Author Topic: Asimina triloba experience in Colorado  (Read 6496 times)

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Asimina triloba experience in Colorado
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:27 AM »
In 1999 (15 years ago) I planted 2 Asimina triloba (pawpaw) seedlings, each 1 year old, of unknown but supposedly "good" parentage.

One didn't make it through the first winter, but the other slowly grew over the years. 

Pawpaw are supposedly zone-5 hardy, but prefer acidic soil, low wind, and lots of water.  My area of Colorado is zone 5 (-25F max-- at least in the past 20 years) of high-altitude (5200 feet above sea level) desert-- 14" moisture per year on average, with extremely alkaline (pH 8.2-8.4) heavy clay "soil".  Even worse, we often have 6-8 weeks of warm non-freezing weather in the spring, followed by a hard freeze before the warm season really begins.  Only 5 of the approximately 30 grafted and seedling trees I've planted to date survived their first winter.  But my remaining original seedling tree has slowly grown each year and has never been fooled by the late frosts-- or the early frosts-- yet.

In 2009 (10 years old) it bloomed for the first time; I tried self-pollination but nothing set.

For the next 5 years (2010-2014) I drove to one or both of the other 2 blooming-size pawpaw trees in the state of Colorado (that I'm aware of) trying to cross-pollinate my tree.  The other trees are 30 and 50 miles away from me, so a single act of cross-pollination takes 2-3 hours.   No fruit set at all, until this spring.

This spring about 80% of the 70 or so flowers I hand-pollinated started setting fruit, whether the pollen was from my tree or another.  Ultimately though, all the self-pollinated fruit clusters dropped off at about 1" long (per fruit).  3 cross-pollinated clusters held on and got larger-- 2 of 1 lobe / fruit, 1 of 2 lobes / fruits. 

A visiting dog removed 1 of the fruits midway through the summer (along with the whole 4'x5' branch it was on).  15 years after planting it, and with 5 years of driving for hours each spring trying to cross-pollinate it, I wanted to taste the fruit.

Here are 2 of the 3 remaining fruit in mid-August:

I jealously guarded the remaining fruit from squirrels, who were luckily much more interested in the adjacent peach tree.  It started getting cold here about a month ago; we could have had a frost or hard freeze many times by now, but the pawpaw fruit weren't showing any signs of ripeness.

4 days ago after several near-frosts and one very slight frost, I noticed that a squirrel had taken a bite out of one of the still-firm and fully green fruit.  Fearing it would rot or get attacked again, I picked it. 

I've been waiting 15 years to try this fruit, and I had to pick my first one before it wanted to come off the tree.

After sitting on the counter for 3 days, it started giving off a wonderful aroma of jackfruit and Granny Smith apples, but was still firm.

This evening it had the same fragrance, just more intense, and the undamaged fruit was soft, so I cut it open:

My first chance to try the fruit from a tenacious but otherwise unknown seedling (and my first pawpaw fruit ever):

Seed to flesh ratio: Poor; about 40% seed, 60% flesh.  I got about 1/3 cup of flesh out of the fruit.

Texture: 90% ripe banana, 10% pear / ripe cherimoya.  Very pleasant in my opinion.

Flavor: I'm horrible at describing flavor, but I'd say it was 90% really good cherimoya (though not quite as sweet), 10% bubble gum.  No noticeable different aftertaste.  Very, very tasty in my opinion.  Almost worth waiting 15 years for, and certainly worth the drive to cross-pollinate next year if necessary.  Hopefully next year I can get more than 3 fruit!

I still have 1 fruit hanging on the tree and the damaged fruit which will likely be eaten tomorrow-- it just isn't quite as soft as the one I ate tonight.

There's nothing quite like trying a new fruit for the first time; pawpaw has been on my list for a long time and it looks like I got lucky with a good-tasting seedling; I'd rather have a poor seed-to-flesh ratio than a poorly-flavored fruit with no seeds.  I look forward to tasting the 7 other named varieties I've got growing!

Kevin

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
Re: Asimina triloba experience in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:49:38 AM »
Here's a picture of the top 2/3 of the tree from a month ago that I should have included above:

In the past 2 days its leaves are starting to turn yellow; for 15 years it has never been wrong about the last frost of spring or the first frost of fall, so if I'm to believe its forecasting abilities, I only have about a week to enjoy fresh tomatoes before the first frost.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
Wow, congrats! That's a real victory there!  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

plantrant

• texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:19:05 AM »
I salute your patience and effort, even though the results so far have underwhelmed. If you wanted to get your cross pollination done at home, I could mail to you some other varieties to graft to your tree in Spring.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:21:06 AM by plantrant »

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Great story and photos!

Would it work to graft a branch from the tree 50 miles away onto your tree?  Would that eliminate the need to hand pollinate?

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
Thanks all,

I have another 2 varieties grafted onto the tree so far, with 5 more ready to go on in Spring 2015.  The grafted branches just didn't bear any flowers this spring so I still had to travel for pollen.

My 2nd-oldest pawpaw tree-- a 6-year-old grafted 'Sunflower' variety about 5' tall-- did set a lot of flower buds last fall, but then decided to die back to just above the graft this spring before breaking dormancy.  None of my other varieties (including grafts on the big tree) seem to be setting flower buds this fall either, so next spring I'll probably still have to travel for pollen.

Even when I have multiple varieties on the same tree I'll likely still hand-pollinate to help with fruit set, but at least I won't have to travel for the pollen!

Kevin

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »
That is some dedication! I can't wait to hear about next seasons fruit!
Life is good

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Congratulations!

I once sent three pawpaw plants to Taos, New Mexico, to a property associated with El Monte Sagrado resort.  I never heard back what became of them.
Har

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »
My grandma in upstate New York has two she got from a nursery that are now 15-20' tall and haven't flowered yet.  I have 5 seedlings in pots growing.  Would love to have them fruiting here alongside cherimoya, atemoyas and sugar apple

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:07 PM »
CONGRATS!!!

WOW THAT TREE IS A BEAUTY!

I'M JEALOUS OF YOUR PAWPAWLERY
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »
Thanks all,

I cut open the 2nd fruit today and shared it with my co-workers- everyone agreed it is delicious.  Not just good, but excellent.  I'm hoping the named varieties I have with supposedly superior seed-to-flesh ratio and better yields taste this good!

My grandma in upstate New York has two she got from a nursery that are now 15-20' tall and haven't flowered yet.  I have 5 seedlings in pots growing.  Would love to have them fruiting here alongside cherimoya, atemoyas and sugar apple

My tree has taken 15 years to reach 9' tall; that may be from getting full sun, high wind and extreme winter cold from an early age.  But 20' tall without a flower?  Even in a marginal climate, mine bloomed at 5 feet tall (9 years old).

Kevin

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »
I am really excited about your success. I recently moved to Logan Utah from San Diego ca, and I have been worried about what I will be able to grow...I guess what I won't be able to grow.

Anyway, I am as big fan of the annonaceae and was going to be successful with paw paw here. I brought a bunch of cherimoya with me, but I don't have a greenhouse yet, so not sure what to do.

Your success and your description of the texture and flavor had me very excited.

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk