Author Topic: Moved to Tallahassee  (Read 1191 times)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Moved to Tallahassee
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
I recently moved to Tallahassee and want to get an idea of what I can grow up here with/without protection. I plan to get a greenhouse eventually, but so far I have planted grumichama and cherry of the rio grande. I also plan to give Florida hass, guabiju, psidium spp., jaboticaba, passiflora nitida, and some banana varieties a chance. Any feedback on those choices or recommendations for additional plants that are possible?

I know i can grow persimmons, citrus, peaches, apples, pears and blueberries which I will also start growing at some point.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Moved to Tallahassee
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
It's not unusual for Tallahassee to get down into the low 20's some nights in winter.  Zone 8b (USDA).
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »
Gonna be tough up there.  I would focus on stone fruits which can be every bit as good as a mango (depending on your exact area some citrus could be problematic).  Maybe do some research to see what yhe actual number of chill hours your area gets so you can choose the varieties taht will do best for you.  As you said, you will definitely be able to grow some great persimmons.

As for avocados, I would not focus on Florida Hass,  instead go with varieties with better cold tolerance.
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Yeah, I know it gets pretty cold here and I'm glad I still have my place down in 9b to grow mangoes and other subtropicals. Rob, i know you don't have to worry about chill temps where you're at, but do you recommend any sites to reference low temperatures? Also, does anyone have recommendations for avocado varieties?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »
Justfruits and exotics is around the corner from you. I stopped by there once when I was coming back
from Georgia and was impressed. Very nice owners and incredible nursery. Also Ty Ty is not far away
probably less then 90 minutes. I visited there one day and they had a decent selection. At the time the
manager was offering deep discounts for cash deals? Check out the local nurseries!