Author Topic: Garden hose  (Read 2678 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Garden hose
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:47:30 PM »
Im thinking to buy a lay flat hose like firefighters hose but the smallest i could find wich is 1 inch.
Anybody has experience with these such small lay flat hoses?
Are they good?They tangle/kink ?
Or i should be better buying regular rubber round garden hose instead.
Looks like this.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:49:55 PM by SeaWalnut »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Garden hose
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »
I had the Aqua Joe Ultra Flexible Kink Free Fiberjacket hose and they quickly sprung leaks.  It came with a no questions asked 2 year warranty, but became an annoyance after a couple replacements.  This one is non-expanding.  I believe the expanding hoses are even more prone to springing leaks

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
I'm going with regular garden hose. But I'm also wandering what you were planning
to do with it in the first place?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 11:33:44 PM »
I keep a lot of fire hoses in 1" and 1.5"

For watering plants rubber hose is better.  If you need to move a lot of water the fire hose is nice but they are heavy and do kink and they wear out easier dragging it around. 
Brad Spaugh

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 11:36:11 PM »
If you need a big hose try a dairy wash down hose. I use a 40mm hose, with cam lock fittings. Takes about 30min to lay down 1500 litres.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 03:16:19 AM »
Thx for advices.
I need a hose to conect it to a small gas powered water pump and to take water from the river,transport it over a slope until it reaches my orchard and wet my trees.
I have 2 small orchards,one with 100 trees and one with 60 trees .
The one with 100 trees has the sewage city water chanel passing near and the otther has the river.
Im thinking to use both,river water and sewage water wich is clean( acceptable,has a lot of phosphates and nitrates in it but plants like these like they like fertiliser).
Il probably need 100 meter long hose split in 3-4  pieces and if the pump has power to push water  through this length of hose il buy more and more ( 300 meters total length would be ideal).
I need something light and not voluminous to carry in a back pack or a wheelbarrow along with the pump .

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
I believe I would think twice before use any municipal waste water.
Consider the risk of heavy metals and other non-organic poisons and pollutants.
Remember... people will flush anything down their toilets and sinks. Poison. Herbicides. Pharmaceuticals. Chemicals. Etc.
It's not just human body wqstes that are a concern.

Kevin Jones

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »
I believe I would think twice before use any municipal waste water.
Consider the risk of heavy metals and other non-organic poisons and pollutants.
Remember... people will flush anything down their toilets and sinks. Poison. Herbicides. Pharmaceuticals. Chemicals. Etc.
It's not just human body wqstes that are a concern.

Kevin Jones
Right now they build a high tech sewage treatment station and in a year or so the water would be even cleaner and treated with UVC light to kill the pathogens.
The sewage water comes from a verry small city thats 4 km away from my village.Its a tiny stream and il have to make a small dam or to drill a hole in the concrete floor of the stream to be able to sink the hose and the filter of the pump.

In USA ,Milwaukee,they make fertiliser from sewage sludge and sell it in supermarkets as Milorganite brand.
Its similar to the sewage water i plan to use.Its free,legal to use unlike using water from the river wich is illegal ( but il use a little with a small pump ,@ 1 cubic meter or so at once).

Also if i cross the sewage stream ,60 meters away after climbing a slope theres a lake of a dam with river water.
I dont want to use water from the dam because i would need more length of hose wich is expensive and also the lake is full of mud on the closest portion to my land .

On my orchard,because the lake its situated above the ground level ,i could simply dig a shallow well like a meter or 2 deep ( would probably become artesian and will flood my land wich i dont want because i allready have a small area thats flooded with ground water).
But its illegal to dig a well without permission on agricultural land.
As far as the food goes,dont worry because i will sell the almonds for export to Belgium. ;D
You eat belgian chocolate with almonds in USA and in a few years its possible that they will be my almonds grown with sewage water from the city. ;D
Joke asside i think its safe to use that water.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:07:15 PM »
I have used these for high capacity water in flood irrigation.
https://www.amazon.com/2-inch-discharge-hose/s?k=2+inch+discharge+hose

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
I have used these for high capacity water in flood irrigation.
https://www.amazon.com/2-inch-discharge-hose/s?k=2+inch+discharge+hose
We have those blue hoses here also but 2 inch is too big.
I want to buy a small pump for 1 inch hose.
The small pump i found its more expensive than 2 or 3 inch pump but i prefer it becajse its easyer to carry than big pump.
I allready have a 3 inch gas pump but thats too heavy ,the hose is also heavy and adds to the weight.
Also if il use 3 inch water pump i dont thonk the sewage drain has enough flow to sustain that.I will make a dam on the sewage drain trench but hope that wont bring me trouble from the sewage station.

The small pump i want to buy for this project is this one.Weighs just 13 kg and its 4 stroke,build to last decades and costs just 150 dollars.
Its made in China not Honda but Loncin is a verry good chinese brand. https://youtu.be/HkBU8Hh3zt4
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:18:10 PM by SeaWalnut »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »
I think 900m is too long for 1" pipe
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »
I think 900m is too long for 1" pipe
I start with 100 m long hose then il add another 20 meters and another 20 meters long hose if the flow is good.
The pump says it pushes 150 meters length of hose but on flat horizontal surface.
I have somme small hills to pass so rhe flow will be good for shorter length of hose.
On the 300 meters long land il wet with the hose like 75 meters and il use buckets for the rest 225 meters.Will get me long arms like a monkey but il be happy i can wet my trees and not have to carry hundreds of buckets of water over small hills.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 12:58:41 AM »
If I remember correctly... Milorganite was originally designed for use on golf courses... not for veggies or fruits.
I would never use it in my garden or on my fruit trees. I guess I am just too paranoid about heavy metals etc.
OK in music... but not in my garden.
Just looking out for you man!

