Author Topic: Best tasting mangos of 2018  (Read 46858 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mangos of 2018
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »
Seacrest is a wonderful mango.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2018, 07:42:07 PM »
The third  mango in the first picture has sweet turd  written on it.

As in
Rumani
Coc
Sweet turd

Very funny.  Nevertheless the Sweet Tart was my best mango this year.
Dan

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
I just cut open the single Lemon Zest I got off my tree last night and I have a new number one for the year. This LZ was mostly green when it came off the tree but it ripened to a beautiful orangish yellow. The Mango was still really firm and only gave off a very slight sweet aroma before I cut it open. The flesh was orange in color and the areas around the skin had a nice citrusy flavor.

The texture of the flesh was perfectly firm but completely ripe with no chalkiness. The juice was extremely viscous and sticky with sugar. I’ve had better Lemon Zests than this one but this one is very close to a perfect Lemon Zest. It had a Brix of 28% and tastes candy sweet with an excellent citrusy aroma and taste.  The only thing that could have been improved upon is that the citrusy taste could have been even stronger, as I’ve tasted in the past.

Here are some pictures when it fell off the tree when I gently touched it.

Here it is ripened up

Inside flesh

On a scale

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
Have mercy Simon.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:22 PM »
Simon, thanks for your review! Seems that LZ and ST are consistently top two for California.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2018, 07:14:11 AM »
I have grafted Lemon Zest onto several of my mango seedling trees in the ground and it is growing very well. Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest seem to be the best and most vigorous growers at my location.  Looking forward to trying some fruit in a few years when the trees and growth are more mature.

Johnny

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2018, 01:52:43 AM »
Yes, Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart are perennial favorites here in SoCal. They also happen to be two varieties that seem to grow really well here. I’m talking about vegetative growth and not fruit production. Sweet Tart does produce really well here but Lemon Zest needs to settle in and seems to produce well in areas were Fungal pressures are not so much an issue.

A few Lemon Zest grafts I put on Leo Manuel’s trees have bloomed but have not set fruit. Leo has a hands off approach when it comes to spraying his trees, meaning he doesn’t spray at all unless something is drastically wrong. Most the varieties he grows will produce very well without any spraying. Many of his Mango trees will have Powdery Mildew covering most the blooms and many of the leaves but also will still get bumper crops of Mangos.

For me personally, the flavor of Lemon Zest is so superior that I am willing to plant it in my small yard. I may get only a few Mangos in bad Powdery Mildew years or I may have to incorporate a spray regimen but I’m willing to do the extra work for this top tier variety.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »
Thus far I have grafted Lemon Zest onto two seedling tree, one manila and one Kent.  Both are doing well and are quite vigorous. I will likely have to spray the LZ with Sulfer or Copper at least several times a year to prevent powdery mildew but in my view, it is worth it for the quality of the fruit.

In 2018 my most vigorous grower was my Coconut Cream grafted on manila root-stock. Now in late October, it is starting its 3rd flush. (See attached photo)

My sweet Tart Mango tree, also on manila root-stock, grew well in 2018 but only put out one major growth flush in July so far. Perhaps it will do another in November as sometimes happens as it did in 2017 but every growing season is different.  (See 2nd Photo)

My Nam doc Mai on Manila has also done well this year. Unlike Sweet Tart is has a number of smaller flushes throughout the year on a continuous basis but the flushes only affect a limited number of branches.  Right now just like the CC some limbs are flushing but more so on the CC. (See 3rd photo)

Because I focus on the growth of my young mango trees I remove all fruit in late spring or early summer and will do so again in 2019. In 2020 I will let all of my mature trees go into maximum production. 

As a side note, the CC and Sweet tart were grafted in the summer of 2016 and the Nam Doc Mai was grafted in 2015. All of the trees were planted in the ground in 2016.

Johnny

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »
I just cut open the single Lemon Zest I got off my tree last night and I have a new number one for the year. This LZ was mostly green when it came off the tree but it ripened to a beautiful orangish yellow. The Mango was still really firm and only gave off a very slight sweet aroma before I cut it open. The flesh was orange in color and the areas around the skin had a nice citrusy flavor.

The texture of the flesh was perfectly firm but completely ripe with no chalkiness. The juice was extremely viscous and sticky with sugar. I’ve had better Lemon Zests than this one but this one is very close to a perfect Lemon Zest. It had a Brix of 28% and tastes candy sweet with an excellent citrusy aroma and taste.  The only thing that could have been improved upon is that the citrusy taste could have been even stronger, as I’ve tasted in the past.

Here are some pictures when it fell off the tree when I gently touched it.

Here it is ripened up

Inside flesh

On a scale

Simon
Nice report Simon!
LZ was myvnumber one mango this year ST in very close pursuit. What is that black spot on LZ? Most of mine have been blemish free but every year I have some fruit that looks like that. It’s a great mango but it’s a powdery mildew magnet in any rootstock I’ve grafted it.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Hey Frank, I’m assuming that black spot is some surface fungus caused by moisture retention from the styrofoam Asian Pear wraps I use to protect my fruit. Wrapping the fruit with these types of wrappers seems to keep birds and rodents away but they hold moisture where it contacts the fruit.

6 Venus mango fruit we’re also wrapped in with these same wrappers and they got the black spot too. The fungus seems to only affect the skin and does not penetrate into the fruit.

Simon

manicmango

• Ca (818), 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
Hey California growers!! Where did you guys buy your Sweet Tart trees? I have an LZ (baby tree) and Peach Cobbler (also baby) but can't find a nursery that can ship sweet tart that ships to CA and from this thread it seems like a SoCal winner!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »
i ordered my original trees from Plantogram.

Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest grow pretty well on the Florida Turpentine rootstock but I would still recommend grafting up your own tree on Manilla or other seedling rootstocks. The Florida trees get droopy and seem really susceptible to gummosis and Phomopsis.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
Its probably better to acquire a grafted mango tree in May or June also so keeping it happy over winter is the nursery's problem.
Brad Spaugh

manicmango

• Ca (818), 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »
Thanks Simon. Good point Brad. I noticed Plantogram doesn't have any in stock, maybe they will come spring?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
I cut open this Maha Chanok grown in Leo Manuel’s yard the other day. It has a beautiful color and shape. I put it into the fridge when it was firm ripe and it is probably the best tasting SoCal grown Maha Chanok I’ve ever eaten, I don’t consider Maha in my top tier of Mangos.

This fruit still did not make it into top tier status but it was really good. It had a Brix of 19% and was firm with a nice orangish yellow color. I decided to post in this thread because it is in quite a few members top list. It was sweet with slight mango resin taste near the skin. I would have liked more of this resin taste throughout the flesh of this fruit but it was not there.

A good, well rounded mango but the flavor is not explosive like some of the Zill varieties.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
Here’s is an Edward grown in my backyard. It is another variety that is considered top tier by many members. It had a Brix reading of 19% and had firm, very dense flesh. I consider Edward a very good mango but it’s flavor profile is just average. It has a creamy buttery and dense texture. My wife thought Edward was fantastic.

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
I cut open this Maha Chanok grown in Leo Manuel’s yard the other day. It has a beautiful color and shape. I put it into the fridge when it was firm ripe and it is probably the best tasting SoCal grown Maha Chanok I’ve ever eaten, I don’t consider Maha in my top tier of Mangos.

This fruit still did not make it into top tier status but it was really good. It had a Brix of 19% and was firm with a nice orangish yellow color. I decided to post in this thread because it is in quite a few members top list. It was sweet with slight mango resin taste near the skin. I would have liked more of this resin taste throughout the flesh of this fruit but it was not there.

A good, well rounded mango but the flavor is not explosive like some of the Zill varieties.

Simon

Ya. Still a Good mango, perhaps great in the B.Z. Era (before Zill). But Now just an also-ran. Mango snobs pass on it. Mostly just newbies and East Asians that request it based on prior reputation.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
1. Crème brûlée
2. Ceci
3. Piña colada

Mangoes taste better to me if they have diacritics in their names
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:33:00 PM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
:D I don't know, it's still one of my favorites and I've got 30-some mango cultivars producing (over a dozen of those the new zillie cultivars). The key for me was eating it just a tad green, when it still has the east asian ('coca cola') sap taste and a sub-acid flavor.

Though the flavor isn't a solid 10 (it's close), it's the whole package that makes it an awesome mango tree. It produces strong crops every-single-year and has no disease issues. It's a slower grower (not slow, slow-er). It also hangs fruit for an extended season. Not a whole lot more you can ask of a mango tree.

Simon

Ya. Still a Good mango, perhaps great in the B.Z. Era (before Zill). But Now just an also-ran. Mango snobs pass on it. Mostly just newbies and East Asians that request it based on prior reputation.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »
:D I don't know, it's still one of my favorites and I've got 30-some mango cultivars producing (over a dozen of those the new zillie cultivars). The key for me was eating it just a tad green, when it still has the east asian ('coca cola') sap taste and a sub-acid flavor.

Though the flavor isn't a solid 10 (it's close), it's the whole package that makes it an awesome mango tree. It produces strong crops every-single-year and has no disease issues. It's a slower grower (not slow, slow-er). It also hangs fruit for an extended season. Not a whole lot more you can ask of a mango tree.

Simon

We have two. Originally it was supposed to be a lot more than that but a huge batch I got in 2014 turned out to be mislabeled.

They’ve been good performers. But apparently pretty BBS prone. Customers had warned us about this for a year prior as several already had infected Mahas (ours were clean to that point). Last year the smaller of the two got it bad, with some beginning to show up on the larger tree too. Board member Brett Borders Mahas were all rotting for a couple years so he cut his down last year. I expect to hear more of these stories going forward as a lot of people have planted Maha in the last couple years due to internet reputation and nursery recommendations. Can’t blame them because it was indeed a stellar backyard tree and even produced in loxahatcheeland without spraying. Probably gonna go the way of Kent now.

Farewell Maha. We hardly knew thee (photos courtesy of customers):

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:13 AM »

Simon

We have two. Originally it was supposed to be a lot more than that but a huge batch I got in 2014 turned out to be mislabeled.

They’ve been good performers. But apparently pretty BBS prone. Customers had warned us about this for a year prior as several already had infected Mahas (ours were clean to that point). Last year the smaller of the two got it bad, with some beginning to show up on the larger tree too. Board member Brett Borders Mahas were all rotting for a couple years so he cut his down last year. I expect to hear more of these stories going forward as a lot of people have planted Maha in the last couple years due to internet reputation and nursery recommendations. Can’t blame them because it was indeed a stellar backyard tree and even produced in loxahatcheeland without spraying. Probably gonna go the way of Kent now.

It is not my favorite mango in terms of taste, but Maha has been a champion in my yard in terms of production and the cleanliness of the fruit. Hopefully, the BBS will stay away, at least for a few more years.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »
Yikes. No mbbs on mine [so far].

Jeff  :-)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »
My top mango was a lemon Zest

Going to suck if it gets it

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:56:27 PM by WGphil »