Author Topic: Seeking Sapodilla scion exchange  (Read 15489 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Sapodilla scion exchange
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 11:12:30 AM »
Any idea how long scions will be good for? The online pages I read mostly say to graft right away.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 05:01:15 PM »
Bon, sorry, I don't have the necessary permit to export scion overseas.

Sam

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 11:22:40 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to update the progress of my Makok and Alano scions:

Grafted with the "leading tip": Alano up front, Makok in the rear:

This is the other Alano scion; grafted without the "leading tip";

So, looks like the grafts are doing good I would say, so far. Wondering how is yours doing Robert, and Fang? Hope yours are making progress too, guys!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:24:49 PM by Samu »
Sam

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »
My scions are still green but no bud pushing through yet.  I am glad your scions took.
Robert

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »
Sam, good to see yours made it. The thicker Alamo was the tip from the main trunk. It got too tall and my parents took it off and tossed it in the trash the day before. I found it and hoped it might still be fresh enough. I think I cut off a little at the bottom before mailing that.

I think my hasya failed but one makok might make it. It's still green.
I have a large tree and did veneer grafts. My mistake with the hasya was using a plastic bag rather than parafilm to lock in moisture.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »
Well Fang, somebody's trash could be somebody's treasure... ;D

"Plastic bag", huh? Like those farmers in India?  ;D
Probably no problem in India due to it's high humidity...just guessing!
Anyway, let me know if you want another Hasya...

Someone told me if it's still green, it's still alive...so, there's still hope Robert.

Sam

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »
I curious how you both are dealing with the latex that the sapodilla produces when you cut the scions and also when you do the graft.  Do you wipe off the latex, or just do the graft with the latex oozing out?  Seems like that'd make it hard to do.

(I plan to take several scions from my Alano tree and graft them sometime in the next few weeks, which is why I'm curious.  Also, if anyone in the bay area is looking for Alano or Silas Wood scions, I could provide a couple.)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
To avoid latex, I read that you just have to do the grafting fast. I also nicked the rootstock an inch below the graft to try to relieve the pressure. That didn't seem to do anything, not much latex at all. Maybe my tree's tall enough that the latex has trouble pushing that high?

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:01 PM »
I actually grafted onto the branches that I took the scions from. I didn't get much latex coming out but my guess is it had already oozed out from the cut the day before.

Robert

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »
Hello everyone, first post.  I just recently purchase a Sapodilla, and need some scion woods.  I don't have much to trade, But I can buy for the woods and shipping.  Btw, should I attempt to graft them in this season or wait til spring?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 01:48:48 AM »
I would wait until late spring.
Unfortunately, my grafts didn't take this year. I have Alano I can take scions from when you're ready.
Do you have a variety or unknown?

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
I have the Hasya variety.  I been thinking about getting into the tropical plants for a long time.  I finally pull the trigger but I guess picked the wrong season to do it.  I been larking around here for a few years, actually.

I only have three small branches so I am not sure, I can exchange any scion woods.  Maybe the ones that I have to cut to make the graft can be use as scion woods.

I will see you guys around late spring.  Cheers.

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 04:01:49 PM »
Okay fellas, I am ready for sapodilla scion woods.  I can pay for the shipping and scion woods, let me know.  Also I will be making a trip this Saturday or 2 more weeks from now up to the LA areas so I also pick up the scion woods, then, too. 

My Hasya Sapodilla is not doing so well, my wife put some compost we got from the recycler yard around the plant and it is browning/withering away.  I am, however, not sure if that is the cause for the plant demise or not.  The plant was doing so well up to that point. 

My mom do however have a unknown sapodilla that I can trade some scion woods.  The fruits, a grand total of three, are medium size and round shape, not much oval.  I will take a picture and post it this weekend. 

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »
Okay fellas, I am ready for sapodilla scion woods.  I can pay for the shipping and scion woods, let me know.  Also I will be making a trip this Saturday or 2 more weeks from now up to the LA areas so I also pick up the scion woods, then, too. 

My Hasya Sapodilla is not doing so well, my wife put some compost we got from the recycler yard around the plant and it is browning/withering away.  I am, however, not sure if that is the cause for the plant demise or not.  The plant was doing so well up to that point. 

My mom do however have a unknown sapodilla that I can trade some scion woods.  The fruits, a grand total of three, are medium size and round shape, not much oval.  I will take a picture and post it this weekend.

I've had very bad luck with industrial compost -- several years ago I tried using it frequently and killed lots of plants.  There's something about it, even when used in small amounts, that can hurt plants.  I wonder if its trace broadleaf herbicides from lawns that don't break down.

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »
If somebody knows where to find this one in europe, portugal, then let me know

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »
Hi! You only want a scion or want to buy a tree?

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

I've had very bad luck with industrial compost -- several years ago I tried using it frequently and killed lots of plants.  There's something about it, even when used in small amounts, that can hurt plants.  I wonder if its trace broadleaf herbicides from lawns that don't break down.

The lychee and longan love it, though.  They doing some well with a thick layer of those compost.  Banana and Sapodilla not so much.

*edited for bad quoting display

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »

Hi Luis, I would prefer to buy a tree but Im up for anything, seeds, cuttnings,,

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

Hi Luis, I would prefer to buy a tree but Im up for anything, seeds, cuttnings,,
Hi! You have a source in Portugal for this one and several others: http://www.vcastromil.pt/catalogos/fruteiras.pdf   ;)

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »
Unfortunately I was to late and the I have to wait until December for next season, but normally they sell tropicals in the summer, how come?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »
Unfortunately I was to late and the I have to wait until December for next season, but normally they sell tropicals in the summer, how come?
Really, they don't have??? Usually they have on May...

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 12:18:16 AM »
Hi Guys...!
It has been a year since the last post on this topic.
But the heading is still valid, and am still seeking some Sapodilla scions...

By the way, my tree still have a lively Alano (from Fang-fyliu) and Makok (from Robert-rliou) scions on it by way of exchanges in 2015; the other 2 or 3 varieties I added didn't take for some reason...So far, it only has a single Hasya fruit, is still being formed at the moment...

(Fang/Robert, let me know if you need another replacement scions, I'll be glad to resend them to you...)

So, if any of you are interested in my Hasya scions, lets swap with other variety that I don't already have, like Tikal, Ox etc...; send me a PM with your mailing address (USA only).
Thanks for reading, happy growing!

Here's the first one and only Hasya fruit of my tree as of April 2 2017:

Sam

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 01:57:44 AM »
What's the trick to grafting it? I'm growing a couple of seedlings to try grafting my Alano before I ask any more scions from you guys. Seedling does seem to grow pretty well in pots. No problem with roots outgrowing the pot yet.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 03:37:45 AM »
I didn't have any special trick, just a standard cleft graft like I normally do on annonas, mangos and citruses. As someone mentioned, yes the latex oozed out but didn't bother me at all, as I recall, I  wiped it off with paper towel before  wrapping it...

My "problem" with this tree -in my case-is the difficulty for it to set fruit; as I mentioned on other post, that ants are hardly to be found in my yard (next door neighbor over the wooden fence sprays their yard monthly); one member mentioned that ants has a big role in pollinating sapodillas...
I don't grow seedling since I try not to plant another sapodilla tree due to my limited yard space...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:07:41 AM by Samu »
Sam

alan

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »
I have Alano and Molix, right next to each other in large 30 gallon containers, and each with a few fruit growing on them.  I used to have ants on the trees, but I have used Tanglefoot.