Author Topic: coconut sprouted  (Read 1077 times)

Pbala_Coco

• usa, tx, Adkins, 8b
    • View Profile
coconut sprouted
« on: May 12, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
I had put away some coconuts in a plastic container, to plant when I move to a home in the next few months, but one of them has sprouted. what type of pot should I use to replant? should I use native mulch and add a lot of water? distilled water?  should I use slow release fertiliser at this time?
I am terrified that I will kill it. I live in a apartment and do not have any conducive place to get a lot of sun.

I am hoping one of you can spare a few mins to advice.

v/r
Pb

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: coconut sprouted
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
I dont think it needs distilled water since these grow near seawater wich its a lot more concentrated in minerals than tap water.
I dont grow these thogh so i might be wrong.
I see young coconut trees in supermarket and they are in verry small pots just 2 times the volume of the coconut.
For sure,such small pots are not ideal no matter they can grow in them for a short time while feeding from the seed .

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »
Coconuts need well draining soil preferably sandy soil. I have tried growing them with minimal success due to my greenhouse temperatures.

Pbala_Coco

• usa, tx, Adkins, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:58:38 PM »
good evening,
thank you for responding. I was wondering if you could explain how you put up the green house
and what do you think went wrong?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk