Author Topic: Myrica rubra  (Read 73259 times)

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
Re: Myrica rubra
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2019, 02:19:16 AM »
I found a second sprout yesterday

Simon

Sound like you got good batch of seeds mine are still in pots for over 6 months no signs yet, who is your source for those seeds?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #201 on: April 11, 2019, 03:29:43 AM »
Any place we can order a Cali grown fruit?! I have paid as much as $24 a lb for some imported mangosteens.

We'll likely have a limited quantity of California grown fruit this year for sale in select Bay area locations. Visit http://calmei-yangmei.com to stay updated when we announce, probably in May or June.  8)
From the website link given above:
It began in 2011 in a suburban backyard in Fremont, California, where Yunfei Chen, a scientist by trade, germinated his first yangmei seed. Within a few years, and after much trial and error, Yunfei succeeded in producing yangmei fruit of the highest quality. In an effort to share this delicious and nutritious fruit with the wider public, Yunfei and Charlie formed Calmei, Inc.

What part of CA is it grown in?
Oscar

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 11, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »
 ;D finally there is progress!!!

I have to wonder, how do these trees germinate and grow without all this special attention in the wild? How does the seed get dispersed? Is there a special mammal that has to swallow it? So many questions about its ecology!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »
Alright! Fresh California-grown fruit!

As far as I know, there's nothing too special about germination. Seeds just land on the ground where they're stratified/weathered for the winter or longer which reduces the amount of germination-inhibiting hormone in the shell and seed coat and some get worked into the dirt or buried by leave litter so they germinate all at different times.

It's not endangered or anything. A friend on FB posted photos of huge yangmei trees lining the streets of Tokyo. I guess they grow well there.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #204 on: April 11, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »

As far as I know, there's nothing too special about germination. Seeds just land on the ground where they're stratified/weathered for the winter or longer which reduces the amount of germination-inhibiting hormone in the shell and seed coat and some get worked into the dirt or buried by leave litter so they germinate all at different times.

It's not endangered or anything. A friend on FB posted photos of huge yangmei trees lining the streets of Tokyo. I guess they grow well there.
What is huge? How big do they get?
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »

What is huge? How big do they get?

They all seem to be males.

There's one on Uchinada beach, in the sand by the road side with maybe wind and salt burn on the leaves. That one's about 8ft, with male flowers.

There are huge trees at a park in Yokohama.

There are some near the Hiroshima A Bomb site, maybe 2 stories tall. There's a photo of one 3-4 stories tall next to an apartment building that I can't tell if it's yangmei.

There are street trees in Tokyo, pruned to narrow canopies.

atilla

• jamaica, montego bay 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Oscar what steps did you take to prevent shock?
fruits regularly in jamaica less than 200 meters elevation
atilla

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »
Oscar what steps did you take to prevent shock?
fruits regularly in jamaica less than 200 meters elevation
atilla
Oh great! Thanks, that gives me a lot more hope that they will fruit here. I am at exactly 200 meters also.
Oscar

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:47 PM »
My two seedlings got eaten by this black Caterpillar. Sucks, the caterpillar ate one seedling so I moved it and then more caterpillars showed up.

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »
I’m really bummed to see this news, need to take those caterpillars down to the lake with a fishing pole!

-Joep450

kernol

• Austria 6b/7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2019, 03:36:25 AM »
Hey, I could need some help with my Myrica rubra seedling.
 I've already lost two seedlings and I cant seem to keep em alive. Older leaves are always starting to dry out from the tips until it would cover the entire plant and slowly killing the seedling.
Any ideas how to prevent that from happening? Do I need some special kind of fertilizer even at this young growing stages?
The pic is of my latest seedling.

atilla

• jamaica, montego bay 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »
very sensitive to lime and chlorine

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
My two seedlings got eaten by this black Caterpillar. Sucks, the caterpillar ate one seedling so I moved it and then more caterpillars showed up.

Simon

Hi Simon, what technique did you use to germinate? I just got some seeds. Thanks.
Nate

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
I cold stratified the seeds for about a month and directly planted them in small pots with potting mix. I hear they don’t transplant well so next time, I will cold stratify and directly plant them into the ground where I want the tree to grow in it’s permanent location.

Simon

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »
Hey, I could need some help with my Myrica rubra seedling.
 I've already lost two seedlings and I cant seem to keep em alive. The pic is of my latest seedling.

Hmmmm, Are you sure that this is a Myrica? the leaves are much more toothed and very different....

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:01 PM »
I cold stratified the seeds for about a month and directly planted them in small pots with potting mix. I hear they don’t transplant well so next time, I will cold stratify and directly plant them into the ground where I want the tree to grow in it’s permanent location.

Simon

Thank you sir! PM me your address if you’d like me to send some seeds your way. They actually sent me more than I need. Cheers.
Nate

Ashok

• SF Bay Area, USDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »
Hey Tropical Fruit Forum --

I've heard Yunfei Chen (one of the principals of the CalMei venture) speak on M. rubra twice. Most recently, he spoke before our local CRFG chapter in March.

Several points:

Mr. Chen said that M. rubra/yangmei appears to be healthier and more drought-tolerant when grafted on M. californica roots. (This is under California conditions, obviously.) He and his partners are propagating elite Chinese cultivars in association with Suncrest Nursery in Watsonville. However, as alluded-to earlier in this thread, the plants are intended for commercial orchardists and will not be available to home growers until a few more years have passed.

Suncrest Nursery is propagating yangmei on M. californica roots. So, for those in California, forget about trying to germinate M. rubra seeds. Just get M. californica plants from a native plant nursery and wait until scionwood becomes available through the usual hobbyist networks. (This still might take a while, but that would leave time for rootstocks to become well-established and healthy.)

As to where the (small initial) CalMei crop is being grown (or was grown, the season is probably done now), Mr. Chen said the fruit was being produced in association with two Bay Area-region growers. Since he explicitly mentioned the Suncrest Nursery connection, I suspect the growers are in the Monterey Bay Area, but I could be mistaken. (I got the vague impression that the plants might be happier on the California coast than in the Central Valley ... for example, he grows his own home-garden plants under shadecloth in Fremont, and Fremont has a relatively cool/mild climate, certainly compared to valley locations.)

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2019, 01:54:14 AM »
I wonder how these New Zealand yangmei trials are going...

https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand/the-orchardist/20150201/282325383397179
Nate

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2019, 01:27:25 AM »
New video from CRFG on Calmei’s progress on the commercialization of the fruit.  Interesting tidbits on the cultivation of the plant.  Unfortunately they aren’t selling any plants. 
https://youtu.be/QyqQagZM_6Y

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »
Here's some photos of the best of my small collection.

I protect the one in the ground with a wire cage filled with dry leaves and then wrapped in plastic sheeting.

The newly purchased tree shows its label but all I can read is Yamamomo without any cultivar or variety name.
There was an addition ribbon tag put on by the friend that brought it to me with the hand written name 'Zulko'

I grew up in Japan and that is not a Japanese word.

ah so it's called mountain peach in Japanese, good to know

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
Could these potentially be grafted onto Morella cerifera - Wax myrtle for FL growers?

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
I've located a wholesaler in China that will sell 1-2 year seedlings for $1.99/pc but the minimum order is 500 and shipping is $500.  So, the total cost would be around $1500.00 with a phytosanitary certificate.  Obviously, I don't have a need for 500 plants nor do I want to spent that kind of cash.  But if anyone else does https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-quality-Myrica-Rubra-Waxberry-Tree_60585576333.html

The contact Jun Li responds to email in english.

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Found a listing on Ebay for a live plant Myrica rubra - Red Bayberry - Live Plant https://ebay.us/sSd70U

Looks like someone in Florida.  I'd bid but I'm in California,

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2019, 12:50:52 AM »
Found a listing on Ebay for a live plant Myrica rubra - Red Bayberry - Live Plant https://ebay.us/sSd70U

Looks like someone in Florida.  I'd bid but I'm in California,

Fruit trees can be shipped to Cali from Florida, FYI. You could have bid on that myrica rubra.
Nate

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
I wonder if anyone has already tried to graft M. rubra onto M. faya - this is a native species very abundant here in the Azores (zone 10b). I would give it a try here, just need to acquire scions somewhere (and make them get into the EU, maybe the trickiest part of the equation).

T