Author Topic: Pruning/bud pinching for young avocado grafts?  (Read 514 times)

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Pruning/bud pinching for young avocado grafts?
« on: November 24, 2020, 02:36:45 AM »
I have a couple small grafted avocado trees (Winter Mexican and Choquette) indoors under lights this winter, after they spent a month on my patio at the end of summer and then a month in sunny windows in early fall. I've been trying to read up on the growth cycle of avocados because I've never grown them before (though growing up in Miami I might have raided some of your yards to steal your fruit -- sorry!). It looks like generally the trees go through (sometimes overlapping) periods of dormancy, vegetative flush, and flowering. One thing that I can't find a clear answer on is whether/how much to prune them, and what parts of their growth cycles are the best for pruning, especially when they are small like this. 

The Choquette appears to have been in the middle of a vegetative flush when it spent a week in a cardboard box crossing the country back in August. While it lost a few of the most tender leaves shortly after it arrived, it has since exploded with what I would call an excessive number of new leaf shoots:

This has led me to wonder: should I be pinching off some of these shoots? It just seems so excessive that I wonder if I should be directing the tree to focus on fewer tips, or whether I should just let it grow for a bit before I give it a snip snip.

The Winter Mexican seems to be on the opposite end of its growth cycle, where it has been dormant since it arrived. Oddly, in the last week or two it has started to form what appear to be flower buds rather than vegetative ones:

If these are in fact flowers (and they seem to be?), I'm tempted to let it flower, but I know I should probably remove flower buds on such a small tree, so that it will focus on growing a bit instead.

I have overly ambitious plans to fill my house with avocado trees and eventually build them a greenhouse (or get some varieties that are cold hardy enough to actually survive zone 8b winters!). However, I hope that they will make it at least a few years as winter houseplants and summer patio/porch plants before I have to find them a winter home outside my house.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Pruning/bud pinching for young avocado grafts?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
After 20-30 days of low temperature and them brought inside to warm they will flower. Best would be to keep them cool all winter untill January then let them flower in February /March this why you get the whole season.
To flower again they will need a cool period again.
To have a vigourous lateral growth you should pinch them when they are in cold, not after you bring them inside.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk