Author Topic: Coco mulch vs coir fiber on Annonas  (Read 1458 times)

adhawk76

• USA, California, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Coco mulch vs coir fiber on Annonas
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
There is a local urban nursery called City Nursery here in San Diego that says it has both coco mulch and coir fiber.  What is the difference?  I was thinking about putting one or both of these on my cherimoya trees that I am currently grafting a bunch of scions of other varieties and other annonas onto.  I'm creating sort of franken-annonas.  Would either of these be good to use as mulch or should I just use regular wood chips?  Has anyone from San Diego ever been to this nursery?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:25:19 PM by adhawk76 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Coco mulch vs coir fiber on Annonas
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
I have been to that place like 20 years ago.  They have been there forever.  You want regular tree trimmer mulch not coco for your fruit tree mulch.  The coco coir is for making soil with.  You can use the chips also for making well draining soil blends.  But they don't have nutrients.  Its like perlite or any hydroponic soil-less media.  For top dressing look for coarse mulch or wood chips. 
Brad Spaugh

adhawk76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »
Cool.  Thanks, spaugh.  Do you know anywhere I can get a smaller amount of wood chips that I can pick up in my suv?  Most places like that will only load into a truck and only very large amounts.  I know I can get them from a tree trimming service for free, but they're gonna dump their whole load in my driveway and I don't need that much.  I probably only need half of a cubic yard at the most.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 06:42:33 PM »
Miramar landfill has free mulch to residents of sandiego.  Or you can buy it for 12$ a yard if you dont live in SD city.  I have tons of it if you are near Poway, you can have some for free. 
Brad Spaugh

adhawk76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »
I looked into the mulch at the landfill, but it says that mulch is mixed with yard clippings and I was worried about chemicals being in it, like Roundup.  I think their wood chips are clean and I wouldn't mind paying for them, but again they will only fill a truck with 2 full yards.  I'm not sure if they'll just let me fill 3 or 4 trash bags like they do the free mulch.  I might just hit you up.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
Miramar lets you drive in and get as much or as little as you want.  I've used tons of the landill stuff its fine.
Brad Spaugh

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
I only use coconut husk in Thailand for mulching trees, I would use more wood mulch but not available, but a chipper is on my wish list, for now I burn wood in pits and try to make boichar out of it, which I just mix with the husk.  I also use composted grass clippings, or dried dead grass clippings if the weather permits for mulching.  I do not use twigs, leaves, logs, half or quarter split coconut husks, or rocks, pita if you ask me.  Costs me about $150 for a dump truck sized load.  The coir has the outer harder shell sifted out during chopping, but it has consistency of saw dust and will break down much faster.

here are some thoughts on husk:
1.  wood has many varieties,  and most mulch mixes in leaves during chipping, occasionally seeds, many different grades. husk you just get coarse, medium, fine (coir) and a varying salt content.
2.  the coconut will have to be applied thicker since it breaks down faster
3.  the coconut husk more resistant to bacteria, and I've yet to find phosphorus in composting coir.  Also seems to be less gnats than wood chips
4.  coconut husk can be highly flammable, the fibers will catch from a slight spark if somebody is smoking nearby, and could smolder into a fire possibly if you are not careful, so watch out if 'fresh', keep it well watered at first
5. the coconut husk will hold water very well once slightly decomposed, when fresh it is actually very absorbent and will cause irrigation problems, so keep it away from the trunk of trees due it never letting the trunk dry out.  You might want to run drip lines under the husk until it breaks down some.  Another good reason to keep it well watered or apply in wet season.
6. You can cut the coconut husk with your wheedwhacker if the edges are showing grass, it just turns it into coir.
7.  Since the coconut husk breaks down faster you can create topsoil faster with application of grass clippings and manure.  wood chips always just seem to be wood chips, even after years of decomposing. 

Anyways, I think for you where you are at, the cost of husk must be high, wood chips are practically free.  Take the whole truckload, and compost it yourself professionally in a big pile somewhere, keeping it wet 24/7 in the shade, add coco husk, manure, clippings into it to make it better.  Turn it over every few weeks.  After two months you will have something very good to apply to your trees that will also prevent weeds.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 11:46:06 PM »
some examples of coconut husk mulch:

new thing trying out, coir mat

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
nice pics.  Coco is awesome.  So many uses, but it is super expensive here.  Its 2$ per kilo here for dry and compressed coir and husk chips.
Brad Spaugh

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »
kind of expensive in Thailand as well if considering you have to apply it 4 times a year or more to use it like mulch.  Need to get a good chipper, have unlimited source of free wood branches from neighbors and temple nearby.