Author Topic: VIDEO: Sweettart Mango Fruiting Year 2  (Read 1032 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
VIDEO: Sweettart Mango Fruiting Year 2
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
Now I know Sweettart is supposed to be a fairly heavy bearer, but just to give people hope for trees they have that may have fruited poorly this year or last at a decent size. This particular tree in the below video had only one mango on it last year at about 7ft tall. This year at between 8 and 9ft, it’s holding somewhere between 60-70 mangos. They are pretty well distributed, except for one branch which I had to support.  Anyway, enjoy the video...I didn’t narrate however

https://youtu.be/sgJCCYxoTz0

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: VIDEO: Sweettart Mango Fruiting Year 2
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »
Now I know Sweettart is supposed to be a fairly heavy bearer, but just to give people hope for trees they have that may have fruited poorly this year or last at a decent size. This particular tree in the below video had only one mango on it last year at about 7ft tall. This year at between 8 and 9ft, it’s holding somewhere between 60-70 mangos. They are pretty well distributed, except for one branch which I had to support.  Anyway, enjoy the video...I didn’t narrate however

https://youtu.be/sgJCCYxoTz0

They appears to be biennial bearers here in Southern California. Last year it held 20 or so fruits the year before over 150. Here are some pix. Btw,they preform well on turpentine here for Socal folks.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: VIDEO: Sweettart Mango Fruiting Year 2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »
Wouldn't say they are shy bearers. Some years, mine will break branches with fruit load. Other years, I get medium sized crops. Mine never seems to produce a full bloom, but the tree makes up for it by setting prodigious quantities of fruit and dropping very little. Might need to thin fruit to prevent branch breakage and fatten fruit up. Seems like it does want some chill hours to flower well.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk