Author Topic: Container Cherimoya pruning question  (Read 1212 times)

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
Container Cherimoya pruning question
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:37:28 PM »
This container grown Cherimoya is about 4yrs old. Its grafted with several Dr. White scion.

I plan to keep it in a container indefinitely as I cannot grow it outside in my climate. It stays in my garage for about 5 months out of the year.

My question is concerning pruning the 3 branches indicated. Last year when I pruned it, it did not branch out as expected. It just halted growth. In late winter when I pruned it, it put out shoots just below the cut without difficulty.

Is this how Cherimoya's respond to pruning this time of the year? Should I prune about a foot now and then prune again shorter in late winter?(Currently it stands about 6ft tall from the bottom of the container)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Container Cherimoya pruning question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:59:51 PM »
I like to prune multiple times a year. The benefit is that you will get multiple blooms, and therefore the potential for multiple crops. Each time I prune, I leave several new leaves, but trim all but the petiole. The tree will push new growths from the bud when the petiole drops.

Each bud site has the potential for producing 1-6 flowers, and if the flowers open at different times, then you have multiple pollination opportunities.

If when you bring the plant inside it can still get enough light to produce sugars, you may get a good tasting late crop, if not, you should focus on the early crop.

Doing this you can lengthen your season, though in the case of a containerized tree, you can keep size in check. I suspect a tree in a small bag probably wouldn't be allowed to hold a large crop.

Cherimoya is a plant that responds favorably to intensive management, it likes to throw large vertical "water sprouts" that are best removed to keep the canopy in reach for pollination and harvest. It also likes to push out suckers from every bud site available.

Keep attacking it until it maintains your ideal canopy shape.

I'm finding ideal crotch angles at around 60 degrees for major limbs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:16:16 AM by Oolie »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:38:26 AM »
I like Har’s method as shown by black lines.

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:48:18 AM »
Thank you both for the good advice!

How would you prune and train the lateral branches that are growing parallel to the ground given that I will keep this in a container for good?

I do not intend to get more than a couple of fruit from the tree.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »
Put a stake where you want to bend the branch then tie it vertical to stake.
Tie it loosely.
Tighten the bend over a few days.