Author Topic: 2014/15 CRFG grafting demonstrations  (Read 6701 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
2014/15 CRFG grafting demonstrations
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
Santa Barbara/Ventura CRFG chapter presents...
APPLE GRAFTING WITH DR. JOE SABOL!

WHEN: Saturday, January 18th – 10:00 to Noon (not 10:30 – 12:30 as usual!)

WHERE: Kay and Norman Beard 200 Ellwood Ridge Road, Goleta, CA 93117

WHAT: Apple grafting being taught by Dr. Joe Sabol.
You can graft your own apple tree and take it home!

FEE: Free for members, plus $3 to cover root stock, scion wood, supplies.
For non-members, a $3-5 donation is suggested plus the $3 for root stock etc. = $6 - $8 if you can manage that.
($10 membership + $3 for root stock will give you 1 year free local CRFG events plus an apple tree to take home, so why not join?)

DIRECTIONS:
From Ventura/Santa Barbara: 101 North, right on Winchester Canyon Road, right on Cathedral Oaks Road, left on Ellwood Canyon Road, right up hill on Ellwood Ridge Road.

From North: 101 South, Hollister Avenue off ramp, left over freeway, right on Calle Real, left on Cathedral Oaks Road, past Winchester Canyon Road, left on Ellwood Canyon Road, right Ellwood Ridge Road.

INFORMATION: Some low chill trees, citrus, Tropical, semi-tropical plants may be for sale. You can come at earlier date, to make sure you get the plant you wish. Call: 448-7912. Self tour of exotic plantings on five acres.

PLEASE BRING: Folding garden chair or stool, sunhat, water, sunscreen, umbrella or whatever you need to be comfortable. We also appreciate your bringing things to share: scion wood, fruit, plants, baked goods etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:49:42 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
Re: 2014 CRFG grafting demonstrations
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:06 PM »
CRFG Central Coast Chapter

Annual Scion Exchange and Grafting Clinic

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cal Poly Crops Unit (corner of Highland and Mt. Bishop Rd) San Luis Obispo, CA.

Six of the finest "gifted grafters" in the Central Coast Chapter have agreed to demonstrate their grafting skills ALL AFTERNOON on Saturday.

The biggest scion exchange between Los Angeles and San Jose will be open to the public at 1:30.

John Valenzuela, Chapter Chair of the Golden Gate Chapter, is driving down from the Bay Area with a half-ton of precious scion wood from the recent scion exchanges in Northern California.

The CRFG "Supply Store" will open at 1 p.m. On sale will be grafting supplies of all kinds, including grafting knives, parafilm, goop, and of course the rootstock! Also on sale Pheromone Strips for codling moth control in small/backyard quantities.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »
Ricshaw, thanks for plug of our Chapter's event this Sat. I'll be there demoing whip & tongue grafting after I help set up scion wood tables.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
Thanks, Rickshaw. That's awesome.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:47:49 AM by nch »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »
Ricshaw, thanks for plug of our Chapter's event this Sat. I'll be there demoing whip & tongue grafting after I help set up scion wood tables.

Scott,  I have some potted Dragon Fruit cuttings.  Would it be appropriate to bring them to share?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »
Wow, Venezuela is a really dedicated CRFGer. I heard about the size if that chapter. Show us some photos.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
Ricshaw, this a scion exchange and mostly just scion wood or cuttings of plants and rootstock sales but if your coming up and want to donate I'm sure someone will be interested. look for me my name tag will be Robert Scott

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »
Wow, Venezuela is a really dedicated CRFGer. I heard about the size if that chapter. Show us some photos.

Very nice lineup which I could attend.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:19 PM »
CRFG Central Coast Chapter
Annual Scion Exchange and Grafting Clinic

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
Thanks, for the pics, Ricshaw. It looks like a big crowd there. Wish I could attend.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »
Ricshaw, you were there for sure by the pic's I see, I was swamped outside demoing whip & tongue I wish we would have met! Was a good exchange and always nice to see John V. without the scion wood that he brings down every year we wouldn't have much!! I didn't know that you were such good friends Oscar, John's very nice guy!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
Ricshaw, you were there for sure by the pic's I see, I was swamped outside demoing whip & tongue I wish we would have met! Was a good exchange and always nice to see John V. without the scion wood that he brings down every year we wouldn't have much!! I didn't know that you were such good friends Oscar, John's very nice guy!

Yes... You were swamped!! 

This was my first Central Coast meeting and first scion exchange.

I am planning on attending the May Tim Thompson the "Mango Professor" meeting. Maybe we can meet then.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:58:29 PM by ricshaw »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the photos Richard. Robert looks different than I imagined. Next time I'll be able to recognize him.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
Wow, cool pic's of my old self Ricshaw, I wish to wood of said Hi but great pic's thanks for posting.
fyliu, yeah that what this crazed fruit grower looks like! ::) :P :o 8) 8) 8)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
I went too, that was so fun! I learned many things about grafting, the most important being that when grafting hardwood's it is not good to cover the scion completely in parafilm. I came a little late but what I brought to trade vanished within five minutes. It was very kind of John Valenzuela to bring down all those scions from Northern California.

I grabbed a bunch of peach, plum, and miscellaneous scions including "Tejon" Peach, "Mid Pride" Peach, Female Melonberry, "Yellow Unknown" Plum, "Brown Turkey" Fig and many others. Norman hurt his leg somehow and was supposed to come so I made sure to call him and ask what scions he wanted so I could get them for him.

Very fun event… I am coming next year for sure!
Jackson

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »

This was my first scion exchange.

