Author Topic: Red Jaboticaba U-Pick  (Read 1335 times)

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Red Jaboticaba U-Pick
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
I recently bought two red jaboticaba plants and am very excited for them to bear fruit. Theyre growing great, putting out flushes on the regular. Ive eaten the black one and it tasted good but the red they say is even better and bears many more times a year. From what I understand they are a low maintenance fruit crop. Now can anyone explain why something like this is so hard to find on U-pick farm for example? Blueberrie Upicks are all over Florida but why not a U-pick Red Jaboticaba (mixed with other tropical fruits that bear profusely and regularly: starfruit, everbearing mulberry,dragonfruit...).   

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Red Jaboticaba U-Pick
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
I don't think there is a market for most of these tropical fruits when compared to the normal of Apples, Pears, Peaches, Grapes, Oranges and Bananas.

It usually takes a heavy marketing push to get any fruit accepted by the public.
So unless some investors plant huge plantations of tropical fruit (where land is at a premium) and then market it to the American consumer,
We probably won't have it anytime soon.

You should look into the history of bananas, pineapples and citrus to see the amount of work it took to get these fruit into the typical grocery.
I found it pretty interesting

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
There is at least one member of this forum that has devoted the space to have a small orchard of red jabos. So it seems
the value of the fruit is catching on. A U-pick is a huge under taking but remember people laughed at Walt Disney.
Maybe throw in the word Organic U-pick and...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
you'd make more money shipping fruit, than letting people come and knock fruit off, and eat them in the grove, while they pretend to fill their baskets for less than $12 per lb....

there's no way in hell i'd let random people come to my grove and pick their own fruits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
Indeed, I've seen what people do in those U-Picks
The the owners and the trees deserve better.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:17:30 AM »
I have 3 bearing escarlate/scarlet and 2 red hybrids bearing (thanks Oscar) and they do have multiple crops but mine are young and they are still light crops. Do you mean one of these or P.phitrantha? For self picking sabara and even grimal are the obvious choices.My 3 sabaras are crazy prolific and crop frequently.The crop of huge grimals I just had was the 3rd in a short space of time and it is not easy to use that many.I can smell the rotting fruit from my living room.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk