Author Topic: Low spread out shape of Nam Doc Mai #4 when young  (Read 2659 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Low spread out shape of Nam Doc Mai #4 when young
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Low spread out shape of Nam Doc Mai #4 when young --3 years. I have been tip pruning it. I have two of them (young) that spread wide like this. The plastic pipe in photo is 63". My older NDM is ball shaped. So the NDM tendency is low, not upward and tall like a Haden or Kent

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Low spread out shape of Nam Doc Mai #4 when young
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
Very healthy looking tree. I can't wait for my Nam Doc Mai to get that big. I just planted my NDM last June 13. I have a question, do your NDM flowering right now? Mine appears to be pushing flowers at the moment and I am a bit confused as do my NDM seems to be? BTW, I bought mine from ECHO's in Cape Coral. I wonder what variety/stock of NDM they have.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:24:49 PM by jegpg1 »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »
Your tip pruning has definitely paid off and the trees look great. I plan to tip prune mine as soon as I pull the last mango off
as it's getting up to about 7'.
Michael

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »
My understanding with mangos is that tipping promotes vegetative growth and branching where you cut. The terminal ends you cut off are where the flowers normally come from correct? I'll take a picture when I get back home tomorrow, but if you tipped every place like that you wouldn't get flowers potentially, is that correct?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
My NDM#4 (from Treehouse) looks the same but it is in its second year. I began mulching in the summer of 2012 and my trees have flushed more regularly and frequently since then. I am a maniacal mango tipper until the beginning of August. The fence is 6 feet tall. Sorry about the camera angle - I live on flat land. :-[
NDM#4 on the left, Pickering in the middle, Mahachanok on the right and a small Grimal jaboticaba in front:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:11:18 PM by phantomcrab »
Richard

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
Nice trees Zands and Phantomcrab!! Nice job on the pruning...

Jegpg1, I don't have a NDM but its interesting yours is blooming in August...very cool!

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
Puglvr1, I am surprised to see flowers on this new Nam Doc in August as well. We'll see next August if it does again. Rigt now, I am going to remove any fruit set. It's too small to even try to fruit.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »
Puglvr1, I am surprised to see flowers on this new Nam Doc in August as well. We'll see next August if it does again. Rigt now, I am going to remove any fruit set. It's too small to even try to fruit.

That's a very good idea Jegpg1...maybe next year you can let a couple fruits mature...Good luck!!