Author Topic: Room For Three More Mangos  (Read 1265 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Room For Three More Mangos
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
I have room in my yard for three more mango trees and I was hoping to get a few opinions.  Currently I have a Rosigold, PPK, Fruit Punch, and Venus.  My goal is to have a long spread out season and not a massive glut of mangoes in the middle of summer (although that’s not the worst problem to have) and have a good variety of flavors (I’m not a fan of spicy/Indian mangoes but like pretty much everything else). I plan on trying to keep the trees around 10’.  Currently the three mangoes I’m looking at are Maha Chanok, Cac, and Honey Kiss. I originally chose Venus because I read it was a late season mango but not I’m reading that’s not the case so now I’m looking at Honey Kiss. Cac tastes great and is suppose to be productive and disease resistant but I’ve heard it could be hard to keep it at a reasonable size. Maha tastes great and is suppose to be disease resistant and productive and honestly just looks really cool! Are there any I’m missing out on that would be better?

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
Re: Room For Three More Mangos
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:56:01 AM »
I would definitely go for a Maha Chanok. They're pretty easy to keep to a manageable size and I don't find them to have much issue with diseases and on top of that they are an awesome tasting mango !
I know you said you don't like Indian mangos, but have you tried an Alphonso? I tried my first one this year and it's definitely one of my favorites. It's a very rich mango with strong taste!
Another one to keep in mind with me bring from Australia, it's pretty hard to go past a Kensington Pride. These mango trees are all over the suburbs here and for good reason. They do become large trees, so diligent pruning would be needed but may come at the expense of fruit some years.

Hope that helps!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »
I'd say definitely go with Maha (mid) and HK (late). They're nicely but differently flavored fruits, and the trees are beautiful, compact, and easily managed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:54:16 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
Fruit punch and ppk might be a little hard to keep at 10ft.
Honey kiss, Pickering, Maha should be easy to control.
Might consider getting sweet tart, it's vigorous but productive.
Cac is great and you can really trim it hard and it will still fruit the next year
Maybe m4 for a coconut favor, don't know much about the growth habits though

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
I vote for Cac for an early mango,my Dad has a tree planted 5 years ago that has never been fertilized with nitrogen after the first year that is at about 10 feet. I have done maybe 5 minutes in total pruning since planting and it is a nice tree that holds good crops mid May-mid June in North Fort Myers. Nice yellow mango medium sized firm flesh, mild but very pleasant with a hint of citrus flavor.Can have an extended bloom period.
  For Midseason I vote for Edgar. June-July ripening. It is a medium sized,yellow-light orange, firm ,peachy, pleasant mango. Edgar can have an extended bloom period.
For the late season according to your taste preference, I think you would be happy if you plant Honey Kiss since it can hold until September.
All three are very good pleasant mangos that would appeal to most tastes.
Maha is also good but very slow growing and slow to bear for me. That said, one of my 2 trees in Cape Coral did have a handful of April fruit once from a mid-November bloom.
If you like a pineapple coconut mango that makes a beautiful tree it is hard to beat Pickering as an semi-early to mid season mango.
If you tasted a properly ripened Little Gem you might change your mind about "stronger" flavored mangos, it is a well balanced flavor and a healthy, pretty,productive tree. Ideally you shouldn't start to pick them until August and they will hold into September. Pickering and Little Gem need to ripen a few days after coming off the tree to be at their best.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:56:59 AM »
Pickering is late May to early July.  As I've said before, I love that variety in every respect!
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:00:29 PM »
Fruit punch and ppk might be a little hard to keep at 10ft.
Honey kiss, Pickering, Maha should be easy to control.
Might consider getting sweet tart, it's vigorous but productive.
Cac is great and you can really trim it hard and it will still fruit the next year
Maybe m4 for a coconut favor, don't know much about the growth habits though
Does Sweet Tart have MBBS issues?  Sure is a flavor bomb!
John

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »
I like my sweet tart, its my favorite of my mangos more for the fact its vigorous than anything else. Mine got kicked back by the cold a few years back and now it has grown back, doubled in size, super bushy, and even at 7 or 8 feet, it has about 20 golf ball sized mangos on it. Just remember, at 9B we can still get damaging frosts and to invest in some incandescent Christmas lights.

Pickering is another steady mango along with lemon zest. I have a cotton candy but it doesn't seem to have realized spring is here, but at the same time showed no distress at the limited cold weather we had this season either like a couple of my other trees. 

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:05 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone! I had considered Sweet Tart but read that it tastes similar to Venus so I wanted to try something different. Edgar has been high on my list of mangoes I want to taste but I can’t find enough information on it to justify planting it without having tried it. Pickering was on the my list of varieties, I may just have to try and find more space lol. I’m pretty sure there is a genetic component to liking Indian mangoes like how to some people cilantro tastes like soap. I like strong flavors, I like all the spices that they are supposed to taste like, I even like strong resinous flavors but mangoes like Carrie and especially Kesar taste like scotch whiskey mixed with ground up pills, cough syrup, and floor cleaner. How you eat your mangoes may also make a difference since I usually scoop the pulp from the skin with a spoon and those flavors are strongest near the skin; if you peel your mangoes you may get less of those flavors.