Author Topic: Marang in subtropics  (Read 1036 times)

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
Marang in subtropics
« on: April 07, 2020, 09:21:42 PM »
Hi All,

I recently bought a marang fruit at the market.  As I was snacking I spit my seeds throughout the yard and didn't think anything of it.  But several weeks later I have marang seedlings sprouting from my dirt pile in the shade.  I was under the impression these trees would only survive in the true tropics.  We are in Autumn outside Brisbane, Australia and it is about 17C at nighttime.   Will these seedlings die come winter?  The lowest temperature in my area is 0C and that only really happens once a year if ever.  Average winter night time temperature more hangs around 10C. 

Cheers,
Christian

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Marang in subtropics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
freese will kill it. You could try protecting it during witner
Oscar

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
Hi All,

I recently bought a marang fruit at the market.  As I was snacking I spit my seeds throughout the yard and didn't think anything of it.  But several weeks later I have marang seedlings sprouting from my dirt pile in the shade.  I was under the impression these trees would only survive in the true tropics.  We are in Autumn outside Brisbane, Australia and it is about 17C at nighttime.   Will these seedlings die come winter?  The lowest temperature in my area is 0C and that only really happens once a year if ever.  Average winter night time temperature more hangs around 10C. 

Cheers,
Christian

There is a guy on here that has one growing on the coast. If that’s true then should be possible in Brisbane but where in Brisbane makes a big difference. I get frosts but I’m in outer Logan, inner Brisbane is muuuuch warmer. Protect for a few years regardless, interested to see how it goes :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:08:58 AM by Ulfr »

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
We're in Mount Crosby so we add a few degrees to either side of the extremes closer to the city. Doesn't get as cold or hot as Ipswich but the climate is about an average of the two locations.  I'll try to keep em on a heat pad this winter and see how we go!