Author Topic: Handy pole pruner  (Read 907 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Handy pole pruner
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
I picked up a pole pruner from Amazon.  I have been using this for a few days and I am pretty happy with it.  According to the package, it is rated for up to 1 1/4" branches.  I was able to exceed this on some things (like breadfruit, which have a pretty soft new growth -- probably cut 1 1/2" branches on that).  On hard branches, you might want to limit it to somewhat less.  I has a swivel ball joint that allows you to set even compound angles to better access the branch but the nut doesn't lock it in tight enough if you are trying to pull the branch towards you to make the cut.  There are no significant instructions.  At first, it was seeming just a tad too short to reach some branches but then I noticed that the d-ring on the bottom was connected to the rope so you could really extend it out with one hand and pull the d-ring to make the cut.  (It is light enough to be comfortable to do that.)  Much better!  I've used it to prune my mangoes (& sp. mangoes), various artocarpus, various pouteria, etc. and it worked great.  It was also really slick for controlling my Brazilian red cloak.  This is on a steep bank is always a pain to prune back.  With this, you can just reach into the plant and cut the bases or reach far in and trim branches.

The pruner is a Corona SwivelCut TP3206.  Here is the Amazon link for it:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q16D2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=at 1

So far, I am pretty pleased with it.

John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Handy pole pruner
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »
Nice pole pruner.  The number one improvement is the internal steel wire to pull for cutting action.  I have two of the old style types with the rope outside. The external rope is always causing problems and wasting time. On one of them this rope is a old clothesline.

The swivel action would not be that important to me.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the rope is contained inside the pole so it is not getting in the way like on the old style pruners.  However, it is still a rope, not cable on this model.  (I am not sure if cable would be flexible enough to be able to follow the relatively sharp bends.)  It is a handy size if you are trying to train trees to stay relatively compact.

I didn't think the swivel action would be of any benefit, only a liability for something else to fail.  It did seem to come in handy when I was trying to trim some branches at odd angles, though.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:15:38 AM »
John, looks like a pretty cool pruner I really like the internal link that operate's the head no external rope tangling ! 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk