Author Topic: Blue Java banana experiences  (Read 4666 times)

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Blue Java banana experiences
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
I currently have a Dwarf Namwah & Dwarf Jamaican Red.  I love the Dwarf Namwah - the thick trunk making staking unnecessary, the fruit production, the flavor etc.  Dwarf Jamaican Red, however, grows slow as molasses.  It's having faster growth this year than previous years, but I've been anticipating trying the fruit for some time.

I wanted to know about Blue Java, and if it's another banana variety I should grow, here in SoCal

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Java banana experiences
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
I've been growing Blue Java for about 6 months.  Haven't tasted the fruit yet, but the plant grows quickly.   Got it at about 18" and it's over 6' now.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »
Jamaican Red is one of the best tasting IMO.  It will take 24 month to fruit in our climate so it may be even longer in Cali.

I also highly recommend Pisang Raja and Kandrian in terms of taste.

Nothing wrong with Blue Java either.  Its whitish and fluffy creamy, like pure banana ice cream custard.
- Rob

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
I planted Blue Java at my Mom's house in Glendora (L.A. county) some years back and they do very well, and she and I and everyone else who tastes it likes the fruit. But I haven't tried too many of the other banana varieties commonly grown in Southern California so I can't say with confidence how it compares.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
I planted Blue Java at my Mom's house in Glendora (L.A. county) some years back and they do very well, and she and I and everyone else who tastes it likes the fruit. But I haven't tried too many of the other banana varieties commonly grown in Southern California so I can't say with confidence how it compares.

And the big question, do you have a real Blue Java or a Dwarf Namwa...
- Rob

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »
Planted 4 Nam Wah and 2 Blue Java at the same time same size March 2016.  The Nam Wahs are much more vigorous than the Blue Java for me.  They've really won me over.  Each Nam Wah is already fruiting size or close to it with 5-8 pups each (some of which I separated).  The Blue Javas are half the height and a third the diameter with three pups each.  Reading online, it looks like most people with both plants ended up preferring the taste of Nam Wah.

Greg A

• View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »
I have no idea if it's a real Blue Java. I'm no banana expert. The guy who gave me the original pups long ago told me they were, and the way the plants have grown as well as the way the fruit tastes agrees with much of what I've heard others say about Blue Java. But I'm definitely not sure.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
I planted 2 "Blue Javas" last year. One in morning shade in March and one in full sun at the end of April. The one up against a west wall only grew to 4 feet. Not sure if it was because of the lack of sun, soil, roots tampered with by gophers or what. The one I planted in April unbelievably grew from 18 inches to 12 feet in 4 months. I cut it back down to 6 feet and covered it for the winter. It's back up to 12-13 feet with a trunk the size of a telephone pole. It also has 5 pups, the biggest at 7 feet now. Unfortunately no signs of fruiting. I'm inexperienced in the way of bananas so I don't know what to expect. I planted a goldfinger this April and it appears to like our full sun MUCH less than the Blue Javas. It was growing but there was a lot if leaf burn. I finally put a shade over the GF.

aroideana

• Tropical north Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:09:42 PM »
Really worth the effort to grow Java Blue , BUT make sure to de-sucker and shift every few yeas as it is very prone to the rootborer . You will have to prop up . Very distinctive colour of the fruit make it easy to id

Greg A

• View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
This is a Blue Java (I'm pretty sure) clump in Glendora, L.A. County. It's on the north side of the house, has produced a rack every year, and is about 15 feet tall.

gregalder.com/yardposts/

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 01:18:45 AM »
I planted 2 "Blue Javas" last year. One in morning shade in March and one in full sun at the end of April. The one up against a west wall only grew to 4 feet. Not sure if it was because of the lack of sun, soil, roots tampered with by gophers or what. The one I planted in April unbelievably grew from 18 inches to 12 feet in 4 months. I cut it back down to 6 feet and covered it for the winter. It's back up to 12-13 feet with a trunk the size of a telephone pole. It also has 5 pups, the biggest at 7 feet now. Unfortunately no signs of fruiting. I'm inexperienced in the way of bananas so I don't know what to expect. I planted a goldfinger this April and it appears to like our full sun MUCH less than the Blue Javas. It was growing but there was a lot if leaf burn. I finally put a shade over the GF.

Hope it's not too late for this answer. The reason why your banana had no signs of fruiting is because you cut it down for the winter. A banana will never produce fruit if cut back because that way you also cut out the flower which is inside the stem. So the only way to get fruit is to not cut it back and just let it be, provided that your winters are mild enough to only burn the leaves and not the stem too. Only then will you have any chance of fruiting it.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 01:48:32 AM »
Planted 4 Nam Wah and 2 Blue Java at the same time same size March 2016.  The Nam Wahs are much more vigorous than the Blue Java for me.  They've really won me over.  Each Nam Wah is already fruiting size or close to it with 5-8 pups each (some of which I separated).  The Blue Javas are half the height and a third the diameter with three pups each.  Reading online, it looks like most people with both plants ended up preferring the taste of Nam Wah.

I see the exact opposite of this here. Nam wah is a nice banana, but the blue java consistently out produces it. Requires propping though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk