Author Topic: Dwarf Fijian coconuts  (Read 2416 times)

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
Dwarf Fijian coconuts
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:28:42 PM »
Hey everybody,

I am looking to get some truly dwarf Fiji coconuts. I’ve tried contacting the guy in homestead but haven’t succeeded, are there any other reliable sources in Florida?

http://romneyfarms.angelfire.com/coconuts.html

Is it true that Fiji are the only truly dwarf coconuts, I know there may be debate on this topic so mainly what are good resources for Fiji dwarf coconuts.

Thanks for the help

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fijian coconuts
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:23:05 AM »
I think I read their are many types of dwarf coconuts... Mapraow NamHoom, Fragrant Thai coconut has many dwarf varities, however they are nothing like the dwarf Samoan/Fijian ( I assume the same?? )  In Hawaii they called them Dwarf Samoan.  I have seen some Namhoom Dwarfs that have coconuts going to the ground, and big wide trunks, but the planting conditions were extremely well, with huge tilled mounds, water troughs on both sides, heavy fertilizer, etc... 

I plant the NamHoom dwarfs on my property and advantage is they will set flowers in year 3, no longer than year 5, and they are only a  5-6 feet tall at this point.  I'll take a pictures of one of my dwarfs later today.  In year 8-10 they get skinny and tall just like other coconuts, they really start to take off eventually.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »
It's the difference between "starts fruiting when small" (non-Fiji dwarf) and "effectively stays small" (Fiji dwarf).  The non-Fiji dwarfs will eventually become large trees.

I got mine from jcaldeira, but he hasn't been active on the forum in a while; it literally came straight from Fiji.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
What heights has anyone seed the Fiji Dwarfs top out at? I have a young one in ground here that is about to start showing off it's trunk.
-Josh

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
This is from Oscar/fruitlovers

In my oppinion there are no dwarf coconuts.  However, people refer to coconuts as being dwarf because some varieties start bearing fruits after 2 years of being planted.  I used to grow the yellow "dwarf"; the red "dwarf"; and the green "dwarf".  I prefer the green one.  The water from the green one is sweeter to me.  Currently, I still have a couple green malay and one yellow coconut tree. 
The so called "dwarf" coconuts reach 10 to 12 meters high.  If I had to plant only one variety, I would choose the green malay "dwarf"
In Brasil, an improved green malay "dwarf" variety bears the first crop with the fruits touching the ground.
[/quote

Hi Berto, no you are definitely wrong about that. There are real dwarf coconuts. For example Samoan dwarf never gets more than 10 feet tall. You can see them all around these islands, with giant nuts very close to the ground. You are right though, about Malaysian dwarf. This coconut is not really dwarf, just called that because it starts bearing at very young age, so very low to ground, but will eventually get very tall. Not sure about Fijian dwarf as we don't have them here.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1005.0

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »
-Josh

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »
Jcaldiera had some suspicion that the "fiji dwarf" population in Florida may frequently suffer from cross pollination.  He said that there's four separate registered varieties of dwarf coconut in Fiji.

If you can get one straight from Fiji stock, I'd recommend it.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
Unfortunately that would be illegal to import that ginormous "seed". I got mine in a roundabout way from a somewhat isolated patch at Chapman field. It will be the green type judging by the fronds.
-Josh

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
There are many more types than we can fathom. There is a huge diversity here on the Big Island. Here is one that is my second favorite I've found. The tree is sadly not a true dwarf....

Biodiversity is key.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
I bought 4 at the broward rare fruit council tree sale a few years back.  They’re still a few years away from fruiting.  I don’t have background on them so I hope they’re legit.