Author Topic: Palm Springs Wind from Hell  (Read 4829 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Palm Springs Wind from Hell
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
Did anyone else in SoCal get that freight train of a wind yesterday, Saturday the 21st?  We hit gusts near 70
and trees and branches are down everywhere.  I got lucky. All my trees, including mango and papaya fared
well.  Stripped leaves and some bent stems on the younger trees, but really nothing.  Makes me wonder
for when they get bigger, just how big I want them to get!  I mean it's frightening to hear it rumbling by....

Anybody in L.A. or near there get anything like that?

MFang

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Palm Springs Wind from Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »
Ouch!  We had some strong winds in the afternoon  but nothing like that. The tender  new growth that all my lychees put out is probably wasted but everything else looks ok.

Richard

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »
not in the oc  ;)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »
It was windy, but nothing extreme like the last wind storm. Mangofang, you plan to pug most of your mangoes and keep them short? Perhaps it will help with evaporation as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
is mangodios taken? ::)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
It was indeed windy in Corona hills area, I was worried about my Cherimoya fruits but all hung in there.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »
No Phuc - Nether Mango dios nor Mangoperro are taken.   8)

Null - yeah, this wind really has me thinking of the mango bush idea. Short, stocky, chunky - keeping them all
at 8 feet or less.  I mean if I had had anything 6 feet or higher in a typical mango shape, I'm just afraid they would have
bent or fallen over.  I think I need to put like 8 foot stakes - maybe 2 per tree - into the ground on each side of the trees to prevent this kind of scenario. Again, this  is a once in 10 year wind (or so) but the fact it happened and probably will happen again, why would I wantto stress out thinking about it?

I don't know how the Floridians view the next hurricane lurking around the corner, but it seems quite nerve-racking to me
to just know that all that beautiful growth and fruit production - GONE in a puff of tropical jet air.  I mean 70 mph is NOTHING compared to winds topping 100.....

I guess one can either control the height or let nature take it's course and sing Que Sera, sera.....I mean, how could Harry
possibly trim 300+ trees into manageable bushes....imposible!!!!!

Fang

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
You ain't just whistling Dixie, Gary.....another hurricane here like Wilma and I could be out of the tropical fruit tree growing hobby.  I should fish out some pictues and video of my yard after the storm.  About 80% of the trees were uprooted and toppled over.  Very sad memory. 

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »
Yeah Harry, could you please post some pictures of that tragedy? I wish it does not happen again...

Mangoperro, my strategy is pruning my trees to induce branching and horizontal growth (big bush idea). Fortunately we don't have hurricanes over here, but occasionally strong wind. Bush-sized trees are less vulnerable to wind but also (very important in my case!) to the dry heat in summer.

BTW, Keitt is THE mango in my collection that suffers from limb-break the most...

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:07:55 AM »
I visited a small mango grove in Bokeelia last year that was right in the path of hurricane Charley in 2004 (category 4). The owners grow Kent and Keitt and did not lose any trees but now keep them hand trimmed to 10-12 feet tall x 8 feet wide and have lots of fruit.
Richard