Author Topic: Honda wood chipper ?.  (Read 3391 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Honda wood chipper ?.
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »
A few days ago, I went to some local hardware stores looking for wood chipper. I Went to 20 stores but I only found it in one store and they are selling multiple types (engine); Electric, diesel and Petrol. The diesel wood chipper is completely made in China (engine and body), the Petrol wood chipper comes with Honda GX390 11.7HP but the body is made in china. The Electric one is made in Brazil by trapp and it is the cheapest.

So my question is, How good is Honda GX390 engine ?. I know they are supposed to be better than Briggs and Stratton but I would love to hear more opinions.

Thanks
Moh'd

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Honda wood chipper ?.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
It's not just the engine. How are the chips being made? This question is a hardy perennial here but I think hammer action chippers are supposed to be the most reliable.

Honda engines are supposed to the best. Won't you find more service for a Honda where you are, rather than a Briggs Stratton? I bought a Brigg Stratton lawnmower not long ago but I am in USA where Briggs is very common.

For a new Honda small engine cast in China. Run it a few hours then dump out the oil and replace with new oil. Get straight 30 weight oil for your climate. 30 weight motor oil. Not 30 weight gear oil.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
I think that's the same motor on my $4k merry mac "commercial" chipper. It was an upgrade from the briggs & strat. If so, then that's a nice motor.

I think the chinese do strap high quality American / Japanese motors to their knock off chippers. I had a Chinese knockoff / copy of a Mighty Mac with a briggs & strat motor (I actually met the guy who shipped the original unit to China to have them replicate it --- he eventually got banned from dealing Mackissic :D).

The motor never gave issues (in fact, when I sold it, I priced it solely on the motor), but the chipper broke down every chance it got. I'm pretty handy with wrenches (was a Chevy mechanic way back in the day), so I was usually able to fix. However, having to fix it vs use it every other weekend got to be a drag... that's when I upgraded to what I have now.

So, I would be really skeptical of a chinese made chipper. Even though the motor is awesome, there's no guarantee that your chipper will last. I imagine there might be a good / high quality chinese chipper manufacturer out there, but I've personally never seen one. Check to see if the chipper replacement parts are readily obtainable. You shouldn't have to worry about fixing the motor much. Those things are bullet proof.
Jeff  :-)

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:31:30 PM »
Regarding the Trapp chippers in Brazil, the cheaper ones are underpowered and can't do more than 2".  There are commercial Trapp's that are much better, but they come at a price.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »
It's not just the engine. How are the chips being made? This question is a hardy perennial here but I think hammer action chippers are supposed to be the most reliable.

Honda engines are supposed to the best. Won't you find more service for a Honda where you are, rather than a Briggs Stratton? I bought a Brigg Stratton lawnmower not long ago but I am in USA where Briggs is very common.

For a new Honda small engine cast in China. Run it a few hours then dump out the oil and replace with new oil. Get straight 30 weight oil for your climate. 30 weight motor oil. Not 30 weight gear oil.

I went yesterday to the store, He gave me a link to a Chinese electric shredder. He told me the body design is the same but the petrol version comes with honda and it is little bit more expensive.

Both honda and Briggs-Stratton spare part should be available in here. In fact, a few months ago I changed the the blade of my Briggs-Stratton Lawn mower.

Don't worry about the oil because I change my car engine oil by myself. The Manual recommend 10W-40.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/engines/pdf/manuals/31ZH9600.pdf
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »
I think that's the same motor on my $4k merry mac "commercial" chipper. It was an upgrade from the briggs & strat. If so, then that's a nice motor.

I think the chinese do strap high quality American / Japanese motors to their knock off chippers. I had a Chinese knockoff / copy of a Mighty Mac with a briggs & strat motor (I actually met the guy who shipped the original unit to China to have them replicate it --- he eventually got banned from dealing Mackissic :D).

The motor never gave issues (in fact, when I sold it, I priced it solely on the motor), but the chipper broke down every chance it got. I'm pretty handy with wrenches (was a Chevy mechanic way back in the day), so I was usually able to fix. However, having to fix it vs use it every other weekend got to be a drag... that's when I upgraded to what I have now.

So, I would be really skeptical of a chinese made chipper. Even though the motor is awesome, there's no guarantee that your chipper will last. I imagine there might be a good / high quality chinese chipper manufacturer out there, but I've personally never seen one. Check to see if the chipper replacement parts are readily obtainable. You shouldn't have to worry about fixing the motor much. Those things are bullet proof.

Thank you very much for your input.

Here is the picture.  This is the electrical version. The petrol wood shredder should come with 11.7hp Honda and weight around 240KG (about 550 LBS).

The price is 1100 USD.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:41:51 PM »
Regarding the Trapp chippers in Brazil, the cheaper ones are underpowered and can't do more than 2".  There are commercial Trapp's that are much better, but they come at a price.

Thanks man.

I have seen a large trapp wood shredder for 2.5k USD but works on electric.
Moh'd

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
11 HP is equivalent to 8 KW.
How many KW is your motor?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »
That looks like another knock off of the Mighty Mac SC800. However, if the thing weighs 550 pounds, it's probably a really nice one. Mine probably weight 150 pounds max. I'd probably buy it. Looks decent.

Here is the picture.  This is the electrical version. The petrol wood shredder should come with 11.7hp Honda and weight around 240KG (about 550 LBS).

The price is 1100 USD.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
That looks like another knock off of the Mighty Mac SC800. However, if the thing weighs 550 pounds, it's probably a really nice one. Mine probably weight 150 pounds max. I'd probably buy it. Looks decent.

The price is 1100 USD.

Thanks Jeff.

I'm not sure if the the store worker is right about the weight of the Machine. Anyway, The machine is currently out of stock and a new stock should be arriving very soon. Once I get it I will post a picture.

BTW, Happy Independence day.  8)
Moh'd

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »
OK. The other thing you want to inquire about is whether or not replacement parts are easily obtained. Things like bearings, belts, and screens tend to go bad with use. I just broke the welded screen on my mackissic over the weekend but had no issue finding a replacement online.

Thanks Jeff.

I'm not sure if the the store worker is right about the weight of the Machine. Anyway, The machine is currently out of stock and a new stock should be arriving very soon. Once I get it I will post a picture.

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
Electric Trapp's in Brazil run on 220V 60Hz.  They also have electric.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 04:48:29 PM »
11 HP is equivalent to 8 KW.
How many KW is your motor?

I don't have the wood shredder yet. It should be 11.7hp = 8.7KW

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
OK. The other thing you want to inquire about is whether or not replacement parts are easily obtained. Things like bearings, belts, and screens tend to go bad with use. I just broke the welded screen on my mackissic over the weekend but had no issue finding a replacement online.

Thanks Jeff.

Bearing and belts should be easily obtainable. Honda GX390 spare parts should be available too because the engine is also used in other applications like Generators, water pumps etc. I will try to find the official dealer of Honda motors in Dubai.

I will Talk to the store worker about the other parts.

Thanks again for your help.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:00:15 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »
I'd be very skeptical of that machine for hard steady use. It might be OK for a homeowner who would use it once a year to clean up leaves and twigs. It is a hammermill shredder not really a chipper. Be aware you may have to physically push the material in and unless it has a side chute you will be lifting it vertically. NEVER buy one of these machines without actually watching one work in action at least in a video. The dealer should be willing to show you one in action. Even some videos are deceptive there is a big difference between a fresh green softwood branch and a piece of hard dry oak. Don't expect to chip palm fronds with anything but the commercial machines they are very fibrous. Don't expect to feed vines they get wound up and you have to stop dismantle and unclog machine. Don't expect to chip very soft wet material like papaya, moringa, or mombin they are usually too wet to pass and will clog up. Wheels look very narrow on this model may be hard to move in soil or sand.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
Hammermill shredders are awesome. I've been using them for over a decade. I can toss entire branches an inch thick or better and several feet long (complete with sub-branches and leaves) down the hopper. The chute takes branches much thicker (4 inches?). It is, as you indicated, not designed to take fibrous material. But that's not an issue, as it just rots on its own in a few weeks anyway.

There are cheaply made chinese knock offs that won't support steady use. I actually owned one. But, the unit here looks like it may be well made. OP said it weighs over 500 pounds, which would indicate that it's not the cheap junk I once owned.

I'd be very skeptical of that machine for hard steady use. It might be OK for a homeowner who would use it once a year to clean up leaves and twigs. It is a hammermill shredder not really a chipper. Be aware you may have to physically push the material in and unless it has a side chute you will be lifting it vertically. NEVER buy one of these machines without actually watching one work in action at least in a video. The dealer should be willing to show you one in action. Even some videos are deceptive there is a big difference between a fresh green softwood branch and a piece of hard dry oak. Don't expect to chip palm fronds with anything but the commercial machines they are very fibrous. Don't expect to feed vines they get wound up and you have to stop dismantle and unclog machine. Don't expect to chip very soft wet material like papaya, moringa, or mombin they are usually too wet to pass and will clog up. Wheels look very narrow on this model may be hard to move in soil or sand.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 07:57:14 PM »
When i was in highschool i cut,welded and did the lathe work to build a giant hammer mill.
I made the hammer mill from 1 cm thick steel( half an inch) ,had 36 hammers and the motor... was 11 KW motor ,3 phase and 3000 rpm conected in star( i think,had 1500 rpm conected the otther way ).
It crushed whole beef bones to dust .
The electric motor weighted like 100 kgs or more and the whole machine i think less than a ton.

When i sold it,i got the buyer in my metalic shack where the hammer mill was and wasnt fixed with screws in the concrete foundation .
I throwed 2 large beef bones into the chopper,it crushed them in a second then i stopped the machine and it started to vibrate and jump a little .
It made the ground shake along with the whoole metalic shack and the buyer was soo skared it wanted to flee but he couldnt find the door  ;D.
He finally bought it .

As a wood chipper i have an electric one thats small ,just 3 hp( 2,8 kw) but its geared for torque and it chops easily 2 inch thick branches or firewood.I payd only 150 dollars on it and im verry pleased with the purchase.Its made in China and altough its not a professional wood chipper i use it almost as a professional one.Made a few cubic meters of wood chips with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk