Author Topic: How long for a papaya to...  (Read 1314 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
How long for a papaya to...
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:28:15 AM »
I have no fewer than 4 papaya growing in my yard within a few feet (no doubt from fallen fruit) of two that I took down more than two years ago. What's up with that? I'm hesitant to let them get more than 1 or 2 batches of fruit because the "parents" were like sequoia trees. One was 15"+ (in diameter) at the base of the tree and over 20 feet high when I took it down.

I guess I'm perplexed on the seeds staying dormant for so long and suddenly coming alive and fruiting, has anyone else experienced such delayed germination from Paps?

PS. There are no papaya trees in my area, and if there were, I'd suspect their seeds would be located / dropped by animals in spots other than the near exact locations of my 2 long gone trees.

Regards,

Gary

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
Re: How long for a papaya to...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Quite common ...I've had then sprout a couple of years later ..I usually let my grow for two or three years .. then plant new trees so I have new trees coming all the time I never get let them get higher than I can reach her on a step ladder from seed to fruit in less than a year
Www.sailing-charters.org

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »
I planted seeds last year in some pots in my greenhouse and forgot about them.  Quit watering it, planted other stuff in the pots.  Then one day a ton of sprouts came up this year and I had no clue what they were.  Then I realized what they were when the leaves came in.

About 6 or 8 months later now, I moved some into the ground and they are 6ft tall and holding fruit. 

I asked about spacing here and someone told me they dont need much, but Im glad I gave them 8ft or so.  Any closer and they would be hitting each other already.  These things are impressive growers.
Brad Spaugh

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
I planted seeds last year in some pots in my greenhouse and forgot about them.  Quit watering it, planted other stuff in the pots.  Then one day a ton of sprouts came up this year and I had no clue what they were.  Then I realized what they were when the leaves came in.

About 6 or 8 months later now, I moved some into the ground and they are 6ft tall and holding fruit. 

I asked about spacing here and someone told me they dont need much, but Im glad I gave them 8ft or so.  Any closer and they would be hitting each other already.  These things are impressive growers.

Brad,

How did you select which of the seedlings to plant into the ground? AFAIK, only females or hermaphrodites give fruits, so male trees are thrown away. Just curious how you were able to tell them apart at seedling stage. I have one tree that's about 8' tall, no idea of the sex, crossing my fingers, Lol.

Trung

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »
I didnt know thats why I planted 3 trees.  In hopes of at least some comination of fruiting trees.  It looks like all 3 are self fruiting.  These were seeds from a store bought papaya labeled "hawaiian papaya".  Nice mild tasting papaya with no vomit taste.  I will take some photos of them later today.
Brad Spaugh