Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183159 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
Definitely pure mexican and not fuerte.  Good job!  Those are good avos for northern CA.
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »
Wow, I'm sure embarrassed.  When I planted three Avocado trees years back, I had two type-A (Bacon and Mexicola) + one type-b Furte.  I intended to plant the Furte in between the two Type-A trees.  This middle tree always showed the most growth and height by at least a factor of 50%.  So I've had it in my mind that this tree is a Furte for many years.  But this definitely is not Furte fruit, and it definitely is a Mexicola with the thin anise flavored skin.  I think the tree to the left of it must be the Furte, and that tree is holding one single Green, slightly variegated in green/yellow color avocado.  I think the tree to the right must be my Bacon, which didn't set any fruit this year.  So Furte is supposed to be far superior in taste/consistency to Mexicola, which means I was tasting the lesser specimen.  That, at least, is good news. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:26:56 PM by z_willus_d »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Fuerte has spekkles on the wood.  Bacon had larger more robust leaves.  If you post photos it should be easy to tell whats what.
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
Hi Brad, here are some pics of the three trees.  I may have posted one or more of these before.  I now believe left to right these are: Fuerte, Mexicola, Bacon.
Thanks!

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 12, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »
Does anybody have any experience with fruiting/ripening/taste of Lila and Winter Mexican avocados in Central Florida? Chose these two because they *should* handle even our coldest winters without issue. From the very few reports I’ve read fruit quality is at least decent...but again, not a lot of information out there.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 18, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
I was on a trip this past weekend in the Pacific Northwest (CA), and I ran into an Avocado tree in front of a local bakery in the heart of the Ocean peninsula town of Mendocino, CA.  I'm always happy to see random Avocado trees in public.  Here're a couple pics.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 18, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
I was on a trip this past weekend in the Pacific Northwest (CA), and I ran into an Avocado tree in front of a local bakery in the heart of the Ocean peninsula town of Mendocino, CA.  I'm always happy to see random Avocado trees in public.  Here're a couple pics.

Oh, I think I may have seen this tree before! My wife and I go out to fort bragg and the botanical gardens frequently and have stopped and toured that area a couple of times.
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 18, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »
Very cool Kris.  We love that area, and spend much time there when we have it.  Coastal Redwoods are inimitable.  I didn't see any fruit on the tree, so I guess the owners know what they're doing (or maybe it's too foggy to fruit much).

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
Heres some stewart avocados next to lamb hass.  The stewarts are really nice avocados and only take 6 or 7 months to mature.  The lamb hass had an extra year on the tree.  Lamb hass season is from mid summer until fall.  Stewart is now during fall.  The stewarts get ripe and fall off the tree which is not great.  Animals get them if you don't go collect them often.  These stewarts are so much better than mexicola, I am going to dig out my mexicola tree and make mulch out of it.

Lamb hass on top, stewart on bottom

Stewarts cut open
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:32:33 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 22, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
Brad, why don't you top work your mexicola to Stewart! Nice avo's i love Stewart 8)

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 22, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
Nice to hear that you prefer the stewart over mexicola. I expect mine to do better than my other two trees as it's my most cold hardy variety. How heavily does it produce, and do you know if it's alternate bearing?
My wife was trying to talk me in to planting a mexicola because she had one and liked it and I don't want to plant another tree... haha.
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 22, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Brad, why don't you top work your mexicola to Stewart! Nice avo's i love Stewart 8)

Even though stewart is a nice avocado, it doesnt really perform well here.  Its not a vigorous tree and suffers in the intense heat here.  Its nice to eat this time of year when most stuff is out of season, thats about it.  Doubful I would be able to market these.  They have a very short season and short shelf life.  So one tree for the family is good. I will be planting more lamb hass trees.

I considered stumping the mexicola and grafting onto it but feel its better to remove it completely and start with a freshly grafted rootstock and completely eliminate the interstock.  The tree is still young enough the stump should be able to be removed.

Ive got a new mexicola grande tree I grafted this summer and planted out a couple months ago.  It is doing really well so far.  Very upright and vigorous.   Too soon to call it a success.  Probably get some fruit off it in 2020.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:01:30 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 22, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
Nice to hear that you prefer the stewart over mexicola. I expect mine to do better than my other two trees as it's my most cold hardy variety. How heavily does it produce, and do you know if it's alternate bearing?
My wife was trying to talk me in to planting a mexicola because she had one and liked it and I don't want to plant another tree... haha.

Stewart sets and holds a lot of avos.  No its not alternate bearing, the fruit are only on the tree half a year so it can fruit every year and not get bogged down with last years fruit.  It will grow better if you thin the fruit.  Its one of the trees that fruits so hard it doesn't spend enough time actually growing.

One thing I really dont like about this tree is the fruit gets ripe really fast and falls off the tree.  They go from green to black in a few weeks then end up on the ground where animals and birds get them.  You have to take the fruit on its schedule not yours. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:20:41 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 22, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »
I don't have to many animals I'd be worried about eating avocados.
My Lamb Hass seems to be growing the best out of all of mine. They're all still in pots... I'm sure they're all going to take off when planted this spring.
What would you recommend for spacing for these trees? I plan on putting them all in a corner of my yard and planting them as close as possible. (Lamb-Hass, Holiday, Stewart, and the future GEM)
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 22, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
I don't have to many animals I'd be worried about eating avocados.
My Lamb Hass seems to be growing the best out of all of mine. They're all still in pots... I'm sure they're all going to take off when planted this spring.
What would you recommend for spacing for these trees? I plan on putting them all in a corner of my yard and planting them as close as possible. (Lamb-Hass, Holiday, Stewart, and the future GEM)

Thought you had a lot of rodents?

I would put them at 10ft space at least.  8ft would be absolute minimum.
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 22, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
I wander around my yard every night so shouldn't be a problem to have fruit that fall of when ready. I'm only on about a quarter of an acre so it's not a real chore for me to check.
Rodents are bad in my fenced off garden, though not too bad lately. Think I've got them mostly exterminated. The avocado trees will go in the corner my dog likes to hang out in, hopefully that will help. 10ft is what I'll probably end up doing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:05:47 PM by zephian »
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 22, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »
I wander around my yard every night so shouldn't be a problem to have fruit that fall of when ready. I'm only on about a quarter of an acre so it's not a real chore for me to check.
Rodents are bad in my fenced off garden, though not too bad lately. Think I've got them mostly exterminated. The avocado trees will go in the corner my dog likes to hang out in, hopefully that will help. 10ft is what I'll probably end up doing.

You might get lucky and the cooler fall weather up there will make them hang longer and not fall off so quick.
Brad Spaugh

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
Hello everyone! I nead one advice regarding the most cold hardy, best tasting and prolific avocado? Maby stewart, pinkerton or another one? Thank's!  ;D

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 24, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
Heres a lamb hass next to stewart.  The lamb is really superior in every way.  The only thing stewart has going for it over lamb is that it ripens in 6 months instead of 12 to 18.  The lamb tree is really vigorous, heat and salt tolerant, heavy producing.  This is a really good avocado to grow.

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 30, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Heres a lamb hass next to stewart.  The lamb is really superior in every way.  The only thing stewart has going for it over lamb is that it ripens in 6 months instead of 12 to 18.  The lamb tree is really vigorous, heat and salt tolerant, heavy producing.  This is a really good avocado to grow.

Wow, beautiful fruit, speaking of which....

Recent grafts of Lamb Hass, Pinkerton and Sharwil on shoots that came up from a frozen Oro Negro stump.  This Frankencado is about 4' tall now.  I expect it to go dormant soon with the colder weather.

New GEM grafts:

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 30, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »
Nice work Mark, your tree's are returning nicely wishing you the best growth ;) 8)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 30, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Mark, are you growing stewart, can't remember if you got that one growing?  I think Im going to yank mine.  Its a good fruit but they fall off and the tops of the fruit all crack.  Then they fall off and fire ants and rodents start eating them.  Its pretty annoying.  Heres some that fell today.  Ants were eating them where they are cracked and a mouse ate one of them. 

Brad Spaugh

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 30, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
Brad, what should a Stewart look like when it is prime for harvest?  I have my first, very small, crop this year.  Should it have a little bit of black on the skin, or be completely black?  Thanks.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 30, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
Brad, what should a Stewart look like when it is prime for harvest?  I have my first, very small, crop this year.  Should it have a little bit of black on the skin, or be completely black?  Thanks.

All black. 

You can let them get all black and pick or let them fall off.  They will not get over ripe, they just fall off the tree when ready.  At least thats what happens here.  Theres a few pics of them on this page I posted.  Thats how they come off the tree, black as night.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:47:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
I want to hask if some one can send me good variety cold hardy avocado seeds. I tried to buy trees from US but it wasn't possible. Thank you very much!   ;D