Author Topic: Suggestions for two fruit trees  (Read 2356 times)

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
Suggestions for two fruit trees
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »
Hello Fellas,

I have two spots came up for two fruit trees In the Mira Mesa, San Diego area.  Previously I had a Caimito and Reed Avocado that died in those two spots.  The Caimito was doing so well for ¾ of year but this winter slowly wither it down and dried up last month.  The Reed was planted too deep, water rot and the high heat wave got it.   I need to put something else in that isn’t an Avocado or Caimito.  I am done with those two.  I currently have 3 Cherimoyas, 1 Lychees, 1 Longan, 1 starfruit, 1 Sapodilla, 1 Mango, and 1 Wax Jambu.  All those are doing very well.  I am currently and planning to multi graft all my trees.  I already have orange/grapefruit, white sapote, avaocado, jujube, persimmon, grapes, passion fruits, guavas in my parent’s place.  I am thinking some plants that are tropical and subtropical, but also need to consider that they will do okay in my area (10b).  What are you guys suggestions?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for two fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 03:43:01 PM »
I vote for a low chill bare root peach tree in January and following year graft all the fancy zaiger stuff on it.
Brad Spaugh

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
Brad, I already have a peach tree that is waiting to be grafted next year, going to hit you up for the Zaiger woods if you got them next January.

Being in the 10B zone, I feel like I should try to utilize that zone for plants is better suited to that zone.  However, my suspicion and I may be right is that I mostly have all the plants that should be right for a 10b zone.  I should mention that I also banana and Jabo.  Anyones else have any other thought please chime in.  I was thinking I could just get another mango tree, two, haha, but I want to hold out if there is a more diverse choices.

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
Some of the Garcinias are worth considering

DurbanDude

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:27:01 AM »
papaya, jackfruit, garcinia, pitangatuba, surinam cherry

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
I have a 10-12 feet papaya tree, it's a beautiful tree with spread out leaves.  For fun, I am considering multi-graft the Papaya as I keep having to cut off the offshoots.  I tried Jackfruit from seeds, but both the ones in pots, and one in ground died last winter.  They will need more protection at my spot until they are older.  Jackfruit is one that I am seriously considering as I know one local grower who have a fruiting tree, but this tree is right next to his house to help with the wintering.  My only concern is that it is will cause me problems 5 to 10 years down the road.

Does anyone locally, I can go LA to San Diego, have sources for garcinia, pitangatuba, surinam cherry?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »
I would seriously consider a grafted (1) high quality productive variety of Jackfruit that’s suitable for your Zone 10b, and (2) a quality Spanish-Lime variety, if suitable for location.

P.S. Lula avocado: I highly recommend it. It’s probably my favorite all around avocado fruit and tree. Also, my new favorite: Beverly mango. And, last but not least: a large sized, productive variety of the ‘hard’ type of Guava that is highly resistant to burrowing worms.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:04:25 AM »
I vote for a fig tree.  Californians often chase exotics that don't do well in adverse weather conditions, but premier variety fresh fig still remains one of the finest fruits in the world. SoCal has a perfect climate for them. Very productive and won't fold in a heat or cold wave.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 02:09:56 AM »
Pomegranates would definitely grow well there

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
I agree with the last two suggestions.  Fig and pomegranate sound ideal--perfect trees for the California Mediterranean climate.
John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
P.S. Lula avocado: I highly recommend it. It’s probably my favorite all around avocado fruit and tree.
For South Florida, Lula is a good avocado, but California grows much better varieties.   Even Fuerte, an old California variety, is vastly superior.
John

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
LEOOEL, I am seriously considering that option for one of spots.  The problem in California is the sourcing of the plants: availability and extortion price.  I try the seeds route and they grew well for close to a year but I wasn’t careful during the wintering months and they didn’t make it.  I am thinking of heating lights for the wintering months for my mango tree so I can do the same for the same Jackfruit’s.  Also, too, Jackfruit can get pretty big which scare me a bit. 

Arvind and John, I admit to being guilty of not naming all fruits tree in my collection.  I have fruit trees spread out in three houses (family houses, I am not rich, lol) in three different locations. The colder locations are getting the subtropical trees like Pomegranates, and fig.  What I am looking for specifically are fruit trees that can be planted for my zone of 10b, and if need be, with some extra protection in winter. 

I appreciate all suggestions thus far.  So far it look like a big graft jackfruit and one more mango trees for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk