Author Topic: 1st year attempt at annona breeding.  (Read 1195 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
1st year attempt at annona breeding.
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
Basically just posting pics for any advice and to reference:

Here is a reticulata x sugar apple from seeds a friend gave me, next to a reticulata seedling.

Here is a seedling sugar apple off my Na Dai tree.

Here is a seedling hybrid off my Na Dai tree I crossed with reticulata pollen or Lisa atemoya pollen. I had labeled the different flowers based on which pollen was used BUT some very windy days blew the colored coded markers off the tree 🤷‍♂️ I am leaning toward it being SA x Reticulata though. One thing I did notice when planting the seeds were that they were longer and thin like reticulata seeds (whether that holds true is my guess).

-Joep450

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 1st year attempt at annona breeding.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »
Congratulations on the seedlings. I feel there is great potential in Annona breeding and us backyard breeders could get lucky with some tasty finds like Leo Manuel did. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:18:31 AM »
Yes, I agree with Simon, you're doing a service to everyone by just trying to cross varieties and see what "sticks". Great job Joe. I think the potential is there and we should do our best to help it along.
-Chris

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:51:54 AM »
Annonas are perfect for amateur breeding efforts.

Hopefully, some great fruit come out of your project.

When my trees get big enough i'll join in the fun too

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »
Congratulations on the successful crossing! I've been trying to cross Annona with Asimina for about two years now, which I don't think has been done yet. Of more than 40 flowers of a cherimoya pollinated with Asimina pollen, only two were able to develop permanently. In many cases the young ovary remained for several weeks, in one case even several months before it died. Now I have two young fruits that are developing and will not fall off. One of them has deformations, which indicates difficulties in pollination and yet some successful seed closure. At time of flowering of this flower there has been no other open cherimoya flower in the surrounding. Have a look at these two pictures of this impressive deformed fruit...

I estimate that the fruit will be ripe in March 2020.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela