Author Topic: Does Star Apple Taste Any Good?  (Read 6747 times)

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Does Star Apple Taste Any Good?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
I recall Mike T from Aus posting about other color forms (gold, pink, pearl) that they have there that are supposed to be superior to the purples & green.  He & Oscar also talked about a cousin, C. argentium var. auratum, that is supposed to also be a cut above the common caimito.  I haven't tried the auratums yet but have trees in the ground from Oscar & Mike (still a few years to go).
There are many species of chrysophyllum, and i believe they are all edible. The pink is the same as the Chrysophyllum argenteum var. auratum. The pink starapple tree made a lot of fruits this year, over 200. They are sweeter than regular starapple, have longer season, only one seed per fruit, but fruit is a bit smaller than regular starapple.
I mailed seeds to many people, including forum members, a couple weeks ago. Sorry but no more seeds for a couple of months. There is a new crop already on the tree, but fruits are still small.

Oscar, are there more cold tolerant species besides Chrysophyllum cainito? What about auratum?
I concur 100% with Oscar, Mike and John: top-tier fruit for sure.
Oscar: I also have pink cultivars and agree that they're better but smaller. Can you clarify? you're saying pink cultivar is same species as Chrysophyllum argenteum var. auratum?
Two other benefits of this fruit IMO: 1. Can stay on the tree longer when ripe (i.e. doesn't fall to ground or gets overripe easily) and 2. Doesn't get fruit flies in my experience.
Federico
Homestead, FL

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
I recall Mike T from Aus posting about other color forms (gold, pink, pearl) that they have there that are supposed to be superior to the purples & green.  He & Oscar also talked about a cousin, C. argentium var. auratum, that is supposed to also be a cut above the common caimito.  I haven't tried the auratums yet but have trees in the ground from Oscar & Mike (still a few years to go).
There are many species of chrysophyllum, and i believe they are all edible. The pink is the same as the Chrysophyllum argenteum var. auratum. The pink starapple tree made a lot of fruits this year, over 200. They are sweeter than regular starapple, have longer season, only one seed per fruit, but fruit is a bit smaller than regular starapple.
I mailed seeds to many people, including forum members, a couple weeks ago. Sorry but no more seeds for a couple of months. There is a new crop already on the tree, but fruits are still small.

Oscar, are there more cold tolerant species besides Chrysophyllum cainito? What about auratum?
I concur 100% with Oscar, Mike and John: top-tier fruit for sure.
Oscar: I also have pink cultivars and agree that they're better but smaller. Can you clarify? you're saying pink cultivar is same species as Chrysophyllum argenteum var. auratum?
Two other benefits of this fruit IMO: 1. Can stay on the tree longer when ripe (i.e. doesn't fall to ground or gets overripe easily) and 2. Doesn't get fruit flies in my experience.

What about cold hardiness for Ch. argenteum v. auratum?
Zone Pusher

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »

Oscar,
How big do the auratums need to get to start to bear?

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 04:50:08 AM »
I have a little ‘juicy pearl’ in the ground from Steve. Anyone know what species they are?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »
Don't know about its cold hardiness. Don't know about what Juicy Pearl is. Those are names that were made up in Australia. You can do a search inside the forum and see what forum member Mike T said n the past about what Juicy Pearl is.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
C.auratum is also a dwarf plant compared to chrysophyllum cainito right?this is great for those who don't have much space and it also fruit all year round

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
C.auratum is also a dwarf plant compared to chrysophyllum cainito right?this is great for those who don't have much space and it also fruit all year round
Not sure if it's really dwarf or just a lot slower growing. It's about 15 years old now and is about 15 feet tall.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:18 PM »
Not sure if it's really dwarf or just a lot slower growing. It's about 15 years old now and is about 15 feet tall.
I believe you got lucky because maybe your tree is a dwarf variety.maybe more effort needs to be done to popularized your tree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:23 AM »
I believe you got lucky because maybe your tree is a dwarf variety.maybe more effort needs to be done to popularized your tree.
I wouldn't call it dwarf, just not as large as most regular starapple trees get. I've assumed that's a trait of this different species. But not sure because i only have one tree growing.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk