Author Topic: Topping and shaping artocarpus species. My experience so far.  (Read 9851 times)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Topping and shaping artocarpus species. My experience so far.
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
Hi Rytis,
A. hirsutus grow like this only. You can't find lower branches on large trees, because Wild jacks are grown mainly for timber in Kerala. Moreover, lower branches dies off from the tree as the tree grows. BTB, this species is very fast growing.
Could you please tell something about growth rate of A. hirsutus? Some of the forum members are arguing that the species is slow growing.

That's too bad about lower branches dying off eventually, but again I don't think anybody in India is pruning so much and so early like I do. Some of the low branches are very sturdy. I just don't don't see how they will die off eventually. I have another hirsutus, which I was pruning even more aggressively and lower branches are relatively very strong and thick compared to the rest of the tree.  I guess time will tell how it works out eventually.
Yes A. hirsutus is super fast growing. My top 3 fastest trees. If I would not have been pruning it would have been much taller.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:46 AM »
Part two of the update. Marangs. This is most promising species. Nearly all marangs I got made them bushy with lost of low spreading branches and no clear leader.  After seeing how well it reacts to size control, I think it's borderline sinful act just to plant and do nothing about size control  :) .

This is the only tree from from the first post.  Reuploading first pic to follow progress. The earlier pic is after second toping at 9 feet and the tree now.

Marang nr. 2. Topped higher than I usually do at around 7 feet and additional toppings of the leaders.

Marang nr. 3.  Topped at maybe 4 feet, than additional toppings of 3 leaders, now about 10 feet tall.

pinkdiamonds

• Australia 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »
Great topic!! I will be trying to grow artocarpus in a very restricted space, I'd be very interested to how your plants have been doing since this post!  :)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »
The Pedalai survived the extreme "topping" I gave it (about a foot off the ground), but as it's growing in the shade of an invasive breadfruit grove, it's starting to take on some height again, it's about 10 feet now, give or take a few inches.

I also lopped off a thick branch, cut it into pieces, scored off the bark at the bottom of the pieces, dipped 'em in hormone and planted them (I did the same with a thick breadfruit sucker, a thin one, and a root piece). I'm not sure I should expect them to grow or rot (I'm not very optimistic about it), but it's a worthwhile experiment. Not much to lose except a bit of rooting hormone, and if it works, I'll get a few extra trees.

Here's a comparison with the Pedalai leaves at the corners and the Breadfruit leaves in the middle. I thought Pedalai leaves were supposed to be rounded. I got my tree from Govardhan Gardens, and I'm wondering if it's a hybrid.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
doubtful its a hybrid, it looks like a pedalai leaf to me...

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »
If you prune a pedalai branch it will make baby leaves again, that's what you have now...when the tree gets older the leaves will be more round without fingers.
But from pruning the branches can get sick, loose bark and have dead wood. Mine has several branches but i try to keep it small which is not easy.
Your tree is in the shade and will try to grow into the light high above.

I just pruned my keledang and hope it will make more branches but so far i can only see one new branch coming. I want to keep it small.