Author Topic: Atemoya pruning advice  (Read 1809 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Atemoya pruning advice
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »
Should I prune it or just let it go like this?  I really dont care if it gets really large.  It set fruit on its own (no need to reach flowers) and I have a fruit picker pole.  What do you think?  Im thinking just get it up off the ground more than mess with the top. 

Brad Spaugh

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya pruning advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
I would clean the bottom branches first, fruits will be laying on the ground. Looking at your tree tells me you got good soil, so you can prune the top also. I would suggest about in half.

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
I try to keep it as a backyard grower for easy harvest  and maintain.  Also keep strong branches.
Here are my tree this year growth over wall and just pruned it over a month ago.

Before grow over wall

After

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
Tony, it looks like cherimoya.  My cherimoyas I am pruning to keep low for pollination.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:47:58 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
Brad
I would wait until March to prune but I would prune hard then to about 5’ this will induces tons of flowers and make it easy to pollinate.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
I would sort out how many branches you got that are within 1 feet of trunk length, clear out all branches that are lower than 12-18 inches, have first spread above ground 12-18 inches max with 3 to 4 equally spaced branches all around, then those branches cut them at 12" - 18" length and expose leaf nodes at the ends no more than 3 nodes. you will start to get a nice low canopy. Most my cherimoya form and produce fruit under 6 feet, rest is all junk growth.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
I would sort out how many branches you got that are within 1 feet of trunk length, clear out all branches that are lower than 12-18 inches, have first spread above ground 12-18 inches max with 3 to 4 equally spaced branches all around, then those branches cut them at 12" - 18" length and expose leaf nodes at the ends no more than 3 nodes. you will start to get a nice low canopy. Most my cherimoya form and produce fruit under 6 feet, rest is all junk growth.

Nice description behl.  Its holding half a dozen fruit so I will clear the low growth now and then thin down to 4 main branches next spring.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk