Author Topic: Wax Jambu anyone?  (Read 11407 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Wax Jambu anyone?
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
I have been doing a research since I want to start a Wax Jambu (apple) collection, one of the things that caught my attention is that is not very popular in this forum, the few comments just talk about how bland and flavorless they are, however I have read there are some cultivars with decent sweet flavor brix12-15
Beautiful colors and starting bearing fast grafted, why is it this fruit is not popular in the forum?
(not talking about Malay Apple)
El verde es vida!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Wax Jambu anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »
I love mine! It was advertised as a "Black Pearl", but all the fruits I've gotten are white/green/pink, Lol! Wax jambus are never gonna be as sweet as mangos, but the flavor is still excellent. My tree only produces in alternate years, I've no idea why or if I can do anything to make it produce annually.  There are tons of flower buds on my tree at this time, whereas last year I was praying for some.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
I love mine! It was advertised as a "Black Pearl", but all the fruits I've gotten are white/green/pink, Lol! Wax jambus are never gonna be as sweet as mangos, but the flavor is still excellent. My tree only produces in alternate years, I've no idea why or if I can do anything to make it produce annually.  There are tons of flower buds on my tree at this time, whereas last year I was praying for some.
Hoo well, at least you like it, and should be a nice color combination instead of the hole red Black Pearl, when is yours fruiting season?
El verde es vida!

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
I like them. I've only tried green ones, and they're very pleasant and refreshing. I went on a tour once at Echo Farms, and the guide came to the Wax Jambu tree and described it as a good fruit to eat if you are starving and just need something to put in your stomach. He said this in a serious tone.  Maybe different varieties taste different or maybe it is just a divisive fruit?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
Raul,

Its a great fruit it just tends to blend in with the rest of the other good fruits. It does not have any unique distinctive traits.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »
I love this fruit but my husband like many forum members find it to be a boring fruit. I think it’s totaly under appreciated for its delicate flavor. It’s mild and delicate in taste but has a great crisp texture, nice juiciness and sweetness that is very refreshing and enjoyable especially when chilled. I know they were popular in Taiwan at one point. Black pearl was a biggy there. I use to eat about 10 per sitting multiply times a day when in Taiwan.  I have a red variety from Frankies Nursery but forgot the name. I Just attempted to graft a green variety to it from a Thai neighbor. Still waiting to see if grafts will take.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Wax jambus are quite refreshing on a hot day, due to their water content.  As mentioned before, they're not that sweet.  I have the Black Diamond cultivar from Champa

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »

The fruits on mine is pinkish, about a bushy 9ft tall now, but no flowers showed up so far this year, just vegetative growth, so like Newgen said, mine could be an alternate bearing one?? Otherwise, it's a fast grower, easy maintenance with fresh, crunchy fruits to booth!
Sam

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »
they are excellent on a hot day. crisp and refreshing. my wife loves the taste.

in 9b i grow them in containers but must keep them
indoor or heated when temps dip below 40

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:02 AM »
Chomphu gets more sweet every year, they are very nice now. Tasteless ones is many years ago for Thailand.

Now we also have nice sweet mamiew, malay apple.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 06:35:22 AM »
I loved this fruit in Thailand!!!
I can't wait for my tree to produce but it hasn't even flowered yet:(
I find them.quite hardy my bananas were frosted bad but wax jambu didn't even feel a thing last year:)

How big do they need to be to fruit?

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
I recently bought a pair of missile wax jambu.
Hoping they do well in Florida

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
The newer cultivars can be really good. I have a green one sold to me as "Green Bell" that is sweet and sour and tastes quite a bit like green apple. Another, "Apel Hijao", is smaller and red and honestly tastes like red apple. It's probably my favorite that I've tried. I also have one Ong calls "red-green" which tastes like honey but is milder than the other two. And I've tried plenty of bland ones too.

Ong says they are heavy feeders and can produce for months if you constantly fertilize them. They also like lots of water and sun.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »
The newer cultivars can be really good. I have a green one sold to me as "Green Bell" that is sweet and sour and tastes quite a bit like green apple. Another, "Apel Hijao", is smaller and red and honestly tastes like red apple. It's probably my favorite that I've tried. I also have one Ong calls "red-green" which tastes like honey but is milder than the other two. And I've tried plenty of bland ones too.

Ong says they are heavy feeders and can produce for months if you constantly fertilize them. They also like lots of water and sun.

Yes the new ones can be nice sweet and very refreshing. You don't need very big tree for fruit but it likes water sun fertilizer.

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »

I recently bought 4 wax apple trees and plan on keeping them in pots for the next couple years. Mine is about 6-7 feet tall. You worry me when you say it needs to be indoor or heated when it's below 40. Could you elaborate on this ? I live in bradenton and it's a 9b/10a zone and last year it dipped below 40 a few times.

PrincessTigerLily

• US, San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 06:19:48 PM »

What's the name of the nursery you bought your missile wax Jambi from? Do you know if they ship to California?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
This California nursery seems to have several of the above named varieties.
Not sure of their reputation.
http://tropicalbonsainursery.net/on%20sale%20item/wax-apple/wax-apple.html

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
if you got enough fruit you can make apple pie with it (can't do it with mountain/malay apple).

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 02:09:09 AM »

What's the name of the nursery you bought your missile wax Jambi from? Do you know if they ship to California?

Ong nursery in Linda Vista has about 40 varieties, most of them are airlayers from Florida, many from Maurice Kong.

PrincessTigerLily

• US, San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
Thank you!

Ong nursery in Linda Vista has about 40 varieties, most of them are airlayers from Florida, many from Maurice Kong.

I will check them out.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
I have a rose apple, and now I want a wax jambu, too!

Carolyn

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
Ben Poirier grafts his wax jambus onto rose apple rootstock...

http://encantofarms.com/poirier.html
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 02:04:44 AM »

I recently bought 4 wax apple trees and plan on keeping them in pots for the next couple years. Mine is about 6-7 feet tall. You worry me when you say it needs to be indoor or heated when it's below 40. Could you elaborate on this ? I live in bradenton and it's a 9b/10a zone and last year it dipped below 40 a few times.

they r not very cold tolerant. a friend w in ground jambus in zone 8b had all of them die this winter. this winter i kept 2 indoors and 1 in the greenhouse (heated when temps go below 35). they all survived, but the outdoor one lost a lot of leaves as temps dropped below 40. one indoor jambu lost leaves because i watered it too much (only going to water once a week this winter) - was lucky i didn’t kill it

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
Winter in my area usually gets down to the 30s. One year it was colder than normal, and my tree lost most of the leaves. Most other years, the leaves stay on. The tree is not protected from the cold.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
the santa ana winds below most of the leaves off for me. that's alot of flowers! no flowers i guess this year since it's putting it's energy back into growing new leaves.