Author Topic: Avoiding 'June Drop'  (Read 1619 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Avoiding 'June Drop'
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »
My container citrus trees are in very low maintenance mode right now - there is osmocote plus in all containers and they get a mix of rainwater and long sprinkler watering.  Aside from occasionally killing ant infestations I don't really have to touch them.   I remember hearing about June Drop from the other forum as something that was an avoidable problem this time of year.  Is it just a matter of keeping the trees from drying out?  Anything in particular to watch out for?  My oranges have already set fruit, the kumquats are blooming, and the lemons/limes are ... both. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding 'June Drop'
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
Brain,the so called June Drop, or excessive shedding of the young fruits, is mainly caused by extremely hot and dry weather, Therefore container trees are commonly not involved with June Drop if kept from overheating.  However, for in ground trees June Drip occurs commonly following worm dry periods.  In the desert and semi-desert sections of California and Arizona this drop can be so heavy, especially with navel orange varieties, that the yield is commonly greatly reduced, sometimes so much so that production is rendered unprofitable.  Other orange varieties and grapefruits are also affected, but no so seriously.  June Drop is largely caused by the severe strain on the tree resulting from low humidity, hot dry weather, which leads to excessive transpiration and loss of water. As a result of this condition fruit abscission is stimulated. - Millet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:29:28 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding 'June Drop'
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
Thanks, I guess it isn't likely to affect me in my situation.   It gets hot in PA but not southern-desert hot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk