Author Topic: Performance of TX Cold Hardy Avocados in Central FL? - Lila Brazos Belle Pancho  (Read 2259 times)

GangstaRIB

• Clermont, FL | Central Florida Ridges and Uplands USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Many google searches continue to point me here to this forum to older threads. I see a few members have planted these varieties a few years ago and I'm thinking at this point many of these trees have produced fruit by now. I am leaning towards a Lila (Opal?) due to reports that they are 10-15ft tall and seem like they can be managed at a reasonable height. Do most of these varieties have a dwarfing tendency? I worry that the so called TX varieties won't do well here because we have drastically different summers (very humid) and this seems to also be the time these tend to fruit.

I see Carlos (http://www.myavocadotrees.com) hasn't had much luck with these in South Florida, but north and inland we do get a bit more of a break in the summer time at night from the humidity. I did see he appeared to have a bit of luck with the Joey... very small fruit, however it did not appear to be damaged in any way. The biggest complaint I see from these mexican cold hardy varieties is small fruit. If I can find a tree that I can keep at a reasonable height that survives our once every so often cold blasts here I would be happy. Obviously the taste is a big factor as well.

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
I also see a Joey which is a B type and I wonder if it is a dwarf. I see Carlos's review which is negative due to size but I don't see any reviews on taste. I know beggers can't be choosers I would be ok with a smaller fruit so long as it tastes good.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Look up "Day" Avocado. Medium cold tolerance probably much like the citrus that is or was commercially grown in Clermont.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Pretty sure I’ve trialed all those Texas avocados in Palm Beach county and they’ve been a total disaster. Probably won’t perform any better in central Florida.

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
Pretty sure I’ve trialed all those Texas avocados in Palm Beach county and they’ve been a total disaster. Probably won’t perform any better in central Florida.

Mixed reports that the Mexicola (not grande) is semi-dwarf or not quite as vigorous anyway. The grande I believe is a vigorous tree and I suspect crossed with a Guatemala variety to get the extra fruit size. I suspect these 3 have best 'tested' at temps around 15 degrees which not to say the Mexicola hasn't either. Looks like that one is good to low 20s I read a report that it will die back at low 20s and trunk dies at ~17-18 degrees. I believe the record low here is 18 degs which was during the 'freeze of the century' I mean if a once every 100 yr event kills the tree it is what it is but I would like something that could stay alive after low 20s for the once every 5 yr freeze we get and something that can brush off mid to upper 20s and still flower the next year. Mexicola looks to be a bit more 'mainstream' anyone can chime in on this one?

I see you are in USDA zone 10b so you have more options.. I wonder how some of the hawaiian varieties do in your area... We tend to get a good handful of frosts each year here so that limits my options. I haven't seen a frost in probably 3-4 years but that is extremely rare.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms

Mixed reports that the Mexicola (not grande) is semi-dwarf or not quite as vigorous anyway. The grande I believe is a vigorous tree and I suspect crossed with a Guatemala variety to get the extra fruit size. I suspect these 3 have best 'tested' at temps around 15 degrees which not to say the Mexicola hasn't either. Looks like that one is good to low 20s I read a report that it will die back at low 20s and trunk dies at ~17-18 degrees. I believe the record low here is 18 degs which was during the 'freeze of the century' I mean if a once every 100 yr event kills the tree it is what it is but I would like something that could stay alive after low 20s for the once every 5 yr freeze we get and something that can brush off mid to upper 20s and still flower the next year. Mexicola looks to be a bit more 'mainstream' anyone can chime in on this one?

I see you are in USDA zone 10b so you have more options.. I wonder how some of the hawaiian varieties do in your area... We tend to get a good handful of frosts each year here so that limits my options. I haven't seen a frost in probably 3-4 years but that is extremely rare.

My Mexicola is planted in a bad spot so it isn’t the best example, but everything I’ve seen with Mexicola leads me to believe it does well here. Probably could tolerate the worst cold you’d be likely to receive. There was one that used to fruit in Gainesville for many years.

Brogden is probably your best option though. These Texas ones in my experience haven’t fruited well, and the one that has (Joey) refuses to ripen properly.

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
Thanks for the feedback. The brogan keeps catching my eye as it was 'born in winter haven which is maybe 30 miles south of me or so. Pretty sure it's a Mexican hybrid  and WI. Lots of good feedback. It was also one of nature's accidents as I understand where it was a seed grown on it's own in the area and survived our weather here for decades.

My only issue is I hear it's quite a monster. I wonder if it gets tall over time and can be kept short or if it's vigorous.

jacquem

• central Florida
    • View Profile
I bought Brazos Bell from Lukas Nursery near Orlando (info available at hopkinstropicalfruitnursery.com) about 6 years ago. Planted in Titusville (inland).  The tree went from 3 foot to 8 feet and is very healthy. This last frost was the worst, but didn't cause much damage to the tree.  However, I get tons of fruit every year and still don't know what to do with all these small blackish purple avocados ......... they don't ripen. Even the squirrels don't eat them. I've tried different stages, but they are bitter and hard until they rot. The other green varieties have wonderful fruit. Have considered removing it, but it's so healthy I can't bring myself to do that without searching for an answer to the edibility problem.  Any ideas?

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I didn't go with any of the 'texas cados' I ended up going with the oro negro which I hope to be hardy enough for my area. I expect I will keep it covered at least for the first couple of years but I understand it can take upper 20s without any major issues.I figured I'd rather deal with a hard freeze knocking my cado back to the trunk than deal with crappy fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk