Author Topic: Baby banana plants?  (Read 1180 times)

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
Baby banana plants?
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:12:14 AM »
I have a 'truly tiny' banana plant in a pot, and it's doing pretty well.  Now, next to the plant, I see two sprouts that seem to be new banana plants.  I was not aware that this was how, or at least one way, banana plants were born. 

What I want to know is if I can expect to be able to dig them up safely and replant them into their own pot.  Is there any special way to do this for the best chance of success?  Is it simple or tough?  Is it good or bad for the parent plant?  If I did not want to use the babies, would it be best to leave them alone or cut them off?

Thanks

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Baby banana plants?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
Let them grow out till the naner is bigger.  When it's 3 ft tall or so you can separate the smaller pups by cutting where they emerge from the mama corm.  Best to ground plant if you want to have them fruit well.
Dan

chewybrian

• rockledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
Let them grow out till the naner is bigger.  When it's 3 ft tall or so you can separate the smaller pups by cutting where they emerge from the mama corm.  Best to ground plant if you want to have them fruit well.

Thanks.  I got the answer right from the bananaman!  So, when the main plant gets a bit bigger, then I dig down and snip off the little ones right where they attach to the main plant, right?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/banana/dividing-banana-pups.htm

^That says to let the puppies get to 12 inches tall first.  Is that right?  Since mine is a miniature banana plant, maybe I should take them a bit smaller than that, no?  When it was shipped to me, it was only about 5 or 6 inches tall, if memory serves.  Either way, I guess I have to sit tight a while, since they are only a couple inches tall at the moment.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »

Thanks.  I got the answer right from the bananaman!  So, when the main plant gets a bit bigger, then I dig down and snip off the little ones right where they attach to the main plant, right?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/banana/dividing-banana-pups.htm

^That says to let the puppies get to 12 inches tall first.  Is that right?  Since mine is a miniature banana plant, maybe I should take them a bit smaller than that, no?  When it was shipped to me, it was only about 5 or 6 inches tall, if memory serves.  Either way, I guess I have to sit tight a while, since they are only a couple inches tall at the moment.

I rooted even 2-3 inches pups, it depends on environment.

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
Banana plants in a "mat" (group of bananas) are connected together underground by the "corm". The corm is where the new banana pups come from. When you separate a pup from the mother plant, you need to cut away part of the corm as well. Do not snip the pup at the base!

You can separate a pup at any size, but for your first few times let it grow up a bit first.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »
When you can see roots formed on the pups then make the divisions.  Otherwise replant and wait a bit longer.  If you can get your hands on some 6-3-16 made by Diamond R ferts you will see dramatic results.  Works magic on naners!  High Potassiummm!
Dan

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:52:15 PM »
Just remember when you remove pups you will be disrupting part of the main corm's root system. Not a big deal unless the main corm is holding a heavy bunch and you loosen the roots it can let the corm topple over. The roots grow back very fast though. After fruiting is over, cut off the corm which bore fruit. You will quickly see many more pups begin to grow. At that stage, cut off all but one pup, the best one. Repeat the process after every fruiting to prune out an excess otherwise multiple stalks will become crowded and not produce as well, especially in a pot.