Author Topic: vanilla persimmon  (Read 18960 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
vanilla persimmon
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »
Has anybody tried to grow this variety of persimmon ?. It's called persimmon vaniglia in Italy or vanilla persimmon in English. I believe it's also widely grown in Spain

http://youtu.be/BOAEK2deB7Q
Moh'd

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: vanilla persimmon
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
I have one but very recent... fruits just on the next season.  ;)

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
I grow it many years, the tree is autofertil , they don t have seeds ,if  you have near by other persimmons that  have male flowers then the fruits can have a small amount of seeds. The colour of ripe fruit is orange-brown and have a very good flavour. The fruits are medium-sized. My tree give me this season about 60-70kg of fruits.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »
I grow it many years, the tree is autofertil , they don t have seeds ,if  you have near by other persimmons that  have male flowers then the fruits can have a small amount of seeds. The colour of ripe fruit is orange-brown and have a very good flavour. The fruits are medium-sized. My tree give me this season about 60-70kg of fruits.
Hi! And the vanilla flavour is true? Thank's!  ;)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »
I have one but very recent... fruits just on the next season.  ;)

Just recently, I got vanilla persimmon tree from the local nursery. I bought it for $40, wasn't cheap but the tree came from Italy. I guess it was a good deal.

Thanks Luis and good luck with your tree.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »

Good to hear that this variety is self-fertile. Thank you very much

BTW, my tree is still dormant. I scratched the bark of the persimmon tree to see if the tree is alive and I found it is still green from inside, so my question is how long does it take to break dormancy ?.

Thanks Fabio
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »

BTW, my tree is still dormant. I scratched the bark of the persimmon tree to see if the tree is alive and I found it is still green from inside, so my question is how long does it take to break dormancy ?.

Thanks Fabio
Hi! On spring like any persimmon tree. By the way i have one chiocolatino persimmon too that i buy at same time. Can i plant them side by side? Can you tell me if the Hatchiya it's sufficiently good to grow. Thank's!  ;D

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »

Thanks Fabio
Hi! On spring like any persimmon tree. By the way i have one chiocolatino persimmon too that i buy at same time. Can i plant them side by side? Can you tell me if the Hatchiya it's sufficiently good to grow. Thank's!  ;D

I have zero experience with Persimmon, but it might work if you give them enough room and sunlight to grow. I also found cioccolatino, fuyu persimmon and red fleshed apple at local nursery but I didn't buy them.

Luis, did you ask the seller about which one is better, cioccolatino or vaniglia ?.

Thank you
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
Ok, no problem. No i didn't hask i think both are very good.  ;D

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
Evil, if you have room to grow another persimmon tree Try Roya Brillianti from Spain. It is a large red fruit, beautiful and Delicious. I grow several tree's here in the U.S.A.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
Evil, if you have room to grow another persimmon tree Try Roya Brillianti from Spain. It is a large red fruit, beautiful and Delicious. I grow several tree's here in the U.S.A.

Hi Luak

I only found three trees at local Nursery and they were Fuyu, cioccolatino and vaniglia. Getting rojo brillante is nearly impossible but who knows I might find it one day at local nursery.  :'(
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »

Hi Luak

I only found three trees at local Nursery and they were Fuyu, cioccolatino and vaniglia. Getting rojo brillante is nearly impossible but who knows I might find it one day at local nursery.  :'(
Hi! You can try to buy it on Italian nurseries...

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »

Hi Luak

Getting a whole tree will be hard and not a good idea because the tree must be inspected first and might get destroyed. Getting Scions will be much easier.

I Believe I need to wait for my persimmon tree to fruit first. I really got no idea how vanilla persimmon or any type of persimmon will do in my climate.

Our winter is really mild, usually the temperature are between 24c to 10c and can get to 6c but it rarely happens. i got rambutan and cempedak seedlings that are currently grown in pots with no damage from winter.

Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

Hi Luak

Getting a whole tree will be hard and not a good idea because the tree must be inspected first and might get destroyed. Getting Scions will be much easier.

I Believe I need to wait for my persimmon tree to fruit first. I really got no idea how vanilla persimmon or any type of persimmon will do in my climate.

Our winter is really mild, usually the temperature are between 24c to 10c and can get to 6c but it rarely happens. i got rambutan and cempedak seedlings that are currently grown in pots with no damage from winter.
I think persimmon nead more cold...   :)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »

Hi Luak

I think persimmon nead more cold...   :)

I know.  :'(

However, I have seen a persimmon tree at the local nursery that had a young green fruit, so hopefully my tree will do the same and flower.  :'(
Moh'd

Fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
The variety Vaniglia have a strong aromatic flavour and in my opinion is better then fuyu, and  other commercial varieties. The variety cioccolatino set a good amount of fruits but small sized with seeds and  it is not self fertile.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 05:19:27 AM »
The variety Vaniglia have a strong aromatic flavour and in my opinion is better then fuyu, and  other commercial varieties. The variety cioccolatino set a good amount of fruits but small sized with seeds and  it is not self fertile.
I'm thinking to grow both vanilla and cioccolatino very near... Do you think it's a good idea? Thank's!

Fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 07:20:12 AM »
Yes , I think it is a great idea, if you have maybe  space I would plant another variety maybe Rojo Brillante

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
Yes , I think it is a great idea, if you have maybe  space I would plant another variety maybe Rojo Brillante
I already have Rojo Brillante. I will buy Hana Fuyu and Saijo soon... I loce to get cofee cake variety too but i can't find it in Europe.  :)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
I already have Rojo Brillante. I will buy Hana Fuyu and Saijo soon... I loce to get cofee cake variety too but i can't find it in Europe.  :)

Why not go with black sapote instead ?.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »

Thanks again Fabio

One more question, do you have any idea about the chill requirement of Vaniglia persimmon ?
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »

Hi! I already have one black sapote...  ;)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »

Wonderful
Did you grow it from seed or bought it from a nursery ?.
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

Wonderful
Did you grow it from seed or bought it from a nursery ?.
Hello again! This one i bought from online nursery the var. bernicker, but i can bought grafted trees from unknown variety on my local market. I bought the rojo brillante persimmon tree on my local market too.  ;D