Author Topic: What kind of banana tree is this?  (Read 1022 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
What kind of banana tree is this?
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
Hello there folks, what type of banana or plantain is this?

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of banana tree is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Looks like Orinoco to me.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:58 PM »
Hello there folks, what type of banana or plantain is this?

Are these two different plants?  How tall?  First time fruiting?
- Rob

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:33:21 AM »
My favorite, Orinoco is neither plantain nor banana it is a "Bluggoe", but is useful eithr way. Very disease resistant, tolerant of abuse and makes lots of pups. I sell a lot frozen to smoothie makers it has a lower flavor profile that doesn't overpower other fruits but adds good creaminess.

https://www.promusa.org/Bluggoe+subgroup

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Are Orinoco and Burro the same banana with different names?  I have tasted about half a dozen that looked identical but some were better than others.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
My favorite, Orinoco is neither plantain nor banana it is a "Bluggoe", but is useful eithr way. Very disease resistant, tolerant of abuse and makes lots of pups. I sell a lot frozen to smoothie makers it has a lower flavor profile that doesn't overpower other fruits but adds good creaminess.

I second your sentiments. It is a workhorse banana that often gets overlooked in favor of other more glamorous varieties. However, it makes amazing "banana fries" when green and is great in smoothies when ripe. If you put 2 Cavendish bananas in a smoothie, that will be all you taste. If you put 2 Orinoco bananas in the smoothie, you will hardly be able to taste that they are there.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 11:06:23 PM »

If you put 2 Orinoco bananas in the smoothie, you will hardly be able to taste that they are there.

That may not be a good thing...
- Rob

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Lol! You are right! What I was trying to say was that the flavors blend well instead of overpowering you with only banana taste. If that is what I want, I'll just eat a banana. There is no point in making a mango, orange, and banana smoothie if the only flavor that come through is banana.   >:(

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
Are Orinoco and Burro the same banana with different names?  I have tasted about half a dozen that looked identical but some were better than others.

According to the Going Bananas website Burro, Horse Banana, and Orinoco all refer to the same variety. I have always found their information to be reliable in the sea of banana confusion. It comes in two height variations (standard and dwarf). I have only ever heard people refer to the dwarf from as "Dwarf Orinoco," though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk