Author Topic: Another experience with Top Tropicals Nursery  (Read 43506 times)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Another experience with Top Tropicals Nursery
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
What is the name of that nursery? Do they ship plants? Even to California? Many true nurseries only deal with commercial bulk purchasers and can't be bothered to deal with individuals.

That nursery doesn't ship plants but deal with individuals all the time. An $85 markup + shipping charges was still mind boggling but people paid for them so I guess there was enough demand. I wouldn't pay 100 + shipping for any guava but for 15 I got one.

I've bought from TT before and would still stop by and buy from them but not before checking other sources to make sure I'm not giving away $85.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2016, 04:51:29 PM »
so far, my experience has been good. I ordered 3 mango tree . two arrive in a very bad shape and 1 was good.  Eventually, the two bad one never recovered. Toptropical is giving me a refund for the two that die.
I also got a lychee from them 3months ago . It arrive 2-3days later in great condition. It is now sending out lots of flowers.
From my experience from ordering online mango, regardless of which vendor, I always noticed that if the plant arrive in wilted, bad condition. It is 100% that the plant will not make it at all.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
so far, my experience has been good. I ordered 3 mango tree . two arrive in a very bad shape and 1 was good.  Eventually, the two bad one never recovered. Toptropical is giving me a refund for the two that die.

You call that a "GOOD" experience?   :o Boycott the bastards! 

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »
Anyone in SoCal ordered from Top Tropicals? I am thinking to order a Makok Sapodilla from them, since I cannot find it anywhere else. But the story about mislabelled plants they shipped really discourage me.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2020, 02:36:35 AM »
Anyone in SoCal ordered from Top Tropicals? I am thinking to order a Makok Sapodilla from them, since I cannot find it anywhere else. But the story about mislabelled plants they shipped really discourage me.
Have you checked champa nursery in El Monte? I bought mine from them and looks like they have Makok in stock per their website.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2020, 08:40:30 AM »

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/0/

no

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2020, 11:03:23 AM »
I've had multiple mislabeled trees from them, including a Tong Dam that turned out to be a PSM, a Quidnau that turned out to be a Cac, a Dominicana that turned out to be a Glenn, and a Heidi that was actually a Tommy Atkins. An unacceptably high rate of mislabeled trees.

So in addition to this, we had a Manilita that turned out to be a Carabao.
And I think the mango we got from them labeled “Sia Siam” might actually be Hong Sa.

Makes you wonder if they deliberately mislabel trees.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2020, 12:55:53 AM »
I've spent a small fortune at Top Tropicals. The mango trees I got from them are the ones I don't see/ find anywhere else. (I'm sure its mislabeled :D). I too bought a Heidi (or was it Mesk) from them 2 yrs back. It actually bore three delicious, medium size fibreless fruit last season but they didn't look like any Heidi/Mesk I saw on the internet (I have pics of the fruit). Carambolas....time will tell LOL. Sapodillas are expensive...and time will tell :). Half of my fortune with them was for flowering trees/shrubs/ and vines. So far they seem true. Mulberries have come true to label. Guavas....bought a "Kilo" (cv.) from them with small fruit on it...it ripened small with orange flesh...super sweet and delicious ...planted it and it died with standing water. I wonder if I'll get lucky again :).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »
Thank you everyone for the responses, i really appreaciate all. I've decided not to buy it from TT, i cannot spend 5 years caring for a tree that will turn out not true to its label. I will probably get it from champa, or graft some makok scions to my Alano. Hawkfish, i called champa, they do have makok in stock now. Thanks. How is your makok now? I had some bad experience bought a 7 gallon soursop tree for $200 from champa that has a bad rootbound and died after a year.

kevinfolta

• Fruit genetics and domestication
    • Archer, FL
    • View Profile
    • Eggsotics Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »
I have received about 10 trees from them, avocado and loquat.  They generally arrive quickly and in good shape.  However, I did receive an avocado in my last order that arrived looking a little rough. The leaves were stressed, the plant generally not vigorous.  I replanted in my plant ICU and it just continued to decline, dropping the leaves it had.  I contacted Top Tropicals by email and I think the longest reply I got was six words. I sent pictures, hoped for advice. No dice.

The sad part is that I could likely save this plant without them, but would have appreciated their guidance and advice. I work with dozens of different tree species. Customer service could have been much better.  The trees are hardly free, so I would be reluctant to order from them going forward.

Molecular biologist interested in fruit flavor and aroma, novel fruits and interesting varieties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk