. They use this solution to paint the trunk of tree and it is usually used for Jujube. It works as an Insect repellent.

I personally never tried it, but i will try it once my jujube tree start flowering.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:25:07 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk