Author Topic: Good source for black surinam in So Cal  (Read 2312 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Good source for black surinam in So Cal
« on: May 09, 2018, 02:12:20 AM »
So one of my favorite pass times is to load up my family and take a day trip to a new nursery. This has lead me to many different locations in San Diego, Vista, Orange county, Riverside, and LA. In my travels there have been a few plants that I have had a hard time finding and I would love the help of this forum to locate what I'm looking for. I really want to find some of the different Black surinam cherry variety's (Black Star, Lolita, Zill) or any different Grumichama. As a fare warning I was able to find a 15 gallon Zill Black surinam at Exotica but they wanted 200 dollars for it and I'm not prepared to pay such a huge price for a berry bush. I am also trying to do my best to avoid shipping plants from florida directly because I have had trouble with plants adapting or just being of pour quality.

On a separate note I have had a tough time tracking down some good ground cover like perennial peanut, comfery, mimosa or any other hardy nitrogen fixer. What are some of you guys using and where are you getting it? 
Erik

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Good source for black surinam in So Cal
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:10 AM »
I got my Zill Dark after I tried the fruit and pocketed the seed. Same way he got it from Zill originally
 My seedling has made a lot of fruit for me.

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
papaya tree nursery has lolita and grafted cherry of rio grande but there expensive

got comfrey online as root cuttings

for nitrogen fixing im using named varites of goumi ,autoum olive got online (one green world,rolling rivers nursery) also some acacias from evergreen nursery

honey locust and native alder also work great

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »
papaya tree nursery has lolita and grafted cherry of rio grande but there expensive

got comfrey online as root cuttings

for nitrogen fixing im using named varites of goumi ,autoum olive got online (one green world,rolling rivers nursery) also some acacias from evergreen nursery

Why are these berry bushes more expensive them some of the new Zill mangos I really don't get it? Thanks for the source with Papaya tree Nursery I have been there in the past and liked what I saw but I do remember the prices where steep.

honey locust and native alder also work great
Erik

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:06:06 AM »
So I stopped by California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery this last Saturday (which is the only day of the week they are open to the public without an appointment). I had high hopes of buying some of the black surinam cherry cultivars I have been looking for like, Lolita and Champa. They had 15 gallon size for sale for 185 dollars  :o. Is this really the price that these plants are being sold for? Anyways I passed on purchasing one in hopes I can find a better deal some where else.

For those of you that have grown black surinam from seed do you find a big or noticeable difference with the taste from the named parents? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Erik

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 02:36:54 AM »
I have some dark surinam cherry cultivars (Black Star, Lolita), and a funny seedless one selected by a CRFG member in Davis, and will be moving to SoCal soon.  If you have a seedling to graft onto I could give you some scions.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 01:49:19 PM »
Plants from California nurseries are expensive due to land and water. Both are cheaper in Florida.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 02:07:34 AM »
+1 for ^ CGP. It's expensive as H*** to live in California and that applies to gas, food, trees, etc. Almost nothing is immune. I would have paid the $185 and grown my own seedlings from that tree- you could always resale the tree if you didn't find it to be that great. My 2 cents. Good luck! Chris
-Chris

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
Growing from seed is much cheaper and can help you gain appreciation for why a tree costs $200. After growing a berry bush for 8 years , how much would you sell it for once it started fruiting ? Comparitively Mango grows relatively fast.

So I stopped by California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery this last Saturday (which is the only day of the week they are open to the public without an appointment). I had high hopes of buying some of the black surinam cherry cultivars I have been looking for like, Lolita and Champa. They had 15 gallon size for sale for 185 dollars  :o. Is this really the price that these plants are being sold for? Anyways I passed on purchasing one in hopes I can find a better deal some where else.

For those of you that have grown black surinam from seed do you find a big or noticeable difference with the taste from the named parents? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
Surinam Cherry doesn't grow true from seed. I had a Zill Dark seedling that made red fruit. The only way to get a Zill Dark plant is to buy a grafted one.
-Josh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
Or graft a great variety to your seedling or named variety! 8)