Kevin Jones

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 03:58:18 AM »
In one of the towns I used to live in there was a blue ribbon trout stream, with the most productive stretch being the 20km downstream from the effluent pipe. There were 2 types of trout, one bred in the river and the other migrated to a small set of mountain streams to breed. The ones that bred in the river would produce mostly female offspring (phenotypically) even though they were 50/50 genotypically. Birth control pills, pseudo estrogens in detergents and plastics were implicated. I don’t know if plants would pick those types of chemicals up but interesting. There is a doco from a series “the doc zone” season 3 episode 8 called “the disappearing male” about a similar thing which is a good watch if you don’t mind government sponsored  Canadian public television.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 05:17:46 AM »
In one of the towns I used to live in there was a blue ribbon trout stream, with the most productive stretch being the 20km downstream from the effluent pipe. There were 2 types of trout, one bred in the river and the other migrated to a small set of mountain streams to breed. The ones that bred in the river would produce mostly female offspring (phenotypically) even though they were 50/50 genotypically. Birth control pills, pseudo estrogens in detergents and plastics were implicated. I don’t know if plants would pick those types of chemicals up but interesting. There is a doco from a series “the doc zone” season 3 episode 8 called “the disappearing male” about a similar thing which is a good watch if you don’t mind government sponsored  Canadian public television.
Maybe the females were released by fishermans asociations or by hatcheryes.
You can buy all female or 50/50 or diploid fertilised eggs.
The trout eggs from the poluted with sewage river were most likely shocked .
Its a common procedure for the trout breeders to shock the eggs so that they have more females wich is desirable because they grow double as fast than the males.
Diploid trouts wich are sterile grow even faster than females and 95 percent of the aquacultured rainbow trouts from supermarkets are triploids.
I like to say about rainbow trout thats almost like a carp but brown and brook trouts are much more sensitive to polution ( ie low oxigen) and they really need cold water.
Usually brown trouts are the coldest here and the most sensitive than even brook trout but we have here somme small deep water brook trout species that are super sensitive.
Thos tiny ,most super sensitive brook trouts we have here are called ,,fantanel,, from fantana wich means well.
In old times ,people here used to add a such small brook trout to live in a water well so that they knew the water its clean and safe to drink.
Even today in romania we call the brook trouts ,,fantanel,, wich means the fish of the well.

The hormones,estrogens from sewage ,etc,they are organic compounds wich disintegrate verry fast .
I wouldnt worry about them and i dont think il see the  frogs turned homosexual in the sewage trench.

With the new regulations from the EU on the enviroment,we will soon have almost drinkable water from the sewage.
I will probably regret that theres too little fertiliser in the sewage stream  ;D .

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 09:10:45 PM »
Lee County in SW Floridaa is a model for sewage sludge recovery. Most counties in Florida dump their sludge on land which is not a good practice. Our county teamed up with adjacent ones to compost the sludge at high tmperature very professionally along with ground yard waste. The product is tested and high quality.
https://www.leegov.com/solidwaste/residential/compost

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
Lee County in SW Floridaa is a model for sewage sludge recovery. Most counties in Florida dump their sludge on land which is not a good practice. Our county teamed up with adjacent ones to compost the sludge at high tmperature very professionally along with ground yard waste. The product is tested and high quality.
https://www.leegov.com/solidwaste/residential/compost
Nice recycling plant and the compost looks good too .
Milwaukee with their Milorganite are also a good example of recycling and they do it for 90 years allready.
Here we have the biggest recycling company in south eastern Europe and they also make compost thogh they dont sell it to supermakets iet.
We have nice ,stainless steel garbage bins that are underground and when they come to take the garbage they lift the whole underground platform.
Each platform has 3 bins and one is for compost making material.

I have a hat from the garbage company wich sometimes i like to wear it out in the city.Nobody wants to go out with me when i wear that hat and neighbours started to think i work as garbage colector.
Nice hat that not even monney can buy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:17:44 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »
Wich water pump should i buy?
Ducati ,italian made wich is used and 30 % cheaper than the chinese.
It has 2 stroke motor,noizy,polutes a lot ,eats a lot of fuel but its light and easy to carry.

Or Loncin,a good quality chinese brand wich is 4 strokes,vibrates less ,consumes less fuel, not too noizy and polutes a lot less ( they say its euro 5).
Brand new with 2 years warranty costs just 30% more than the used Ducati.Its also a bit more heavy.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:09:57 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 06:09:35 AM »
I am thinking to buy this ,,economic,, hose instead of the firefighter hose.
Its called economic because its verry cheap @ 1euro/4 meters of 3/8 inch thick.
Has nice reinforcement,nice black rubber interior to prevent algae growth,but the reviews skared me.
Everybody curses it because it kinks and twist altough to me it seemed to perform well .

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 09:09:41 AM »
I would say as long as the hose is not moved... then you should not experience kinking or pinching issues.
As a regular backyard hose dragger myself... I am very familiar with these issues.

Kevin Jones

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »
Thx Kevin.I finally bought the Loncin water pump and 50 meters of 3/4 hose,the green one,the cheapest.
I bought the hose allready kinked  :D but i hope once it will lay flat it will recover.
One thing im not happy with ,its that the hose plus the pump are still quite heavy.
Pump weights 13 kg and altough its 4 stroke and it will last for decades i start to wish i would have bought a lighter 2 stroke water pump .
Ive also considered to buy the lithium ion battery pump from Einhell( Einhell Aquinna) .
Now it just rained for a week ,but once the drought starts il make a review for the Loncin pump and the cheap hose .