Author Topic: Replicating Avocados - ever tried this?  (Read 1989 times)

blackmountain

• SAN CARLOS
    • View Profile
Replicating Avocados - ever tried this?
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
Just curious if anyone has tried using one of those little clamp-on devices on their avocado tree to replicate it into a new one.
Evidently you strip some bark, fill it up, clamp it on, and wait months on end.
Any reason this would or wouldn't work with avocados?

Thanks!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Replicating Avocados - ever tried this?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
Havent tried but there's a reason no one air layers avocados.  It doesn't work.  You need to grow seeds then graft onto them.
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 02:06:34 AM »
Technically avocados can be airlayered. That's how they generate clonal rootstocks, but it is a long and laborious process. I've heard they take up to a year or more to form roots. I personally don't think it's worth it. It's really easier to germinate seeds and graft over the strongest seedlings.

I've actually used the plastic shells and the flat air propagators for air layering figs and can usually get roots to show in 6 weeks.

A few years ago, a member posted a video from south Asia or Southeast Asia of a large mango tree that was essentially air layered, but it looked like the climate was tropical and really conducive to such.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »
I've been air-layering mangoes for two seasons now. I just setup an air-layered avocado branch last week, I'll give it a look in a few months. It's hot and humid as hell here, everything is growing like mad. I expect to be successful.

I checked out those little devices initially, they do look to make air-layering easier, but they are very limited on space for the new roots and you have to be a little picky about what the width of the branch can be. I've been using clear plastic bags and water bottles instead, way more room for the roots to spread out and I can see the root development. If you use clear plastic containers, wrap them in aluminum foil to protect the new roots from sun damage and prevent algae growth. Just peel back the aluminum when your curiosity gets the better of you.

Also, use a little rooting hormone powder around the cut where you expect the roots to grow from, that'll aid/speed root formation.  Another tip, don't cut it free from the tree until you see the container full of roots. I cut my first layered-tree loose way too early and watched it die a slow death.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:03:55 AM »
Air layering avo seems easy to me. Just leave it for 6 months and it puts root. I didn't want to dig up a large tree that needed to be removed so air layer was a good option. Got 2 out of 3 to work. One was 6 ft tall (1" branch) Hawaiian seedling, other was 8 ft tall (2" branch) jan boyce with some fruits. Probably will take a few more 2" branches before cutting down the mult-grafted tree. Much faster than lychee air layer.

I used plastic soda container, here's some photos of my Jan Boyce (about 8ft air layer).

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:37:26 AM by sc4001992 »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
Air layering avo seems easy to me. Just leave it for 6 months and it puts root. I didn't want to dig up a large tree that needed to be removed so air layer was a good option. Got 2 out of 3 to work. One was 6 ft tall (1" branch) Hawaiian seedling, other was 8 ft tall (2" branch) jan boyce with 3 fruits. Probably will take a few more 2" branches before cutting down the mult-grafted tree. Much faster than lychee air layer.

Interesting! Now how about long term success with avocado air layering? I know quite a few varieties... (probably most?) are susceptible to root diseases and fungus. I could see how some rootstocks might survive well long term from airlayer, but I’d be sketched at best about rooting non-rootstock varieties (or less phyto- resistant varieties) and having them  survive well over several years on their own roots. Might be possible in some climates but not others..? Of all fruit trees, there’s definitely good justification in using rootstocks for avocados. Lol.

Myself, I have tried to root Lila, Lula, Joey, and seedling Hass from small cuttings in perlite.  A few times I actually got some scions to callous! However, for whatever reason, they refused to push roots from that point on, even with a light drench of rooting hormone, and died. Most cuttings just straight up die without even attempting to callous, though.

Honestly if you’re going to start air layering avocados, do so with rootstock varieties and/or some of the more pure Mexican types (apparently this race has better root fungus (and cold) resistance.
[although the West Indian race can take more dissolved salt concentrations and heat]

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:41:56 AM »
Well the rootstock for my air-layers (multi-grafted tree) was from my Hawaiian seedling tree that has been in-ground for about 10yrs so I don't think there will be any problem with root disease or fungus. My tree is over 15ft and I cut it back every year since it grows so well. Only reason I needed to dig it up/remove it was because I planted it to close to a block wall.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »
I know a guy that air layers avocados in Florida and it doesn't take
6 months to root. He also air layers allot of citrus.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
I take it back, it does work  :-X

Nice air layers Kaz. 
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
Nice little report on air-layer your avocado, I've got a duke-7 avo I'm trying to air layer right now has been about 3 months still waiting for roots to appear ::) 8)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »
Blackmountain, where did you buy those airlayering enclosures?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
Thanks Brad.
Mike, yes I'm sure I could have removed the air layer sooner (4months) but since it was my first avo air layer, I just let it go longer to make sure it had plenty of roots. The trees (2) are doing good now after a month in pot, still have one fruit left that is growing. I also did lychee air layers (14) and if you let it go to 6 months it will have more roots which makes it better when you pot it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:15:15 AM by sc4001992 »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
Nice little report on air-layer your avocado, I've got a duke-7 avo I'm trying to air layer right now has been about 3 months still waiting for roots to appear ::) 8)
Scott let me know how that goes. I have tried a few times 3-4  without success. Now I have a few clonal Duke 7 that are growing surprisingly well in south Florida so I would like to clone to use as root stock for the tropical varieties we grow. 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
So Kaz, do you want to share with the class your secrets?  Remove a ring of bark and apply root hormone, cover with coco? 

Is there advantage to air layer vs seed+graft.  Obviously if you have a Duke or other rootstock, it makes sense.  Maybe just starting size?  Seedlings grow so fast, it does t seem worth bothering with. But my mind can be changed...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:33:10 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 06:49:12 PM »
My problem is that I got Duke-7 scion wood at Orange County CRFG scion exchange many year's ago and grafted it onto mex. rootstock which i buried the graft in the pot after nicking the scion hoping for roots to develop but it was a no go. So, I planted out the tree and grafted one branch to Koala which is growing nicely and have tried cuttings of the Duke-7 many times with no luck. So, this year i decided to air-layer a few branches well we have strong winds on the central coast of California and one branch that was horizontal with air-layer broke off! now that leaves me with one which is kinda vertical and so far still alive checked for roots about 2-weeks ago and nothing yet! Air-layer was done 4/20/20 time will tell but even if it fails will try again for sure only have branches to lose :P

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »
Brad, you got it, no secret. Make sure to cover it with foil so no heat/sun gets to the roots.