Author Topic: Eugenia neonitida  (Read 72904 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia neonitida
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
Hi Adam :),

EPIC pics!!! Thanx for sharing ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »
Jackwhisperer...

Am I going to have to freeze dry some Star Cherry to send your way? ;D

Have u tasted this before?  I wonder how they would turn out in a dehydrator?

I found out that jaboticaba that have been pecked at by birds,  and left on tree to dry, are like a delicious jaboticaba raisin! I had some yesterday...the pulp was not rotten or fermented either...they are wonderfully and naturally sun dried and delicious...now I just hope avian flu doesn't set in. :o ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »
Jackwhisperer...

Am I going to have to freeze dry some Star Cherry to send your way? ;D

Have u tasted this before?  I wonder how they would turn out in a dehydrator?

I found out that jaboticaba that have been pecked at by birds,  and left on tree to dry, are like a delicious jaboticaba raisin! I had some yesterday...the pulp was not rotten or fermented either...they are wonderfully and naturally sun dried and delicious...now I just hope avian flu doesn't set in. :o ;)

lmao :),

I will wait for them in the post!!!! hahahahaha

If grapes are dried, why can't you dry the Jabs!!! Excellent idea! It will concentrate the flavour and the sugars!
You better get vacinated for da A.flu!!! this is serious sh#$ (Pardon my language :) )

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2012, 12:40:58 AM »
Fruits are getting large fast!

I think I'm about 2 weeks away from Pitangatubaville, maybe I'll toss one in a margarita, and listen to Jim Buffet...but it could turn out that a bird gets to taste this rare treat before me!  Anyone wanna place bets! Bluejays, Catbirds and Cardinals have 3:1 odds against humanoids.... ;D ;D

Sometimes I learn about a fruit, and see it for years in a book, never having the chance to taste it...but all the meanwhile I already know I like the taste, without ever trying it!  I've had 100% success rate with this phenomenon...If I've been obsessed with a fruit long enough, it tastes good no matter what! :) 

I have a special picture all thought out already for this rare fruit, and can't wait to take it! (I've been planning this since I saw the fruit in Harry Lorenzi's book!! 3 or so yrs ago...So now my plan may come to fruition....wish me luck!)

I will post pics soon!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »
Fruits are getting large fast!

I think I'm about 2 weeks away from Pitangatubaville, maybe I'll toss one in a margarita, and listen to Jim Buffet...but it could turn out that a bird gets to taste this rare treat before me!  Anyone wanna place bets! Bluejays, Catbirds and Cardinals have 3:1 odds against humanoids.... ;D ;D

Sometimes I learn about a fruit, and see it for years in a book, never having the chance to taste it...but all the meanwhile I already know I like the taste, without ever trying it!  I've had 100% success rate with this phenomenon...If I've been obsessed with a fruit long enough, it tastes good no matter what! :) 

I have a special picture all thought out already for this rare fruit, and can't wait to take it! (I've been planning this since I saw the fruit in Harry Lorenzi's book!! 3 or so yrs ago...So now my plan may come to fruition....wish me luck!)

I will post pics soon!

They make netting to protect from this.  I know you are handy, just make a frame and protect with the netting.  Had to do this with sour cherries when I lived in Pennsylvania.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »

They make netting to protect from this.  I know you are handy, just make a frame and protect with the netting.  Had to do this with sour cherries when I lived in Pennsylvania.

If they get really bad I'll do it, but I always give the tree a chance to perform well without a net first.  I'm hoping the birds aren't attracted to the yellow color, and tart flavor.  Also really hope the Caribbean Fruit fly doesn't like this one!  Or I will get handy real fast, and make Bill Whitman box (box/screen/enclosure) faster than u can say "stay off my starcherries!"
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:28:55 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

Well- mine fell off last night in the rain-  I suppose it is ripe!
It is sour, but not overly so, sort of like a sour apricoty flavor. And no resin.
From my first tasting,  I am not a fan, too sour for me.
But my husband liked it, though he thought it had some of the "tomato" aftertaste of the pitanga.
There are more flowers on the plant, so maybe the flavor will grow on me with future tastings.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
Hi Gwenn,

Glad you got your first fruit. I also think it tastes like a sour apricot. But I like it. You can always add a little sugar and make a nice smoothie. I am very happy with my E. neonitidas. Not many plants that you can harvest fruits from in just a few years from seeds, and it's cool looking too!

Tomas

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »
Tomas,
I have been picking my pitangatubas, lately.  They are fantastic!  Pitangatuba is one of those fruits that is much better when processed into juices, sherberts,  ice creams, or jellies.  It is too sour/acidic to eat out of hand!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Tomas,
I have been picking my pitangatubas, lately.  They are fantastic!  Pitangatuba is one of those fruits that is much better when processed into juices, sherberts,  ice creams, or jellies.  It is too sour/acidic to eat out of hand!

Berto: i like pitangatuba out of hand.
Gwenn: first fruit a tree or plant makes is usually the worst, so don't give up on it yet. I think Berto's suggestion of using in smoothies is a good one if it does turn out too sour for you.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
Oscar,
I wish I could enjoy them out hand.  They are so fragrant, and the smell is absolutely fantastic. Pitangatuba is a must have eugenia in a fruit collection. I love them! But not out of hand!   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »
Oscar,
I wish I could enjoy them out hand.  They are so fragrant, and the smell is absolutely fantastic. Pitangatuba is a must have eugenia in a fruit collection. I love them! But not out of hand!

Wonder if yours is tarter than mine or you just don't like any tartness? I bet the pitangatuba is like surinam and there is a whole lot of variation from seeds. So no reason to expect all of them to taste exactly the same.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
Oscar,

MIRACLE FRUIT TO THE RESCUE!

Berto!  Do I have to mail u some berries!  Just ask and I will do it!  I'm mailing some other fruits to a few guys, so u r the last person I can include!

Let me know, but I'm curious to hear reviews about miracle fruit with star cherry, pitangatuba!

Will u b my test subject?! ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »
Oscar,

MIRACLE FRUIT TO THE RESCUE!

Berto!  Do I have to mail u some berries!  Just ask and I will do it!  I'm mailing some other fruits to a few guys, so u r the last person I can include!

Let me know, but I'm curious to hear reviews about miracle fruit with star cherry, pitangatuba!

Will u b my test subject?! ;D

Have you tried the MF on surinam cherry? Does the miracle work on the resiny after taste?
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
Oscar,
I have several pitangatubas, and all of them are fruiting now. They are from different sources of seeds.  They look a bit different to one another as far as hight, leaf size, and so on. They all taste tart/acidic to me (sabor azedo e acido).
I prefer to eat sweet fruits out of hand. I like the tart/acidic ones to make juices, jellies, and ice creams.
For example, a nice ripe white sapote or a nice ripe sapoti I eat out of hand.
Maracuja amarelo (yellow passion fruit), araca-boi, or pitangatuba -  I prefer to process them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
Oscar,
I have several pitangatubas, and all of them are fruiting now. They are from different sources of seeds.  They look a bit different to one another as far as hight, leaf size, and so on. They all taste tart/acidic to me (sabor azedo e acido).
I prefer to eat sweet fruits out of hand. I like the tart/acidic ones to make juices, jellies, and ice creams.
For example, a nice ripe white sapote or a nice ripe sapoti I eat out of hand.
Maracuja amarelo (yellow passion fruit), araca-boi, or pitangatuba -  I prefer to process them.

OK, but as hundreds of seeds get planted out don't be surprised if some sweeter cultivars of pitangatuba show up.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
Adam,
Send them to me! I always dreamed of being the subject of a scientific experiment and pitangatuba qualifies as such!
I will send you a message with my snail mail.  When is your next visit?  Thank you!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »
Haha!

Snail mail? ya right! UPS ground is overnight...I got u covered.  The Miracle fruit berries will be at your home by this Friday at the latest.

Email me your address please!

and let me know how they taste, and report here...that's all I ask.

Take care buddy! :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
Adam,
Thank you!
What if I get "hooked" on pitangatubas with miracle fruit?  Hum...Ok .... I will take a chance!
Ready to go! I have to have at least one habit! Gave up smoking 30 years ago...drinking? very light, maybe a couple beers or a couple glasses of wine a week.  Pitangatubas with miracle fruit?????....every half an hour.....hahahahahahahahahahah

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 02:00:42 AM »
If u get hooked, I'll have to send u a plant next :)

Nothing wrong with being a fruitaholic.

Adam,
Thank you!
What if I get "hooked" on pitangatubas with miracle fruit?  Hum...Ok .... I will take a chance!
Ready to go! I have to have at least one habit! Gave up smoking 30 years ago...drinking? very light, maybe a couple beers or a couple glasses of wine a week.  Pitangatubas with miracle fruit?????....every half an hour.....hahahahahahahahahahah
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

So if i'm a fruitaholic i don't need to be anonymous?  ;)
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
Hell No!

Then how would I get the skinny on all these amazing fruits u have all the way over there in HI??

Don't become a fermented jackfruit drunken hermit!

So if i'm a fruitaholic i don't need to be anonymous?  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:45 AM »
I've eaten those fermented jabos from the tree that really do taste like wine.
Oscar