Okay...  I had one gallon Ziploc bags and a Sharpie pen...

What is the best way to label individual scion wood?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
I always carry a roll of blue painters tape with me and write down name of scion or since I use to get alot of scion I would write down scion name on note book and have it numbered 1-thru what ever number depending on how many scion's you pick up!Some years in past I've had to double number and letter key to the name of scion's because I picked up so many!This year when I went to O.C. scion exchange I took small zip-lock bag's and just wrote down name of scion on bag and kept each one in it's on bag. Then come next year I use same bag's again and just put painter's tape over old name and write new name on.
Have to clean bags in between of course.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
AnnonAddict, I now know who you are I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you and also sorry that I didn't lend you grafting knife, I don't lend out my knifes unless I know the people and since I hadn't meet you I didn't know who you were. I must say that you impressed my wife and John V. with your knowledge of tropical fruit names and the Latin names too! Keep up the great enthusiasm and learning that you have at such a young age it warms my heart to see young folks so smart and enthused about positive thinks.Your a lucky little man to have Norm's place to roam around in stay focused, I'm sure to hear good thinks in future about you!  :o 8) 8) My friend John gave me a piece of avocado scion wood from you and a couple of fruits those are tasty little guy's I grafted it onto rootstock today can you give me any more infor on this little jewel 'Bebe de campana"' Baby Bell' right?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:12:21 PM by ScottR »

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »
AnnonAddict, I now know who you are I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you and also sorry that I didn't lend you grafting knife, I don't lend out my knifes unless I know the people and since I hadn't meet you I didn't know who you were. I must say that you impressed my wife and John V. with your knowledge of tropical fruit names and the Latin names too! Keep up the great enthusiasm and learning that you have at such a young age it warms my heart to see young folks so smart and enthused about positive thinks.Your a lucky little man to have Norm's place to roam around in stay focused, I'm sure to hear good thinks in future about you!  :o 8) 8) My friend John gave me a piece of avocado scion wood from you and a couple of fruits those are tasty little guy's I grafted it onto rootstock today can you give me any more infor on this little jewel 'Bebe de campana"' Baby Bell' right?
Hi Robert,

Call me Jack, thanks for all the praise, I am glad that everyone was impressed with me :D. You really pointed it out when you said I have Norm's place to roam around... he taught me half the stuff I know about tropical fruits. It's okay that you didn't lend the grafting knife... if some kid came up to me and I was a gifted grafter I wouldn't do it either.

Glad you tried the "Bebe de Campana" Avocado's... I brought a few for anyone who wanted to to try. John V. said that he really liked them... they are a great avocado. It is not an established variety... it is actually a seedling. The fruits are about the size of a baseball but larger. I was eating them one day and I noticed that they really looked like a bell so I researched and looked for any avocado that had the characteristics of this fruit/tree. I think the flavor is really good, it has a smooth buttery texture lacking any fiber or grain, it is creamy but has strong aromatic flavors infused in the flesh too. Almost every single avocado I have eaten off this tree has been delicious.

I think the flavor beats Bacon and Hass by a lot but the fruits have so little flesh it is impossible to make a bowl of guacamole with five of them... considering with Hass you could easily make some guac with only three large fruits. I  am trying to spread this avocado around and get it popular, I think it really deserves to be in the markets some day.

I am glad you got some scion Robert, now that it is in the hands of someone older and more professional then me it has a better chance of being spread around. The tree is also very pretty, from the bottom to the top it looks like a gristly stump with three branches... but then higher up there are these green vertical shoots going straight up and they have the largest leaves on an avocado I have ever seen... at largest about one foot length and six inches width... but that's a rough estimate. I will post some pictures on here soon.

If anyone wants scion of this Avocado send me a PM... scions are free.

Thanks,
Jackson

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »
Thanks for reply Jack, I'll await some pic's of the tree and keep bugging Norm maybe some of your youth will rub off on him! ;) 8)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
Demonstrating grafting apple scion onto rootstock.

YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsmbRI33TM

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Thanks for reply Jack, I'll await some pic's of the tree and keep bugging Norm maybe some of your youth will rub off on him! ;) 8)
Hi Robert,

Here are the requested pictures of the "Bebe de Campana" tree...

Here is the "gristly" part of the tree.

And here is a large leaf... I couldn't get a good photo of the whole tree because of bad lighting but I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jackson

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »
Thanks Jack, is the tree on your place or Norm's.

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Thanks Jack, is the tree on your place or Norm's.
It's at my place.
Jackson

ricshaw

• View Profile
Re: 2015 CRFG grafting demonstrations
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
Mark your calendars... Saturday, February 21st.

The annual CRFG Central Coast Chapter's annual Grafting Event and Scion Exchange.

In past years, this is their most heavily attended meeting! There will be grafting supplies for sale.

The annual Scion Exchange and Grafting Clinic will be located at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Crops Unit, on the corner of Highland and Mt. Bishop Road.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2014/15 CRFG grafting demonstrations
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
Sounds good. It's a little far for me but I plan to go to this sometime in the future. It's supposed to be the biggest one. 500 or so people attending.

I wonder if anyone attending the Feb 14 west LA scion exchange will also attend this one. They could take all the leftover scions over. I kind of do that among the LA area exchanges.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »
Yeah come all to the Central Coast scion exchange! I'll be there with my grafting kit to demo whip & tongue grafting technique or what ever type of graft you might want to learn!  8)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Anybody going who has some avocado scion wood to share?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 08:09:47 PM »
Ricshaw, I'll be bringing some varieties but most are blooming right now so I don't know yet witch ones you can PM me when it get's closer to the date of exchange.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk