Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528748 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1450 on: December 31, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
Definitely keep us posted.  I just bought the tea bags, next is a whole lb of flowers from online.
I'd like to hear opinions on pure tea tree oil, diluted with dawn like neem.

I won't use anything hazardous, copper i drink water from, put in swimming pool, handle pipes & wires, pennies ect so i'm not worried of dying from copper.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 01, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »
tropical-farmer:  That may be mango-bacterial-black-spot, but it doesn't look typical.  Photo 3 seems to show a spray pattern, that resulted in damage.  Have you sprayed with an emulsion, or an oil or a soap? During hot weather?  Or in the middle of a sunny day?
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 01, 2020, 08:29:35 PM »
jtm13bw:  A shorter branch has Zinc deficiency.  The others probably have a severe case of Powdery Mildew, but I am not at all sure.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 01, 2020, 09:01:13 PM »
Mango Stein:  Your flower panicle has Powdery Mildew.  On some varieties, such as Nam Doc Mai, fruits hold on anyway, even on an infested pannicle.

Fruit set can be improved by sprays with Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, and Vitamin-C.
Har

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 01, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
Thank you Har. Yes i was also thinking it should be a deficiency because there is a pattern to it and the dots are scattered in between the veins but i dont know any deficiency would cause that. I haven’t sprayed them with anything. I will keep a close eye on plant with picture 1 with potential BBS.
Satya

j1mw3b

• Boynton Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: January 01, 2020, 11:11:42 PM »
Thanks Har.  One other expert also called powdery mildew; and my neighbor - ex nursery owner - thought maybe anthracnose.  I been putting different fungicides on it.  Pretty much now resigned to losing the tree.  No uninfected leaves left.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 02, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »
I'll post some pics of mine later.  I made chamomile haven't tried it yet.  1 tea bag 1 cup water, let it soak as i ate lunch yesterday.  It's strong.  Tried it in leaves i snapped off & see no change.
Careful weak copper & sulfur spray seems ok so far.  Tree's not growing shoots evenly so i'll have to use spray bottle not garden hose attachment when flowers open.
I lost all fruit last season.  Hurt.  That's why i'm giving it all i can this season.  Flowers last season were beautiful till powdery mildew & anthracnose killed them.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: January 02, 2020, 01:11:34 PM »
The word "anthracnose" comes from the Greek word for "black."  Anthracnose infections are, as far as I know, always black or greyish-black.  So I wouldn't look at your white-dead leaves and say that anthracnose got them.
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 02, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »
These are better then others i snapped off days ago.  I'm considering blasting tree with straight gardenhose water tomorrow morning (no flowers yet) to remove everything i applied the past couple weeks & start fresh, rinsing leaves, and go mild copper/neem/dawn mix.  I read sulfur alone without fungicide can increase anthracnose..true?
Ed

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 02, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »
Happy ones

Unhappy one

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 02, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »
This was Feb 2019.  Not 1 mango survived.  None!  Was devistated.  Lesson learned, sprayed copper too late, no fertilizer.  Letting you new mango lovers know to be on your toes, don't expect fruit set without some tlc.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 02, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
Or- blast off everything & soak entire tree with tea water?
I'm lucky to have 1 shot left.  Others in my area are blooming.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 03, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
EddiedF, that does look like Anthracnose on yesterday's picture of the "unhappy one."
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 03, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »
Guana, thank you.  I've yet to decide final move before flowers begin. Too hot to apply today.
I'm leaning towards blasting entire tree with garden hose to remove my treatments, and then use garden hose attachment which delivers up to 10 tablespoon/gallon (i dillute mix so 10 is really 1/4 that or whatever i decide) and soak tree with?  Chamomile won't be strong enough undilluted, leaning towards cocktail of copper, sulfur, foliar nutrients & dawn, all mixed weaker then label & soak entire tree.  Good?

Could it be i mix copper too weak?  I try not to have blue spotted leaves as i see in other posts.
Tree still stinks good? from previous sulfur & neem.  Worried neem might clog pores of leaves.  They shiny though, nice dark green almost too dark from copper and i see less damage spots.

Does sulfur help stop anthracnose?  I read it increases it without fungicide.
Thanks again.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 03, 2020, 05:59:51 PM »
I don't know what others think, but I understand you wait at least 2 weeks after a treatment to reapply and that you should alternate between fungicides (copper then sulfur, repeat).
I know you are all over this tree with serious TLC, but be careful not to hurt it with too much stuff.  They are a resilient bunch and there are other things that could cause a bloom to fail.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 03, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
Any new spray mix you come up with should be tested, before you spray whole trees.

Measure what would do just one quart of spray and use that on branches that you have marked.  Take notes, including time of day, temperature, wind, and other weather.  Look at sprayed and non-sprayed branches the next day, three-five days later, and 10 days later.  If you don't see damage on flowers on the second check, then you are probably good to go with spraying the whole tree.  It takes longer to have any chance of determining benefit, but first you want to be sure that you are not causing harm. 

I have killed flowers, with several mixes that I tried.  I was glad that it was just a few panicles.
Har

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 04, 2020, 01:44:42 AM »
Mango Stein:  Your flower panicle has Powdery Mildew.  On some varieties, such as Nam Doc Mai, fruits hold on anyway, even on an infested pannicle.

Fruit set can be improved by sprays with Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, and Vitamin-C.

Ah ok. I could have never thought powdery mildew, since leaves are totally immune. Also there is no problem with large fruit set, just later splitting when golf-ball sized.

According to an Indian professor, the remedy is to spray with wettable sulfur, then 15 days later spray with Dinocap, then 20 days later spray with Tridemorph. Seems rather laborious.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 04, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
Sulfur sprays prevent Powdery Mildew germination.  This is strictly PREVENTATIVE.

Preventative spraying goes against the grain of persons whose motto is "Don't fix what aint broke!".  They refuse to spray until they see a problem.
Then when they spray with Sulfur, "It doesn't work."  It does nothing against already visible infections.   [But it does protect nearby areas that are not already penetrated.]  These same persons tend to love insecticides, because when insects are seen, they can be zapped.  Most fungicides don't work that way.  Exceptions are described as "curative."

Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 04, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
Guana, reading writing as i wait for clouds & rain following as my next spray mix sits mixed.
I just read your great input about sulfur being a preventative, not a zap ya after the fact.
Mixed 2oz sulfur, 2 oz copper, 1/2oz plain Dawn & water to equal 12oz for hose sprayer set at 10tbl/gallon.
I like dilluting & using higher setting so it passes mix easier.
I know what i spray will get washed off somewhat later, but this morn i see more unhappy panicles.
Next week i have crew coming to remove 2 large pepper trees, mulch property line of my other lot, mulch center of lot some for citrus & yummy mangos.  Wonder if Anthracnose hangs out on the pep trees & wooded lot.  Lot's south of my mango tree, wind normally comes from east.  Today south west.

Btw i use hose sprayer cause i'm C7 paraplegic.  I get up close to tree with fan pattern & then back up & solid stream the rest.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
I haven't worked enough with a hose-end sprayer to figure out those rates.
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 04, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
i sprayed it approx 3pm, light raindrops fell as i was closing patio door.  hose attachment is Garbage because it leaks out vent and should be inline not in hands.  i need to build my own for inline hose.  Probably not impossible, at all.

i'm having some of lot next to me cleared next week.  Pepper trees, stumps getting ground, lowflow machine will mulch path and open area to plant where ever i choose hopefully.

Pepper tree berries good for anything?  I'll have a bunch to grab before chipper if so. 

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 16, 2020, 07:19:15 AM »
There are two mango trees along a route I take a walk on from time to time.
The other day, I noticed the one tree looked very stressed while the other did not.

Both trees are within 30 feet of each other and are not cared for.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 16, 2020, 12:22:11 PM »
I usually do a "shotgun-corrective-treatment" for such severe deficiencies.  In a couple of watering cans with some water, I add a powdered mix of micronutrients and Magnesium, plus additional amounts of the individual nutrients that are visibly deficient--- in this case, Manganese.  Then the liquid is spread under the canopy and several feet beyond.

At the same time, I spread the usual amount of granular fertilizer.  If the soil is sandy, I include Gypsum.
Har

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 23, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »
Lost 1/3 of a cocktail tree, don't have a clue why. Snapped clean off. Note a little brown in the heart of the branch. Am thinking the cause might be from a radical moisture change - going months with very little water and then a deep flooding of the bed. A week earlier I had sprayed it with a mix of Magnabon CS2005 and Pristine for anthracnose control.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 23, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Stumps me too.
Har