Author Topic: Did anyone's platonia insignis seeds sprout?  (Read 6296 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Did anyone's platonia insignis seeds sprout?
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
Hi, got some very fresh nice looking platonia insignis seeds from rictobar a bit back and planted them. I peeked at them and they do not look so good. 
Anyone have any luck sprouting this rarity? I haven't given up yet.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone's platonia insignis seeds sprout?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Maybe they need to be off the tree fresh, you should order some from Oscar next time he has them.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:35:51 PM »
Ricardos seeds are fine.This is a difficult species.I received platonias from 5 sources in the last year and only had one germinate.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »
Mike: please don't mistake my comments for criticism of Ricardo. I believe his seeds are good too, but I meant that some seeds must be immediately fresh for the best chances. I'd ordered seeds of Pulasan from Malaysia once, the seller was nice, the seeds weren't rotten but they did not produce. I got seeds from Hawaii, and the seeds are nice seedlings. If the seeds were overnighted, then it would not be a case of freshness.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:25:17 AM »
I'm also still waiting on my platonia from ricardo.
One definitely rotted the others seem firm but no noticing swelling or anything indicating they are germinating or starting to:(
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Sorry for bringing up this old topic.

I bought 5 seeds and managed to germinate all of them. They started to grow a long taproot but, still no sign of life above the soil.

My question is , how long it will take for platonia insignis seedling to emerge from the soil ?.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:19:01 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:05:18 PM »
Ricardos seeds are fine.This is a difficult species.I received platonias from 5 sources in the last year and only had one germinate.

Dear Mike , for your information , P. insignis needs cross pollination in order to fruit .....so 1 tree won't do .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Hi evilfruit
Congratulations! Any secret to your success?
Where did you get your seed from?
Please update on growth

I bought 5 seeds and managed to germinate all of them. They started to grow a long taproot but, still no sign of life above the soil.

My question is , how long it will take for platonia insignis seedling to emerge from the soil ?.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »
This seed takes up to 18 months to germinate, do not lose hope!

I have trees with 9 years and no fruiting yet!

Hi evilfruit
Please update on growth

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »

Dear Mike , for your information , P. insignis needs cross pollination in order to fruit .....so 1 tree won't do .

Luc and Alexandre Neles: Thanks for ruining my day  :-\ Seriously, thanks for the info on PInsignis...I have two 3-year old PInsignis at about 3 ft height and I was so excited they were doing well outdoors in Miami, only to learn that they need crosspollination and take over 9 years to fruit...

ANeles: I've heard they are usually grafted in BR; is this correct/easy? Maybe this is an option for me if I can get some scions. How tall are your 9-year old trees? I saw a video a while back and I think they had some 9ft tall trees fruiting, but I don't know their age.

Luc: I imagine the more trees you have the better for cross-pollination, but do you think a couple of trees may suffice, I don't know how crosspollination/flowering works in this species. Also, maybe grafting scions of different trees on one seedling could work like crosspollination (?)..   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:33:02 AM by fsanchez2002 »
Federico
Homestead, FL

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »
Luc and Alexandre Neles: Thanks for ruining my day  :-\ Seriously, thanks for the info on PInsignis...I have two 3-year old PInsignis at about 3 ft height and I was so excited they were doing well outdoors in Miami, only to learn that they need crosspollination and take over 9 years to fruit...

ANeles: I've heard they are usually grafted in BR; is this correct/easy? Maybe this is an option for me if I can get some scions. How tall are your 9-year old trees? I saw a video a while back and I think they had some 9ft tall trees fruiting, but I don't know their age.

Luc: I imagine the more trees you have the better for cross-pollination, but do you think a couple of trees may suffice, I don't know how crosspollination/flowering works in this species. Also, maybe grafting scions of different trees on one seedling could work like crosspollination (?)..   
Federico
Homestead, FL

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »
Hi evilfruit
Please update on growth

Thank you Micah. And Aloha to you my friend

Nothing special. I put them inside a ziplock bag with peat moss only. Sprayed a little fungicide (ridomil gold) inside the ziplock (just a mist) and kept them in a moderate temperature from 25c to 30c inside a foam box. Took about 2-5 months to germinate all of them.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »

Congratulation.

I know it has been three years since you started growing platonia insignis but , do you remember how long they took to emerge from the soil ?.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 02:10:49 PM »

Micah, I got the seeds from Richard aka Colombo973. Highly recommended seller and a wonderful guy.
Moh'd

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »

Congratulation.

I know it has been three years since you started growing platonia insignis but , do you remember how long they took to emerge from the soil ?.

I got the plant as 1 year-old plants. I kept them in a pot for about a year and they didn't grow at all and looked really bad. They only started growing when they were in the ground. I believe this is because they have a long taproot and it stunts their growth if the root can't grow. Full sun, plenty of water, good soil, similar to garcinias. 
Federico
Homestead, FL

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »

Congratulation.

I got the plant as 1 year-old plants. I kept them in a pot for about a year and they didn't grow at all and looked really bad. They only started growing when they were in the ground. I believe this is because they have a long taproot and it stunts their growth if the root can't grow. Full sun, plenty of water, good soil, similar to garcinias.

Thanks... they certainly have a long taproot like mamey apple which is also related to Garcinia.

The seed remind me of Luc's Garacinia/Lucasteen except it is larger.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:36:56 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
Hi,

Yes, they can germinate faster, I just said it can take 18 months but this varies, the average time I had to germinate was 4 to 8 months.

Federico, 9 years and 6 m tall, there is this grafted tree, but this far away from my region, I live near Belo Horizonte and these trees are common in Belém, in Macapá, which are north of Brazil, the Amazon, I I'm going to Amazonia next year, maybe I'll buy grafted trees.

Hi evilfruit
Please update on growth

Thank you Micah. And Aloha to you my friend

Nothing special. I put them inside a ziplock bag with peat moss only. Sprayed a little fungicide (ridomil gold) inside the ziplock (just a mist) and kept them in a moderate temperature from 25c to 30c inside a foam box. Took about 2-5 months to germinate all of them.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
I believe that only two trees are sufficient for pollination.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 03:52:49 PM »
Update:

After one year of purchasing platonia insignis seeds,  Two seeds have emerged from the soil, 3 more seeds to go.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
My two platonia insignis seedlings. I'm amazed how tough they are compared to other tropical trees.

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
My two platonia insignis seedlings. I'm amazed how tough they are compared to other tropical trees.

One of the platonia insignis seedlings got eaten by a feral cat  :'(. Yes, our feral cats are vegetarian and they love young plant shoots. The good news, the seedling started to regrow again.
Moh'd

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 01:10:33 AM »
Hi any news on peoples plantings of this?
I finally got one sprout going. Now I search for another

No
One of the platonia insignis seedlings got eaten by a feral cat  :'(. Yes, our feral cats are vegetarian and they love young plant shoots. The good news, the seedling started to regrow again.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 03:11:27 AM »
I gave away some about 7 years ago and now feel an itch. I wonder how they are going.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »
Thus has been on my wishlist for 15+ yrs
I just found that one sprouted in my nursery! Whoop whoop!
Now I need another.  Haha