Author Topic: OK to split/up-pot jaboticaba while in flush?  (Read 828 times)

wainivanua

• View Profile
OK to split/up-pot jaboticaba while in flush?
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:38:21 AM »
Hi all,

I just received a potted jaboticaba, and as luck would have it, there are two plants in the pot.

I'd like to split them, but it turns out that they're just putting out a flush of new leaves and I wonder if this is a good time to repot them, or if stressing them at this time would impede the current flush and set the plants back significantly.

I have no prior experience with jaboticaba, so any advice at all would be highly appreciated.

Pics of top and side view attached.

TIA.

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: OK to split/up-pot jaboticaba while in flush?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »
I have never seen it drastically affect the plant. For me it usually flushes much more significantly after a repot. You can always wait till this flush hardens off, but it may just continue to flush. All my plants seem to always be flushing, but this hasn't hurt them while up potting or re-potting.

So, you can wait or do it now. It shouldn't affect the plants much at all.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
If I decided to split that into 2 seperate trees I would do it sooner then later.
Maybe keep it in the shade afterwards for a couple weeks and water heavy.
I personally would consider letting it grow as is. I have seen pictures of very old
jaboticabas with multiple trunks and it seems like there is plenty of production
on all available areas. I'm not sure if you plan is to plant in the ground one day
or if the space is limited but I can vision both trees at ten feet loaded with fruit.
I purposely picked a sabara becasue of the unusual way the trunk
spreads out into several trunks?

wainivanua

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:45:39 PM »
I have never seen it drastically affect the plant. For me it usually flushes much more significantly after a repot. You can always wait till this flush hardens off, but it may just continue to flush. All my plants seem to always be flushing, but this hasn't hurt them while up potting or re-potting.

So, you can wait or do it now. It shouldn't affect the plants much at all.
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear they're relatively hardy and shouldn't be drastically affected by a repot.

I personally would consider letting it grow as is. I have seen pictures of very old
jaboticabas with multiple trunks and it seems like there is plenty of production
on all available areas. I'm not sure if you plan is to plant in the ground one day
or if the space is limited but I can vision both trees at ten feet loaded with fruit.
I purposely picked a sabara becasue of the unusual way the trunk
spreads out into several trunks?
You make a good argument, and I'd probably make the same decision if I were in your position. However, this is the only one I have, and I don't think I'll be able to get another for a very long time. There are only a few in my country, and none available commercially, so getting two out of this would be ideal for me.
They will remain in (larger) pots for a year or two, as I'd like to keep it close by until I can move onto the property where it will be permanently homed.

If I decided to split that into 2 seperate trees I would do it sooner then later.
Maybe keep it in the shade afterwards for a couple weeks and water heavy.
Thanks! I think I'll do that today.

wainivanua

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 11:51:28 PM »
So, it turns out there were three in the pot. I thought the smaller one just had two stems, but were actually twins from the polyembryonic seed. Yay!

Thanks for the help.