Author Topic: Yard update May 2012  (Read 4562 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Yard update May 2012
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
Dear friends,

since I made too many pictures to upload the here, you can see them here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/100361925414382384869/albums/5747299379624345505

I think I focussed two much in the young and new plants, so I forgot to take pictures of others  :-\

I hope you enjoy  :)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Yard update May 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
Hey Felipe,

Your tropical fruit orchard looks fantastic...I really enjoyed seeing all them pics 8) 8) 8)

What happened to the Patin?  Hope the young tree didn't die.

Thank you for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
Great shots......thanks Felipe.  Now get working on the larger tree update!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
Thanks guys!

Harry, unfortunatelly I left CI again, meaning that it will take a few month for another update   :-\

Steven, mamey does sometimes die back on our islands, nobody knows the reason. In this case, this damn Pantin didn't barely grow in two years in ground, and finally the graft did dry out..  >:( This plant will be replaced  ;)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
Felipe,

Beautiful pictures, the 'Gomera' Mango looks nice and healthy (looks like it should produce a nice crop of mangoes). Also love all the Opuntia :), are all the Opuntia locally selected ones? (I see the difference between the plants, just did not see unique IDs for them).

I just found another Opuntia sp. which had huge +4oz fruits (about the mass of a medium apple). I recently found it overhanging pads into the sidewalk, recently got a pad of it :).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:42:06 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
Thanks guys!

Harry, unfortunatelly I left CI again, meaning that it will take a few month for another update   :-\

Steven, mamey does sometimes die back on our islands, nobody knows the reason. In this case, this damn Pantin didn't barely grow in two years in ground, and finally the graft did dry out..  >:( This plant will be replaced  ;)

Sorry to hear about that :( Hope you get a replacement A.S.A.P :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »
Thanks Nullzy  ;) The opuntias were just collectes locally and a few were presents, I think one from Israel, others from Mexico.

I know if you give opuntias fertlizer and water, they produce bigger fruits. Could this be the case with the one you found?! In any case, if the fruit quality is good, I would be interested :)

Steven, next time I'm on the Islands I will do it, and also add Magana and Viejo  :D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
Thanks Nullzy  ;) The opuntias were just collectes locally and a few were presents, I think one from Israel, others from Mexico.

I know if you give opuntias fertlizer and water, they produce bigger fruits. Could this be the case with the one you found?! In any case, if the fruit quality is good, I would be interested :)

Steven, next time I'm on the Islands I will do it, and also add Magana and Viejo  :D

Hi Felipe,

That's awesome...hopefully these two cv. will do much better than the Patin. Good Luck ;)
Time is like a river.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
Felipe, thanks for sharing, beautiful pictures.
Adiel

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »
Steven, Pantin does perform pretty good, but then it suddenly suffers from dieback, nobody knows exactly why. The hypothesis is that the high production causes severe stress, leading to the loss of branches, or even the whole plant. But this would not be my case, because mine never fruited. Maybe mine had some desease or fungus issue.. Take a look at the pictures of Pantin trees:

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
Steven, Pantin does perform pretty good, but then it suddenly suffers from dieback, nobody knows exactly why. The hypothesis is that the high production causes severe stress, leading to the loss of branches, or even the whole plant. But this would not be my case, because mine never fruited. Maybe mine had some desease or fungus issue.. Take a look at the pictures of Pantin trees:

Hi Felipe,

The Patin mamey trees are so gorgeous and very productive  8) I think the high productivity of this plants will cause stress as you said...even death YIKES :o Fruit pruning could help solve this issue.

Thanks for the pics :) they are awesome as always :)

Time is like a river.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »
Felipe - the Gomera Mango looks LOADED...are the smallish fruits or are they still maturing
and will get bigger?

Thanks for all the PICTURES....

Fang

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »
Wow very nice, I can just imagine that place in 10 years, it will look like the Amazon forest.  beautiful.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »

Why do all the trees look girdled on the lower part of the trunk ?
- Rob

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »
Fang, they still grow, but doesn't get too big. I'm not keeping this tree for the fruit, which is average, but for the look of this majestic tree :)

Thanks Tropic, that is my plan, to have a little fruit forest ;)

Rob, the dark mark at the bottom of the stem is a glue against ants and rats. But they are using it no more, because they suspect phyto-toxity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk