Author Topic: keeping new mango grafts sun or shade?  (Read 2339 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
keeping new mango grafts sun or shade?
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Through the forum I have notice in general the tendency to put new graftings in shade for cure and recovery; Adam sugest that ; I think for Atemoyas or Sugar Apple; I received yesterday a package with some mango scions from Florida that took a month 3 days in transit; so I took them inmediatly with the grafter; he said the scions were still in good conditions; when I asked were to put them to my surprise he said in the sun! He mention that everything in the world needs the sunlight to thrive; I explain the benefits of the shade and dehidratation he didn't pay too much atention; then I stop then I realize I was talking with a guy that is not an Agronomist or have a degree in agriculture; perhaps didn't even make it to elementary school born and.raise in a 10.000 people small town however surrounded in past years for thousands hectareas of mango plantations; a guy who did 10.000 mango grafts for a local Asian farmer; a man who said in the mango boom in the 80's use to do for grafting season that last 2 months ; 400 grafts per day from 8 am to 3 pm; so after hearing this I feel like kind of stupid; I took a balance desicion and put the grafts below a Lichee tree were they get shade in morning and afternoon sunlight; any thoughts considering scions were over 30 days in transit? BTW interesting tool he use for grafting he purchase  in a hard ware store what is call in spanish a segueta saw bar usually use for breaking Iron bars; of good quality steel made; then  he took away the saw with a barber stone which barber used to shape their blades; which is really low grade or fine ( lija muy fina) I dont know the term in english; then he does the "empuņadura o mango " from wood; he said next time was going to give me.one  as a gift; I notice the cuts were easy and very straight because the knife was very "filoso" Next time I"ll post pics also of the stones
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:59:49 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: keeping new mango grafts sun or shade?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
I don't see a problem with sun depending on what the graft is wrapped with. When I top work a tree in the ground, the new grafts get full sun and it's not a problem. On the other hand, if I graft a young seedling and then cover with a plastic bag, it needs the shade because in full sun the bag will heat up too much and kill the tree.

It also depends on what you are grafting. Mangos seem to be very forgiving.

Edit: Another reason the shade is beneficial is to maintain moisture levels. In the sun, a young seedling that was grafted may dry out too quickly and then the graft will die. So that's another factor to consider.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:52:22 PM by murahilin »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
I would follow his advice and put them in full sun. if he did 10.000 grafts he probably will know how to do it.

Thai also have no education but can graft well.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
You can get away with a lot but I think that light shade until the new foliage hardens off.
To fashion a grafting knife from a hacksaw blade sounds like a chore.  We buy scalpels from the veterinary supply store.  You buy a handle and several disposable blades.  The disposable blade is way sharper than you will be able to sharpen a knife, even with sandpaper,(lija fina).  The resourcefulness of Mexican workers is always amazing but you might check a vet's supply store for their disposable knives.
Saludos,
Peter

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
I have lousy grafting skills, and want to do everything possible to help my poor new grafts thru 90F+ weather. Grafted seedlings in pots are moved from under the roof (with some afternoon sun) to almost total shade now. New avocado tree (greenwood) and loquat tree (older branches) grafts are unfortunately sitting in full sun. If I cover all of them with a paper brown bag, should I poke a few holes so they get some sunlight too? Thank you!
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
Since so many factors are involved this is a judgement call on your part.  I'd use buddy tape or parafilm to keep the scions moist, filtered sun, some nurse branches intact until the new buds push well, etc. Carlos turned me onto a a #2 medium excel knife holder and Schick injector blades.  Que es excelente'!  Keep your tools and nose clean and don't let your scions or rootstock injuries dry out.   :)  I sometimes spray with a quart of distilled water until I have my ducks in a row.

Graft or full grown, morning sun is better than afternoon.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:44:21 PM by Mark in Texas »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk