Author Topic: Karp's Sweet Quince, and other Quince for eating raw  (Read 13289 times)

Nicole

• California
    • View Profile
Re: Karp's Sweet Quince, and other Quince for eating raw
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:46 PM »
Interesting info,SoCal2warm, thanks for sharing. Will hope for best )) I actually wanted to graft on this tree Kaunching and Smyrna to have few varieties on one tree. Do you know anything about how Kaunching or Smyrna are doing in  SoCal climate? I also would like to see a photo of actual Kaunching's fruit to know more about a shape.  Not to many actual pictures of it in internet. I would really appreciate if someone would show it. As far as I know Kaunching is another variety that  is good to eat raw.

SoCal2warm, I wanted to thank you for all of your photos with images of flowers, leaves and fruits. It is what I always like to see, especially when trying to pick a variety.

Interesting observation... I looked for the variety Kuganskaya, on Russian web sources, wanted to find more info or photos. I never find it..)) there is not such a variety under this name in Russia. They have Kubanskaya. I guess someone made a mistake and misspelled it from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:08:02 PM by Nicole »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
I actually wanted to graft on this tree Kaunching and Smyrna to have few varieties on one tree. Do you know anything about how Kaunching or Smyrna are doing in  SoCal climate?
I'm pretty sure Karp's Sweet is probably a better variety than Kaunching or Smyrna (not that those two are bad varieties).
 Also I believe that Karp's Sweet probably has a lower chill requirement than other quince varieties (though I'm not certain about this), so other varieties would probably do worse in your climate. Considering where you live, I would not bother trying to graft on any other quince varieties.

In a warm climate with plenty of heat, Karp's Sweet is probably going to be the best you will get, I would think.

I also would like to see a photo of actual Kaunching's fruit to know more about a shape.  Not to many actual pictures of it in internet. I would really appreciate if someone would show it. As far as I know Kaunching is another variety that  is good to eat raw.
This is just from my memory, but from the research I did in the past it seemed like Kaunching was one of the good more edible varieties, but probably wasn't quite as good for raw eating as Crimea, Kuganskaya, and Aromatnaya.
(I mean all four varieties are probably pretty close in terms of quality for eating raw, it's just that out of those four Kaunching would come in last place)

I actually saw a bunch of Kaunching trees for sale at my local nursery a year or two ago (and was surprised because that's not a common variety) but didn't get one because I thought the two varieties I already had were probably a little bit better.

It is of course possible I could be wrong about all this, but you just asked my thoughts and opinion.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:38:57 PM by SoCal2warm »

Nicole

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 05:32:04 PM »
" It is of course possible I could be wrong about all this, but you just asked my thoughts and opinion"
and I appreciated it. It is always helpful to know about someone else's experience and opinions as well.  Please keep sharing. It is so rare to find any kind of discussions about  quince. Many people are not familiar with it and does not know what to do with quince.
I did not have any experience growing quince in past. All I remember is eating it )) without thinking about a variety. Sometimes it was good to eat raw, sometimes it had some astringency in it. But either way I can have just a couple of raw slices, I prefer it cooked anyway. Love the smell...everything is nice about quince..beautiful blooming period, fruits on the tree and of cause that delicate smell. It is a real treat!   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:49:18 PM by Nicole »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »
Kuganskaya fruit

September 25, 2019

They are not fully ripe yet but I already had one. Yes, I could eat it raw, but it was very slightly astringent and seemed to be pretty acidic, so much so that it kind of hurt my teeth. Flavor was about one third pear, one third heirloom apple, and one third something else, unique to quince.
The skin of these edible raw quinces are not as fragrant as other normal quinces.

I think these special quinces would be very good with even the slightest bit of cooking or pan searing with a carmelized sauce.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2021, 03:24:37 AM »
An update: The Karp's Sweet has produced several little fruit druplets, but I fear they may drop off.
That type of thing seems to often happen when the tree does not have enough vigor due to lack of previous winter chill.

Meanwhile the Passe Crassane tree seems to be growing very well in its zone 10 climate, which I feel is notable for a European pear.

Edit as of the start of July:
Another update: There are now two fruits on the Karp's Sweet. Each is only about the size of a tangerine now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:00:59 PM by SoCal2warm »