Author Topic: Eugenia neonitida  (Read 73180 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia neonitida
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 08:09:59 AM »
HI Steven, thanks for all the nice photos! Boy you are really roughing it there with poolside jaboticabas!  ;)
Yes please do post the jaboticaba liqueur recipe. I want to compare it with the way i made it. Was already fabulous, but always room for improvement.
Oscar

Hi Oscar :),
I already posted the Jabuticaba liqueur on the recipe section! The book ''frutas deliciosas'' has ton's of tropical fruit recipes! I will try to translate them all!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
Great, thank you Steven, and thank you also for all the other great information you have been posting.
Oscar
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
Great, thank you Steven, and thank you also for all the other great information you have been posting.
Oscar

Hi Oscar :),
YOU'RE WELCOME! ;D ;D ;D

No, Thank you Mr.Jaitt for the awesome info that you have posted!!! ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 12:33:18 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:20:48 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 03:26:11 AM »
Hey Ed,

You've got some great looking Plants.  I have been debating on whether or not to get a plant or 2 of the Eugenia neonitida, but have yet to make a decision.  Please keep us updated with the fruit and how they taste.  As far as anyone else that has this plant, please let us know if they fruit and how they taste.

Great job Ed, they truly look Fabulous!!!

- Jacob

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »
Hi Felipe,

I believe you asked for pictures. Here are a few pictures from last year. As you can see the fruit of E. neonitida really mature fast. It's only 2 weeks between these pictures.
Tomas

How do you know when they are ripe?  Color?
I have one (my first) that looks like your first picture and I don't want to pick it before it is ripe.
Thanks!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
Hello Gwenn,

You pick the fruit just before it falls off.  I know it sounds a little funny. What I mean is try to keep the fruit on the plant as long as possible to make it sweeter. I sometimes carefully squeeze a fruit and if it feels a little soft then you know it's just about ready to be picked. But if you don't mind the fruit falling on the ground then just check for fruits on the ground twice a day. The fruit will be mushy after a whole day off the plant.

Tomas

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
Hello Gwenn,
You pick the fruit just before it falls off.  I know it sounds a little funny. What I mean is try to keep the fruit on the plant as long as possible to make it sweeter. I sometimes carefully squeeze a fruit and if it feels a little soft then you know it's just about ready to be picked. But if you don't mind the fruit falling on the ground then just check for fruits on the ground twice a day. The fruit will be mushy after a whole day off the plant.
Tomas

Thanks!  I can't wait to taste it.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
Hi,

For those of you wondering if/when the flowers will turn into fruits, it will only take a few days to know. That's how fast the fruit starts growing. Once you see that green little baby fruit underneath the flower pedals you know it will not be aborted. Looks like this (less than a week after flowering):

Tomas
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:58:29 PM by Tomas »

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
Thanks for the photo Tomas ! I will check my flowers tomorrow!

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 11:03:47 PM »
Tomas
Thanks for posting pics!  U lucky dog! U have fruits already after first bloom??!

Mine bloomed like crazy and even set some fruit that barely swole up and then fell off.  I think if the fruit is going to stay, the sepals don't fold back, they stay protuding outward how they were when the flowers was attached still.  I could be wrong about this observation though...let me' know if u notice fruits that set and grow, with sepals that fold back!

Thanks!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Tomas
Thanks for posting pics!  U lucky dog! U have fruits already after first bloom??!

Mine bloomed like crazy and even set some fruit that barely swole up and then fell off.  I think if the fruit is going to stay, the sepals don't fold back, they stay protuding outward how they were when the flowers was attached still.  I could be wrong about this observation though...let me' know if u notice fruits that set and grow, with sepals that fold back!

Thanks!!

They like a whole lot of sunlight. Try putting the plant up against a white wall for reflected light.
Oscar
Oscar

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Adam,

It's actually not the first year I have fruits. But I do remember that the very first time it flowered I got no fruit.

Tomas

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
I just got two E. neonitida seedlings from Oscar; they are still rooting out into their new pots in high humidity, but I was wondering:

Has anyone had experience growing this plant in low humidity and/or high-wind areas?  I'm wondering if I can put this plant outside for the summer, once it has settled in.  My Eugenia reinwardtiana seem to tolerate the low humidity and wind rather well for a tropical plant.

Kevin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 01:12:59 AM »
I got some seeds and seedlings from Oscar ( both were viable and very nice!!)

The plant is so rugged, I'm guessing you can put a dish underneath it, and fill it every time it dries up.  They can tolerate standing water for days, although im not sure if they can handle standing water for months...

And on another note, in checked my biggest plant and it definitely has fruit set and growing!!!  Sepals all stayed forward, not curved back towards branch.  My other plant that has yet to set fruit, but flowers like crazy, has all of the sepals bent back after flowering...and they keep falling off!! Hope it gets it's act together and starts making me' some fruit!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:35 PM »
So it seems like the older the plant gets, the more fruit it sets, regardless of amount of flowers.  I have smaller one that flowered more than my larger ones, and the larger older plants set more fruits.

Tomas...about what percent of total  flowers seem to set fruit for u??  And how long from flower to fruit? 40-50days?

Ed...did your tree set fruits on it's first blooms?? I hope u get one like Tomas has!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »
Hi Adam,

I was checking my neonitidas last night. I think I saw like 50 fruits on 2 plants. The rest have not flowered yet. I only saw 2 flowers that were shriveled up with no fruits. That would be my estimate. I can be a little more scientific next time.  All plant are from the  same seed batch. I think it will be more in the neighborhood of 3-4 weeks
until ripe. They ripe very fast.

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »
Thanks for reply!

I notice u say u didn't get fruits first time u had bloom?? I don't know why i keep thinking u did if not.

Tomas, do u also notice variations in leaves on your plants?  Mine came from different sources, and they look very different.  Some have.more prominent viens, and larger leaves.  New growth starts off alost black it's so dark, much like my finger limes!  I love these plants!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
Yes last year when it first flowered I got no fruit. But a few months later it bloomed again and that time it fruited. You will get fruit many times in a year!

You are right on the money about the leaf variation. I will try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow.

Tomas

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
...and if could figure out how in the world I can get my fruits to be twice as large as the one in the picture in Lorenzo's book. An excellent book by the way (I know Oscar sells it).

Tomas

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:50:15 PM by Tomas »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
They are getting large fast!

How large is your biggest fruit Tomas?

Mine is the size of a chickpea...I have about 30 or less fruits set on one of my large bushes...my other smaller bush that flowered first about a year ago, has one fruit set..and it looks long like a wooden barrel!

I'll post pics if I can find the time! :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »
They are getting large fast!

How large is your biggest fruit Tomas?

Mine is the size of a chickpea...I have about 30 or less fruits set on one of my large bushes...my other smaller bush that flowered first about a year ago, has one fruit set..and it looks long like a wooden barrel!

I'll post pics if I can find the time! :)
Make less posts, take more pics.  ;) 8) :P
- Rob

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Hi,

Here's my Star cherry(pitangatuba) seedling! it's still a baby  ;D ;D ;D I hope my seedling get's as big and starts to fruit like your guys!!!

Time is like a river.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Well 100% of my blooms fell off without any fruit set! But I noticed a whole new round of flower buds! So I am hopeful for the second round!

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:26:53 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk