Author Topic: Trying to find the binomial name for markisa a passiflora species from Bali  (Read 1384 times)

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery

Hi fellow fruit loops I am trying to find the binomial name for the passiflora species with the common name markisa in Bali. I posted two photos. I searched this forum and google and have not been able to get a definite ID. Thanks for any help .

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery

this is the second photo I could not attach it to the first post. Thanks

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Passiflora ligularis is the second most commonly grown species and they see m to do pretty well in places like Mareeba near you. They are also on the Atherton Tableland where this sub tropical species seems to thrive

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
Thanks heaps Mike I appreciate that. I have had people ask me for this species over the years and I thought they were asking for a variety of Passiflora quadrangularis. I will propagate it!  Thanks again...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
With confusion over names it is probably best to call is sweet granadilla and Passiflora quadrangularis, giant granadilla. Rusty's has them sometimes.

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
Hi Mike yeah that sounds good about the common names I remember seeing a similar species in the Sydney wholesale fruit market and the vendor said they were from the tablelands and they had a marketing name that I have since forgotten. Mate off topic here but I read an old thread about Salak palm and in it you mentioned there may have been fruiting Salak in our area? I have never bothered with them as Allison and Digby Gotts said they grew over 500 trees in the daintree but they never set fruit and the others I have seen in FNQ don’t set fruit either. Have you seen any set fruit in FNQ? Do you think they are worth trying if if they are hand pollinated?Sorry to bother you with it and I probably should PM you or start a New topic but hey... Thanks
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:31:41 AM by luketrollope »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Salaks fruit quite easily especially balis as they are monos. Everyone seems to put in garbage varieties when they should focus on the 3 best balis including gula pasir and boni. With S.wallichiana I got screwed over with customs in Sydney who pocketed my 3 loculed fruit seeds and the seeds picked up by friends obviously were not from 3 loculed fruit as they all turned out to be males, except for one that is. I retained my fruiting female and one male and just chopped down 8 males.Only plant sumalee or noen wong varieties of this species - proper salas.With standard S.zalacca only those from Yogyarta are the go. Golin Gray formerly from Cape Trib popped over today and expressed the opinion that they are not worth it. It is important to plant from suckers once the sexes and quality is sorted out and most important of all is to know variety.

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
Cool Mike thanks for the info. That sucks you got 8 males! I will make sure to get 3 seeded fruit. Strange phenomena that. I wonder if there is a reason Salak don't do well in the Daintree. Maybe it is for the same reason  mangoes don't do well in  Julatten in that they get rain at the wrong time of year when the trees are flowering? I hope Collin Gray is doing well. Thanks again.