Author Topic: Measuring distance between trees/plants  (Read 868 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Measuring distance between trees/plants
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »
Hi everyone. Literally the dumbest question ever asked here. I want to know how much space I am dealing with between by current birds of paradise and bananas. Should I measure from the center of plant 1 to the center of plant 2? Yes... That's really my question. One so dumb that google refuses to provide the answer ;)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Measuring distance between trees/plants
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
I think you are overthinking it...How precise are you trying to be? Just measure from the base of each trunk.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
Generally for me its not just root space that matters ,but also air space. As trees/plants grow they will start touching each other and ultimately shading one another .

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Generally for me its not just root space that matters ,but also air space. As trees/plants grow they will start touching each other and ultimately shading one another .

That's a good point. My intention is to manage sunlight and circulation over time. This is for the portion of my yard that is dedicated to a hedge and I'm packing it in a bit for more rapid privacy. So for root space, I guess it would be center to center, and for air space, I would factor in other considerations?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
I think you are overthinking it...How precise are you trying to be? Just measure from the base of each trunk.
Yeah, trunk (or center) to trunk.  When you're planting for a hedge, you can usually go a little farther apart than a nursery might recommend if you're taking really good care of your plants and they will grow robustly.
John

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
Yeah, trunk (or center) to trunk.  When you're planting for a hedge, you can usually go a little farther apart than a nursery might recommend if you're taking really good care of your plants and they will grow robustly.

Great - thank you so much!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:28:43 AM »

That's a good point. My intention is to manage sunlight and circulation over time. This is for the portion of my yard that is dedicated to a hedge and I'm packing it in a bit for more rapid privacy. So for root space, I guess it would be center to center, and for air space, I would factor in other considerations?
I suppose if leave more space for the canopy ,u ultimately have more space for the roots between each tree. Another consideration that can be taken into acount is the spread of the root perimeter. I  know from personal experience that the roots ot trees spread in a much wider diameter than the canopy.

Pc: now I saw your question is for a hedje ,in which I would assume u can pack the plants for a faster result ,but can also spread the apart more ,in which case they will also close to each other but will take more time. What plants are we talking about, fruiting or decorative ? If they are fruiting and your goal is also the fruit I would plant them with more distance, if they are ornamentals ,plant them as close as u want .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:38:45 AM by Plantinyum »

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 07:41:40 AM »

I suppose if leave more space for the canopy ,u ultimately have more space for the roots between each tree. Another consideration that can be taken into acount is the spread of the root perimeter. I  know from personal experience that the roots ot trees spread in a much wider diameter than the canopy.

Pc: now I saw your question is for a hedje ,in which I would assume u can pack the plants for a faster result ,but can also spread the apart more ,in which case they will also close to each other but will take more time. What plants are we talking about, fruiting or decorative ? If they are fruiting and your goal is also the fruit I would plant them with more distance, if they are ornamentals ,plant them as close as u want .

Thanks so much. I'll be planting 2 bananas; other than that, plants that don't fruit, but serve other functions (pollinators, mulch).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk