Author Topic: Why is my thornless key lime so sad?  (Read 918 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Why is my thornless key lime so sad?
« on: October 21, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
I posted this on the citrus forum, but it seems to be infected with some sort of spam, so I am posting it here also, to see if anyone can help.

I cannot figure out what this guy needs. It has looked this way since I got it last summer.  Soil is not overly dry or sopping wet. I have checked the roots, they are fine. It gets the same treatment as all my other greenhouse citrus that are blooming now.  It is not dropping leaves, but has never put on a new leaf, and these leaves wont perk up. The leaves feel normal, noat wilted or dried out. It gets Osmocote, MiracelGro and foliar citrus nitritional spray just like all the others.
I am stumped...

Thanks, Carolyn

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my thornless key lime so sad?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 05:00:47 PM »
Is it planted to deep?
Looks like it might have some magnesium deficiency.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »
How old are those leaves?  When's the last time it had new leaves, and did those new leaves look healthy?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
My citrus loves miracle grow. I don't have experience with citrus in pots.
I can't see what size pot it is in? Maybe a bigger pot could get it flushing new leaves?
The only other thing would be to prune a foot or more and try to get it to bush more.
Citrus produce fruit on new growth and if it doesn't flush new growth you won't get
fruit.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 01:01:41 AM »
The leaves are a year old, no new leaves at all in that time, and my othe citrus have flushed once or twice. No leaf drop, nothinge new. Just sits there like a plastic plant. It is in a 12" pot and the roots are not to the edges of the pot. I did dump it out to check the soil and roots, and the soil is fluffy and moist but not overly wet.  The citrus nutritional spray has magnesium in it, so it should be getting enough.  Doesn't seem to be planted too deep, I can see the collar on the trunk.
Hmmm, maybe I should sing to it. That's about the only thing I haven't tried.  I might try sitting it right under a light?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
Try something like Citrus Nutritional spray from Southern Ag. You can get it at most Home Depot’s.

Simon